Donate Now

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Out of control sweating

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Out of control sweating
Pikn
Neophyte
Member # 37268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pikn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'll start with a brief explanation of who I am. My name is Eric, I'm 25 and have dealt with this issue for my whole life. I remember when I played soccer when I was 7-14, I would always end the game *completely* soaked in sweat, as if I'd walked out of a pool.

I sweat from head to toe, at all times of the day, no matter what activity I am doing (including sitting) as long as the temperature is above 20 degrees celcius (about 70 degrees Fahrenheit). This became a bigger issue when I hit puberty, because the sweating started to result in zits... hundreds of zits. I've dealt with these zits since I was fourteen, and they've plagued my life, mentally and socially.

I guess I don't need to go through what this has done to me, but to give you a small window, I'm 25 and have never been in a relationship with a girl. Ever.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows of other people with similar situations, or any kind of a solution to it. I went to a dermatologist a few months ago and she told me, nearly instantly, that there wasn't anything I could do about it, and I would deal with it for the rest of my life. We spoke for less than three minutes... I will be speaking to another dermatologist, as she left me with no confidence in her.

Anyway, thanks in advance,
Eric

Posts: 1 | From: Canadia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sweating is a normal reaction to many stimuli - including stress, heat, physical activity, etc. Some people in general just sweat more than others. Because you say that it happens quite often when you're not being physically active and any degree equaling or above 70 degrees, I'm curious as to why the dermatologist wouldn't at least check you out more, rather than just talking to you for a few minutes and sending you on your way.

I would suggest seeking a second opinion just to be sure about the diagnosis of the first. You may want to ask them about hyperhidrosis (it's a condition that causes excess sweating that usually arises in children or during puberty. The sweating can be either localized or generalized areas.) If this is the case there are some treatment options they can discuss with you - and if this isn't the case they would be able to know better whether or not it's a typical reaction for your body after an examination.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3428 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
splishysplash
Activist
Member # 32875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for splishysplash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi - there are a variety of over the counter deodorants/antiperspirants that you can get at any local drugstore. the one i've found that works the best is "certain-dri"...you put it on every night before bed, and during the day you use a normal deodorant. good luck [Smile]
Posts: 55 | From: miami | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1stPrelude
Neophyte
Member # 39304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1stPrelude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah certain-dri works really well. I started sweating under my arms all the time when I hit purberty so I used that. helped right away.

--------------------
hab dich ganz doll lieb

Posts: 13 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.