Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Authentic Gender Moments (for trans/GQ/transgressive folks)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Authentic Gender Moments (for trans/GQ/transgressive folks)
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently got my first chest binder and it makes me so happy I can't stop smiling when I have it on. [Smile] (Except when I'm in public. Then I'm one tough butch...not really [Razz] ).

It's such a beyond awesome feeling to have your gender expression feel Right. I wanted to make a thread for other people to share their gender victories. Big or small; whatever is significant to you.

These can be things that happened recently, or for those of you farther along in a transition, moments your remember as turning points. What are things that have made you feel good in your skin?

Was there a first item of clothing or accessory you acquired that just made you feel great? A time you felt at home in your body because of how you were read or referred to? Maybe a momentous haircut?

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love this post.

I remember that for me, the punk scene in the early 80's was a really good haven for me when it came to my gender identity. I could show up looking femme when I wanted to, butch when I wanted to, but regardless of how I looked, if I was in the mosh pit holding my own with everybody else of all genders, I felt like my gender was simply irrelevant, in no kind of category or binary, and that was really freeing. Binary gender always felt like such a drag for me, so being able to play with those binaries with my appearance, but transgress them when it came to the social aspects of all of it was just a great thing, and I found few other environments back then that allowed me that.

[ 11-14-2009, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67221 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bluejumprope, what does "transgressive" mean in this sense? Someone who transgresses gender norms?

PS- Glad the binder makes you feel awesome [Smile] !

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is what I meant, eryn_smiles: someone who transgresses gender norms. Someone whose gender identity is at odds with mainstream culture.

I wanted this to be a space for transgressions primarily related to physical expression--things having to do with feeling authentic in your body--but like Heather's post touched on, there could be related social or behavioral elements too.

(Thanks [Smile] )

[ 11-18-2009, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: bluejumprope ]

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonnie.N.Clyde
Activist
Member # 34135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonnie.N.Clyde     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was playing with gender I was tickled when a little boy on the bus (that makes a trip to the local community college) asked his mom "Where's he going?" (referring to me). I was wearing a very gangster outfit but I didn't think Mom would register me as male. His mom answered- "He's a big boy, he's going to the college." I was like *success!*

Now I feel beautiful when I can put together a really crazy outfit with a mix of lumberjack and indie girl inspirations and just feel really individual and good about me and everyone around me!

--------------------
-
"And when everyone is super, no one will be."

-Syndrome, "THE INCREDIBLES"

Posts: 116 | From: Olympia, WA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheWhiteCrayon
Neophyte
Member # 45121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheWhiteCrayon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently made a set of binders for myself out of old pantyhose (ha!) and cut my hair shorter, and, while at a McD's the other day, the cashier called me a "helpful young man".

I could not stop smiling for hours. |D

Posts: 1 | From: Little Mexico | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.