Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Low blood pressure

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Low blood pressure
pixeldot
Activist
Member # 16061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pixeldot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I have really low blood pressure, 92/70 according to my last checkup. I know that its better to be lower than higher, and I'm not fainting or lightheaded, but its still worrying me. I work out modestly, usually 5 days a week for 30 minutes a day. I eat ok-ish, and I know high blood pressure runs in my family, so its not hereditary.

So question 1: Where does this low blood pressure come from? At the beginning of the year I had a blood pressure of 110/80.

question 2: Does blood pressure relate to cholesterol at all? I know 1 year ago i had a blood test done and they said my cholesterol was just a smidge high. Does this indicate that its gone down a bit?

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMazy
Activist
Member # 36719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaisyMazy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing about blood pressure is that it can vary. For example when I had to get a pelvic, before the exam mine was 160/90, then after the exam it was 118/something. Lots of factors affect your blood pressure, if the doctor didn't mention anything about it, I wouldn't worry. I can come back and explain blood pressure more later if someone doesn't beat me to it. --I'm just taking a break from studying for my chem final.

[ 05-13-2008, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: Morgiana ]

Posts: 74 | From: Austin, Tx | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some people just naturally have a lower blood pressure, and that's not a big deal. However, if this is a new thing for you, or if you feel it's affecting you negatively, then it might be a good idea to have it checked out by a doctor.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have extremely low blood pressure- I'm super suprised when I see a number in the 90s... Usually it runs about 80/40- but I have orthostatic hypertension- so when I stand up quickly or for a long period of time and the blood isn't relaly actively circulating, My blood pressure just drops...
One way, especially if you are dizzy with low blood pressure, to boost it is to eat something salty. Not saying you should down potato chips all day, but it helps raise your blood pressure.

If it's a new thing though, you should get it checked out. Generally they don't really do much for young people with low blood pressure though. BUt sometimes they do.

Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.