Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Questioning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Questioning
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 3 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always considered myself 100% female, woman, girl, etc. Recently, I've been sneaking off to my local GLBT bookstore after work to read My Gender Workbook by Kate Bornstein. It's all about questioning, doing away with, and reconstructing gender. So after reading this book for hours on end with weird bookstore music playing in the background, I got really confused. I started asking myself questions that I'd never asked myself before, and then I almost started crying in the middle of the bookstore, so I had to save my questioning for later. What's the point of gender anyway? If I list 1000 qualities that apply to myself, do I add anything by including that I am female? Is the binary gender system just a big excuse to make automatic judgements? Is gender relevant? What determines gender? Why is "girl" part of my username? Do I really get to be asking all these questions as someone with female genitalia who enjoys wearing dresses and makeup?

So, those are most of my big questions . . . still thinking very hard about the answers, and also thinking that the answers might not be as important as the questions.

------------------
*Limes Are Sublime*

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think gender is kinda ... iffy, for lack of better word. I get so mad when people ask me if I'm a boy or girl. Seriously. Does it matter? For some reason I feel that it's kind of societies doing that it should be known what genatalia you have and how you should dress because of that. Did that make sense?

Regardless. The concept of defined gender (like someone is either male or female) enrages me.

[This message has been edited by DrQuack5 (edited 07-31-2001).]

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always been kinda confused about this too. And w/ questioning your gender comes questioning your sexuality. It was a very confusing spot in my life ... and i'm still there.

I'm not really your average girl, i guess. I do'nt do stereotypical girl things ... I just know i'm a girl by what's b/w my legs. It's not fair, i know, but it's just the way things have been for as long as i know. I've never been asked if i'm a girl or guy tho ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.