Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » tonight 10pm EDT on TLC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: tonight 10pm EDT on TLC
John Doe
Activist
Member # 3836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Doe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tonight the learning channel is airing a show on people who are neither XX or XY. I just saw the ad for it, so I don't know how good it will be but it should be interesting. Generally the stuff that TLC puts on is very high quality.
Posts: 475 | From: ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting this. I went to TLC's website and it looks like it should be a very interesting program. Now, if I can just convince someone to tape it for me, since I'm too darn poor to afford cable... [grumble mutter]

[scrambles around trying to find a friend who has cable, knows how to work their vcr, and won't be squicked out by the subject matter]

BTW, it's also airing at 1:00 a.m. tonight, in case anyone misses the 10:00 p.m. airing.

Kythryne

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm turning on the tv to channel 63 (that is TLC) right now. It's a trauma show commercial so I'm afraid. Ouch, this guy has a saw up his nose. Yikes, that looks really painful. This isn't a commercial, this is the show. Ewww. That looks like it hurts a lot. I hope it's over soon. The doctors think the saw might be deep enough to affect his brain. Yuck.

I hope the show I want to see is on soon. This is scary.

Edited because I was typing while I was watching and made a couple of spelling errors so most of the message wasn't exactly legible. All better now.

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 10-08-2001).]

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Doe
Activist
Member # 3836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Doe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you just missed it, Trama, life and Death in the ER was on after the show. Then again you are in a different time zone so they might have a different schedule out there.
Posts: 475 | From: ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I did see it, it was really good. Pretty sad too.

There was this story about this little boy who had been born with a testicle and penis, but the doctors wanted to make him a girl and the mother said no, they couldn't do that. But, when the doctor supposedly was doing a "biopsy" of the testicle to find out if it was cancerous he took the chance to remove it. There's this whole legal suing thing going on now. The whole tone of the show was very sad, about how how hard it is to be neither gender.

Another guy did have an ovary and the parents had allowed the surgery when he was born to remove his penis, but he didn't get breasts in middle school so he went on estrogen. The big problem was that he started menstruating with nowhere for the menses to go, so he was rushed to the hospital where emergency surgery was performed. Kinda made me realize how much I take my body functioning normally for granted.

Anyone else see it?

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw it as well. I had seen it quite a few months ago, but I watched it again yesterday.

The whole thing with the man having his penis sewn to his pubic bone to make a clitoris and the little boy having his testicle removed just reaffirmed my beliefs -- If I ever have another child, and if that child has "ambiguous genitals" as the show put it, I will fight as hard as I can for that child to be left "as is." I don't believe gender is something one can decide for someone else.

I was also sickened at the whole part with the little boy -- "Doctors want to make this rambunctious little boy into a girl". Gender stereotypes galore!!! I know many, many little girls who are roughhousers, and my little boy prefers barbie dolls to his trucks, hands down.

But all in all, it was a good show -- if anyone missed it, try to catch it the next time around!

------------------
How can you not like muffins?!

This surely was the product of a twisted mind.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunatly, i didn't happen to see it, but i have to agree with aria51, "I don't believe gender is something one can decide for someone else."

I was watching another show on TLC a few weeks ago, where the baby was really a boy, and the mother has surgury done, which didn't exactly define her son as a boy or girl, and she said that when he hits puberty, he can decide what he wants to be.

------------------
"where'ths my mommy?"
-Shawna

Akimsa (non-violence)

~Erin~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw this show as well ... It was so sad I do'nt know how else to put it. I would never want to put my child through that ...
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.