Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » The "New" Feminism

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The "New" Feminism
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This article recently appeared in the newspapers in Australia, and raised some interesting issues. What is your view on it??
Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that article really made me think! I had to laugh at the word 'McFeminism', but it's true - I think this 'new' feminism started off as a marketing tool, a way of making money, and that's sad. I admire the 'real' feminists - the suffragettes who chained themselves to railings and suffered so that women today can vote. They are the brave women who fought to have their voices heard!

'New' feminism is very fake. I mean, it's all very well wearing a Girl Power t-shirt, but isn't that just a fashion statement? Real feminism isn't about being a pop legend or a superhero, it's about fighting for what you believe in all the way, no matter what...well that's what I think anyway
*Badger*

------------------
Little boys lie still, awake,
Wondering, wondering,
Delicate little boxes of dust - James Wright

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingBri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't believe the hype.

Except most of us do. If someone wants to wear a Girl Power t-shirt, I think that's grand. While that individual may be oblivious to the meaning behind the message, other people may not be. In order to feed the message to people, you have to deliver it over and over again, and across the breasts of young teens is as good a place as any.

Is McFeminism a pop commodity? Sure. But so were condoms in the 80's, and the message was successful. Condoms were "cool" for quite a long time because of the mass media distribution of that message.

Same thing, different commodity.

Posts: 848 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oof, this whole "girl power" feminism just rubs me the wrong way. Here are my responses to some quotes from the article:

"Girls today don't want to marry the hero – they want to become the hero."

Hmm, perhaps, but it's still all about men. Girls want to be a "hero" like Britney Spears, because then all the men will find her attractive and she'll have lots of money to buy sexy clothes with. The don't need to marry a hero, because they can sleep with all the hottest guys in the world!

"She doesn't need a man to define her – she's staked her own claim to the privileges of both femininity and masculinity."

That's what bothers me... I'm all for people defining themselves without being limited to traits that are stereotypically associated with their gender. But these "heroes" are just taking the worst of both sexes! The masculine drive to succeed, no matter who you step on, + "feminine wiles"... oh please.

"They criticise male-dominated industries and profit from them at the same time."

In other words, they are sleeping with the enemy.

And now for a change of pace, some quotes I like:

"If '70s feminism was built on ideals of authenticity and solidarity, '90s feminism was built on fantasies of individual self-advancement. Now every Madonna wannabe evokes the mythology that women can already do everything."

And that's a very harmful myth.

"Girls are told they can do anything. But the reality is only a minority will find fame and fortune in glamorous careers. Many more will find themselves forced into "McJobs" – low pay, low status jobs in the service industries."

Yep. Your McFeminism won't save you now! Capitalism's not so much fun when you're on the bottom, is it?

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by badly_behaved_badger:
Real feminism isn't about being a pop legend or a superhero, it's about fighting for what you believe in all the way, no matter what

But we must remember that what some pop stars believe in is singing, expressing themselves to an audience, and having attention. Our goals in life are all different: my mom wants to be a nurse, my friend Rochelle wants to be a politician, and Madonna wants to "rule the world". Unfortunately (in my opinion), the person who receives the most attention is Madonna. (Though I must admit, I am a devoted Madonna fan). But I don't think we should bash pop stars, because all they did was acheive their goals. We should go after the people who make them airbrushed and manipulate us into believing we should spend millions of dollars buying their merhandise and endless hours watching them on television.

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.