Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » How Do I Tell Them I'm Sure?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How Do I Tell Them I'm Sure?
Stephen-Renae
Neophyte
Member # 50171

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen-Renae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I got my gut to stop tossing, and I came out to my mom as Transgendered last night. I am 17, living at home, and she already knows I'm bi. Actually, she took this news very well in her own way ), and she agreed wholeheartedly that we need to look into therapy.

However, she thinks that I'm confused. She's 50, and well...she forgets things. She says that I once told her that I'm gay, when I said no such thing. I've never once believed myself to be gay. So, she thinks I went from Gay>Bi>Transgender, and so thinks I'm confused. I tried to tell her that I was sure, and she asked the time-tested, dreaded question:

"How do you know?"

And I don't know how to answer. I've always known? I can't go off ans describe every little moment where I've felt like a boy. So, has anyone else been asked this ( I'm sure there's got to be someone out there )? How did you answer?

Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think everyone who is out (whether it be about their gender identity, sexual orientation, whatever) has been asked that question at least once. Sometimes it can help to turn the question around, and ask how THEY knew when they were cis or straight. Otherwise, just saying you know who you are and you shouldn't need to explain your identity any more than anyone else can be a good response.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen-Renae
Neophyte
Member # 50171

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen-Renae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind if/when it comes up again [Smile]
Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think "I've always known" is an incredibly powerful statement in just three words, and one that would tend to be the answer for most trans people, if not all.

I also think that answer really should suffice. If it doesn't, it should at least perhaps open the door to some decent discussion, especially since it sounds like your mother is reacting far better than so many parents do to children who are gendervariant.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IraSass
Neophyte
Member # 50013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IraSass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"i've always known" is true for many trans people, but not all. i certainly didn't know i was trans until i was about 21 or 22! i just wanted to point out that this model doesn't work for all of us, and can actually be damaging to folks who are trying to figure their gender stuff out and thinking "but i can't possibly be trans, i haven't ALWAYS KNOWN."
Posts: 9 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bornpurple
Neophyte
Member # 48802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bornpurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I certainly haven't always known either. I had knowledge that I felt like a boy, but not that I WAS a boy. I thought I was just some weird girl. [Razz]

It was my later teens when I realized transition was possible that I started to question and come to terms with things.

Posts: 12 | From: Cali | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ira: I hear you, but I think that when someone is speaking their own truth to someone in their life, and their own truth IS that they have always known, they get to say that and don't need to worry about what impact it may have for those whose truth it isn't, you know?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.