Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Drinking

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Drinking
ScarcelyHeard
Activist
Member # 29242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarcelyHeard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if you guys will be able to help me out on this, but I figured I would ask here... I like this forum and maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I know what can happen to you when you abuse alcohol, but how does getting "buzzed"/"tipsy" affect your health? Is hard liquor harder on you than beer for instance? It burns when you consume it! That can't be good! Also, how do you know if you are drunk?

I've been of legal age for three monthes now. I know my limit and I've managed to stay out of trouble. I go out about once a week with friends... that's about it. I'm not in any sort of trouble... I'm just curious!

Posts: 80 | From: Canada's East Coast | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The difference between hard liquor and something like beer or wine is the proof. The higher the proof, the higher the percentage of alcohol in the beverage, and the less of it it'll take you get your intoxicated. So if you took 12 ounces of beer and 12 ounces of liquor, the liquor is going to be much, much harder on your system than the beer because beer has a lower proof.

Alcohol isn't dangerous when consumed in responsible amounts and not terribly frequently. Having a drink with friends on the weekend or at dinner is not going to harm you. It's when you start throwing back large amounts of alcohol that it becomes dangerous.

That "buzz" you get from alcohol is really your body's way of saying you've had enough. Once you get past that feeling, you're looking at impairing some really important bodily functions. Getting buzzed once in a while isn't going to kill you, but doing it all the time isn't healthy or responsible.

As far as knowing when your drunk, if you find yourself slurring your speech, finding it hard to stand upright or balance, becoming very loud, etc, you've probably gone too far.

[ 04-06-2008, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: JamsessionVT ]

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScarcelyHeard
Activist
Member # 29242

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarcelyHeard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for telling me exactly what I wanted to know [Smile]
Posts: 80 | From: Canada's East Coast | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.