Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Gender Issues » Legal ages and gender: Are you being served?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Legal ages and gender: Are you being served?
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 8 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently I have had the experience of going out with my friend and her older boyfriend, and my boyfriend, all of whom are 18+. I am still 17, though, and as a result, cannot legally get into most clubs at night without my parents.

However, I have had no problem whatsoever with getting in at numerous nightspots. I have never been carded, and while it is true that I am an attractive girl, I do look very young. But my boyfriend, who is 20, gets carded everywhere.

The attitude seems to be that if you're a girl, the club needs more girls and so they'll let you in without a fight, especially if you're dressed well and/or are good-looking. But if you're a guy and you look a little young, maybe, or have sorter shifty eyes or something, you're carded, immediately.

Do any of you notice that? Does it make you feel strange?

------------------
"Two little girls, growing out of their training bras/This little girl breaks furniture, this little girl breaks laws/Two girls together, each a little less alone..." ~Ani DiFranco, "Two Little Girls"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildChica
Activist
Member # 459

Icon 4 posted      Profile for WildChica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree with this. I'm 18, but don't look it at all. I've never been carded going to clubs...Even the 21+ ones! I think it helps that I've been going with people who ARE old enough to get in. (And don't worry, I haven't been drinking at these places, even though I know I can get them into some *major* trouble for that) Attractive, well-dressed women always seem to get to do more...And I think that's unfair.

------------------
"Her laugh turned to a moan at the first ripple in her bones.
She tensed her thighs and abdomen to will the change on, and
clutched the night air like a lover as her fingers lengthened
and her nails sprouted...The night, she thought, the sweet night"

Posts: 87 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started working in a bar at 17 (about a month after my birthday), and noone ever questioned me about my legality.
Then, about a month before my 18th birthday, the drinking age here was lowered to 18, and I got carded once, but got off..
Now that I am legally allowed to drink, I get carded everywhere I go (except at the bar where I work)..
Fortunately, all of my friends are 20/21/22 ish, so I haven't had any problems for a while..

entropie

------------------
***DISCLAIMER*** All advice received from me should be used at YOUR OWN RISK. I am in no way responsible for the advice that I give. I only give my opinions to the situation. It is up to you to do what you feel is the right thing.

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in my 30's. I haven't been carded since I was 16. My life partner, who is the same age as I am, gets carded all the time... he even gets carded when we're both in line together at the liquor store buying a six-pack of hard cider *together*. Go figure.

On the other hand, I recently bribed a bartender $5 to card my mother on her 60th birthday. She was thrilled.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Associate Editor, Scarleteen

"Be Excellent To Each Other" -- Bill and Ted

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get carded ALL the time, and I'm 30.

Strangely, I didn't start getting carded all the time until AFTER I was over 21.

Some of that may because of what Wild was saying: I don't wear business suits. I have crazy hair. I have blue eyes and freckles, and I'm short and small.

Honestly, at this point, I take it as a compliment.

Posts: 68189 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was younger I used to take being carded as an insult. I was quite sensitve about such things. I occasionally get carded now and don't mind it all.

A funny thing happened a few months ago that made my sis and me laugh. She is younger than me, but is always assumed to be the older one. We took the train from Toronto to Montreal. The conductor asked her if she was a student becuase she could have a gotten a better rate if she was one. He just passed by me without comment. We guessed that I don't look young enough to be a student, but she does. So, for the first time ever someone though she was younger than me. She still brags about it and, of course, I let her.

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VeNT
Activist
Member # 852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VeNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by starpoet:
IOne reason might be a fact of life: at 16 or 17 a girl is normally more mature than a guy, both physically and emotionally and is a lot less likely to cause trouble at a club than an underage boy (for any number of cultural and hormonal reasons).

but still it is against the law <in England at least> to serve an adult alkohol if they are under 18 <or 16 if eating aparently> and you can only get into clubs if you are over 18, unless they are doing some under 18s' night type thingy, so dose it realy matter if they are more mature or less likely to cause "trouble" as you put it, when you get down to it it is still a crime and also frawd on your part for deciving the club owner
this aside I have been able to get into clubs since I was 16 and being a young boy it was fantastic
but now i am 18 I get carded nerly every time I go to a club
this, to me atleast, seems a bit odd!
oh well, life gose on!
~VeNT
x x x

Posts: 101 | From: truro cornwall england | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:
I get carded ALL the time, and I'm 30.

Strangely, I didn't start getting carded all the time until AFTER I was over 21.

That might be because recently they have been getting a lot stricter about enforcement of drinking and smoking age. 3 years ago when I was 13 I could buy cigarettes or alcohol with no problem. Now I'm 16 and I get carded all the time. This is in New York City, I'm not sure if they are doing this everywhere.

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Add to this that here in Saint paul and Minneapolis, a passport (which is what I have always used for ID, because it is international) is now no longer an aacceptable form of identification. So, restaurants which serve alchohol now card at the door, and I can't get into a good many of them, since they will only accept state ID.

I've gone into a myriad or tirades about how I'm 30, for crying out loud, and a citizen of the U.S. not Minnesota, which is a state, not a bleedin' country of it's own, but it doesn't seem to matter much.

Posts: 68189 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
woohoo!

first of all, I'm now 18...

second of all, Miz Scarlet, I agree...I always use my passport as my ID, and I've been questioned heavily about it...now I don't know what I'm going to do because I just moved (today!) and I got an ID from my home state...we'll see...

------------------
"There's only now, there's only this/Forget regret or life is yours to miss/No other road, no other way/No day but today..."~"Mimi" in "Another Day," from RENT, by Jonathan Larson

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The silliest thing that happened to me was that I wasn't allowed to go into a pub because my license (well, learners permit actually, but it's still legally valid photo ID) had expired. Like I could go back to being under 18 (Note that 18 is the legal age for drinking in Australia).

I think though, that in such cases it's the buisness policy that you have to blame rather than the bouncer. The bouncer is just an employee who risks getting fired if they don't adhere to the guidelines, no matter how stupid those guidelines are. I must say, however, that those are pretty stupid guidelines- what are international tourists supposed to do? Or maybe they accept overseas passports- people are loony.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the longest time I didn't have any proper government-issued ID. I don't drive, so I don't have a license, and passports aren't easy to get. So for a few years I was using my government-issued Health Card as photo ID, and now liquor stores won't take it anymore. It doesn't matter much anyways... since I hardly ever drank in the past, and now that I'm pregnant... I can't drink at all.

------------------
where is fancy bred? In the heart, or in the head?

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading this topic has my blood boiling because as a Canadian when I visit the USA I obviously don't have any state regulated cards. To get into a bar my husband and I basically have throw a fit, call the manager. etc...Not fun at all. Geez, he is 32 and I'm 29.
Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.