Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Good moisturizers?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Good moisturizers?
onewish01
Neophyte
Member # 29500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onewish01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,

Right now I'm using a Neutrogena moisturizer, but I find my skin still gets really dry whenever I put my make-up on. It gets worse in the winter, but it still acts up in the summer too.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any good experiences with moisturizers. I do have combination skin (oily/dry), so a moisturizer specifically for that would be nice! Also, would my face wash be something to change? I'm using a Clearisil Oil-Free one right now.

Thanks!

--------------------
-- Katie --

Posts: 24 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometime the harsher a cleanser you use, the more it can throw your skin out of whack: your glands try and make up for the dryness by producing more oils, which creates a vicious cycle.

So, the mildest cleanser you can use is usually the best bet, especially when you know some of your skin is dry. If you shop for cleansers at your pharmacy, Cetaphil, for example, is a very good, inexpesive, mild and effective cleanser. And using something like that will likely help with your dryness. You may find that with that swap, you don't need to change your moisturizer.

(Personally, I spend a little more on moisturizer than I do other things, and I'm a slave to Clinique and Lush -- though my cheap one I keep on hand is a Eucerin, which is also awesome, basic, easy-to-find and very kind, as well as continaing a sunscreen, which is key for everyone. However, I've got a good 20 years on you, so it's a different scenario for me, as my skin is in a different place due to my age. When you're young, you really shouldn't need anything intensive or complicated if you don't have a specific skin problem or issue.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilddove
Activist
Member # 17112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilddove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have really sensitive dry skin and so I use Body Shop Vitamin E night nourishing moisturiser I use it as a day and night one as I am allergic to the day one. It is light but nice creamy texture so not oily etc.

Vit E great for skin so if u dont have Body Shop stores where you are try finf one containing it.

Clearasil is kinda harsh, you may be better with a teatree oil such as 'TZONE' face wash gel. you wet face put a little gel on and massage on so goes foamy then rinse off and pat face dry gentle.

I also use johnsons 3 in 1 sensitive facial wipes to remove makeup.

Also remember to drink at least 2.5 litres of water a day to keep hydrated and this helps skin along with 5servings fruit and veg

take care

Posts: 112 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pandax06
Neophyte
Member # 31909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pandax06     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you should try cetaphil moisturizer. its great! i use it and it works really good!!

--------------------
<3 Manda

Posts: 8 | From: florida | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to second Heather's suggestion of Eucerin. I have extremely dry skin, but Eucerin tends to work for almost all skin types, and they are many different kinds to choose from specific to your skin.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucysDiamonds
Activist
Member # 30315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LucysDiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I third Eucerin! I've been using it for years, and it works really well - my arms used to be covered in dry, flaky red bumpy skin (ew, right?) and my mom and I finally asked my pediatrician (I was young at the time!) what was wrong with me, and she said that I probably just had dry skin so I should try Eucerin. I've used it ever since, and boy has it made a difference!

--------------------
So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky
As someone told me lately
Everyone deserves the chance to fly

Posts: 365 | From: DC | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried the Body Shop's Body Butter? I have combination skin as well (part of my face is dry and flakey and the other part is all oily and shiny ... drives me nuts!) and i find it's the only one that doesn't make the oilyness worse.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AngelC27713
Neophyte
Member # 32722

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AngelC27713     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aveeno is a real good brand..and cetaphil(my favorite) and of course you regular palmers cocoa butter or shea butter..They work wonders

--------------------
!!-->MizZLoFteN<--!!

Posts: 33 | From: Durham, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I swear by my Oil of Olay 30spf for sensitive skin. I looooove that stuff. Best of all? Regular applications lessens my acne (when I actually get it). It's great, great stuff. [Smile]

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surferchk07
Activist
Member # 32276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surferchk07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually started using a Nadinola Cocoa butter on my skin and my face, I put it on about every 3 days and it keeps my cleanser from drying out my face and always keeps my legs super soft :-P

Once I used this I cant go back...With regular lotion im putting it on every day and it still isnt doing anything with this stuff maybe every 3 days even longer sometimes.

--------------------
Elizabeth

"Peace is not the absence of war; it is a virtue; a state of mind; a disposition for benevolence; confidence; and justice." -Spinoza

Posts: 154 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onewish01
Neophyte
Member # 29500

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onewish01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for all the suggestions guys!

I've been using my mom's Dove moisturizer and it actually worked fairly well (better than any other moisturizer I've used). Hopefully it keeps up, otherwise I may be making a trip to the drug store soon!

--------------------
-- Katie --

Posts: 24 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just discovered the best moisturizer ever: extra virgin olive oil. I was extremely skeptical first, but I found that applying the oil actually curbed my own skin's oil production, absorbed very well, and left a dewy, non-greasy finish.

My acne has already improved vastly, and my skin tone is the evenest it's been ever in only two days!

I guess it makes sense.. olive oil is full of fatty acids and vitamins, and it's no wonder oil is beautifying since we regularly wash off the stuff nature intended. I tried it in my hair, too; luxurious!

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onewish01
Neophyte
Member # 29500

Hmm... I might just give that a try, lol. I have acne too and I'd like to get rid of it!

--------------------
-- Katie --

poppybluefrogs
Activist
Member # 22137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppybluefrogs         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Vaseline Intensive Care: Dermacare which comes in a blue and white bottle. Its got lipids in it and to me feels more water based than some of the other vaseline ones i've used which felt oily. I find that if i use it in the morning and night it also really helps my eczema patches on my elbows and upper arms as well as keeping my facial skin under check.
Posts: 228 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also like to encourage you to check www.makeupalley.com/product for product reviews before you buy anything. You can look up reviews for almost any bodycare, skincare, or makeup and get an accurate picture of cost, quality, and any other issues that you might not know until you buy something (like, oh, this moisturizer is only $3! whoa omg it burns when I apply it! it'll save you some $$$ then).

[ 03-11-2007, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: faifai ]

--------------------
disconnect and let me drift/until my upside down is right side *in*

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.