Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » STD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STD
worriedsick
Neophyte
Member # 5779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for worriedsick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone, I have just found this site, and I would be really grateful for any advice.

I am mega depressed at the moment, and full of fears. I had sex recently for the first time, and unfortunately i was not always 100% careful with condoms. (I am a girl by the way). I have now been diagnosed with genital warts, and have got treatment for them. I had a full STD check while I was there, and I am waiting to hear if there is any comeback from that. I have to get through the next three weeks not knowing.

I am also terrified at the link between the virus that causes the warts, and cervical cancer. I had a smear test a few months ago, and have to go back in December (6 months later) because they said there were "minor changes".

If anyone else has ever suffered from warts I would love to hear from them (a) do they go away and (b) am i going to get cancer for definite?

Any advice would be appreciated, I am sick with worry.

I have also resolved never to have sex again.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey sweetie.

HPV unfortunately does NOT go away. However, a person can have HPV and never get a wart again. Doesn't mean you don't have it anymore, but it does mean it's less likely to transmit and/or make you ill.

In terms of cervical cancer, no, having HPV does NOT mean you will get cervical cancer. The important thing is that you be sure from now on to get your annual GYN exam and pap smear on time every year without fail. That way, your doc can be on the lookout for warning signs.

You also don't have to be celibate for the rest of your life unless you want to. But what you do have to do now is learn to have sex sfaely, which means not just using condoms for intercourse and oral sex, but dams for oral sex, AND regular STD screens for yourself AND your partners. But this is what everyone should be doing anyway, STI or no. And to make you feel a little better, condoms during intercourse are only so effective against genital warts because a condom does not cover the entire genital area. So, even if you use condoms every time without fail perfectly, you could still end up with HPV.

So, breathe easy. No, it isn't fun, but it is manageable. For more info on HPV -- which is, btw, the most common STI around these days, so you're hardly alone -- check this out: http://www.scarleteen.com/infection/hpv_2.html

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 11-05-2001).]

Posts: 67127 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.