Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Do cloths really say who you are?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do cloths really say who you are?
shrty1572
Neophyte
Member # 4121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shrty1572     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Fort Wayne,Indiana (that's where I live) there is alot of kids who wear baggy clothing. My mom always tells me to stay away from them,But does the clothing really tell who they REALLY are?
Posts: 14 | From: Fort Wayne Indiana USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Put it this way: if I put on a lab coat, does that make me a doctor?

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think clothes have much to do with who a person is, although many people do express themselves through what they wear. The fabric you wear says what you like to wear, it doesn't say much else unless there's stuff written on it like "I'm poor." or "I'm a criminal." But I've never seen anyone wearing anything like that.

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 06-15-2001).]

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your mom tells you to stay away from kids in baggy clothing!? Thats soo....grossly unfair and closeminded and stereotypical. I wear baggy clothing. Actually, my favorite pair of pants are raver style that are four sizes too big and HUGE. You can also find me in a bondage skirt, torn fishnets, and a tube top. And some days I'll wear clam diggers from Old Navy. Does it change who I am? Certainly not. And I've never met a teacher, parent, or adult who didn't like me (okay, one teacher, because he judged me on my clothing and accused me of cheating when everyone knew that I was the smartest person in class. I had a 107% for god's sake...Then I made it a point to be a brat to him an that's why he didn't like me, if that even counts). I hope you are a little more open minded than your mom.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

real poetry is all based on this old myth about this beautiful, scary, trippy goddess who the poet wants to possess but he always loses her to this shadowy other guy - Girl Goddess #9

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definatly not!!!

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's grossly unfair to tell someone to stay away from people in baggy clothes. I think clothes do express who you are to some extent. From my experiences it can go either way- I LOVE to express who I am through the way I dress, but I also have friends who just buy anything that's on sale and don't really care what it looks like. Some of them buy baggy clothes, does that mean that they are all hoodlems? Definately not. I have friends who wear black alot, does that mean that they are all gothic? Some of them are, but some of them just like the color.

I dress punk (and I mean ACTUAL punk, not the little media enhanced clothes that say "punk" on the front) because I AM punk. I also dress in dresses sometimes and in earthy, low maintenance clothing other times, and all of those things reflect who I am. I am punk, but I am also an artist, and golf player in the fall (so all of my clothing reflects who I am- I have a varied personality). On the other hand, there are some people I know who's clothing doesn't reflect their personality. I've also noticed that certain styles of clothing give off different signals to different people. In baggy clothing some people may assume that the person is a hoodlem, other people may think he is a punk. So, different clothing styles can represent many different personalities.

------------------
*^Lucky^*

"I could rip your eyelid off..."

"No, Don't do it! I need it to seal my plan.."

"Why?"

"Because it's so devious I need to wink."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sexyhotchik01
Neophyte
Member # 4173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sexyhotchik01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nopers!!!!! I dress in baggy clothes and i dress in tube tops strapless shirts belly shirts... but i'm still a good gurl and most of my friends dress like me and i dress like them and we are all good except when we are bad.lol.g2g
luv and smiles
Jessica

Posts: 14 | From: norton,Ohio,USA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grannylamp7
Neophyte
Member # 3284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grannylamp7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think clothes always say who people are, but a lot of times they say who a person would LIKE to be. Of course this is definitly not always the case.Also, although you can't tell what kind of person someone is just by looking at the way they dress, sometimes clothes have a lot of personality and individual style in them. I know I personally like to dress in a way that reflects who I am. I don't know about other people though...it's so hard to tell nowadays with everyone wearing clothes to just fit in or look like a certain person, that people many times don't consider dressing as who they are inside anymore.
Posts: 25 | From: Spain | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.