Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Modern Gender Roles

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Modern Gender Roles
orangefanta85
Neophyte
Member # 24984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orangefanta85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had once assumed that 21st century America was an enlightened place (relative to other times and places) where, even if not everyone could realize that there are multiple identities for gender, at least those put in the 'female' box could play on the high school football team, and those put in the 'male' box could be prize-winning ikebana style flower arrangers if they wanted to, pursuits stereotypically in the past not open to them.

I have always identified as female, which happens to match my biological sex. I was raised in an empowering environment which taught me that as a young woman I could enjoy the activities that were previously reserved for men. I thought nothing of the 1/4 female:male ratio in my advanced economics and security policy classes, or that I happened to be the only female in our school's strategic board games club. So what if I enjoy calculus and spending my Saturday afternoons plotting European air raid campaigns with little plastic pieces. I had thought that two female Secretaries of State, one of whom had also been National Security Advisor, were proof that our society had got over most of its hangups on gender roles, childern's toy marketing not withstanding. I was wrong.

One afternoon, in the middle of an exciting game of Axis and Allies, I offer to get anyone who wants one a cup of tea. I wanted one for myself, and I thought it was nice to share. From the kitchen, I can hear the voice of on of the players shouting, "Hey! [insert ex-boyfriend's name here] You've got her exactly where you want her- barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen!" Loud guffaws echo through the house, involving everyone (they were all male)including my boyfriend at the time. "Well, at least that's two out of three!" came the quick follow-up sentence from the wiseacre. I find it prudent to mention that I was, indeed, not wearing any shoes at the time. I was absolutely mortified, incensed, and speechless. Though it was intended as a joke, I do believe, I found it not at all amusing. What's a girl to do in a room like that?

Posts: 1 | From: CO, USA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My my, what IS a girl to do? I suppose you have two options: to take it in silence and possibly face more comments like it in the future or to explain with dignity that you don't find that type of humour amusing in the slightest and that you won't tolerate another such comment. Personally, I would opt for the latter. Although one does risk being laughed at and having your request for respect dismissed, I believe it's better to stand up for yourself than to keep silent. Sometimes it can be difficult, but some things need to be addressed.
Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.