Donate Now

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » weight --- to skinny?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: weight --- to skinny?
FadingStar
Neophyte
Member # 28427

Icon 5 posted      Profile for FadingStar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never really thought much of my weight until some time last year. My friend brought up the topic that she was going to work out because she was 'over weight'. I thought she was perfectly fine, and asked how much she weighed. She told me to guess and I said 'Around 110?' (we had previously discussed this a year or two ago and she was the same as me, so I thought she would still be). She seemed diguisted and said 'No! That's like, an anorexics' weight!' This is when I started thinking about this because I'm below that bar.

Since then it's been in the back of my mind, and it wasn't until just a couple of days ago that I started to seriously think of it again.

I was hanging out with a different group of friends and the topic of weight came up again. I didn't tell them how much I weighed, but I told them that I thought I was to skinny and they all replied with 'No! You're perfect!' Then one of my friends said that a girl in our class who is about 5'7-'8 weighed only 110pbs and said 'Come on! Gain some weight! That's way too skinny!' with, yet again, a disguisted voice and look on her face. When I hear comments like this, it makes me feel very bad about my weight.

Here's my stats:
I'm 16, am a bit above 5'6 and weigh 104.5lbs

As I said before, I'm pleased with how much I weigh. I certainly don't want to weigh any less, but would rather gain a couple pounds. True, I would like to gain the weight for myself (I'd like to weigh 108) but it's mostly so that others don't think I'm to skinny or have an eating disorder.
The most I've ever weighed was 106.5-107.
I'm not anorexic or bulimic, I don't have an eating disorder. I don't have a problem eating food, eating infront of others or eating by myself. I'm not worried about how many calories my lunch is or any other meal is. I just don't gain weight.

My mom says that I'm at good weight, that I don't look to skinny, but whenever I hear other girls talk about how much they weigh and say that 'so and so' is to skinny or anorexic it puts me down. All my friends say that I look good, that I'm not too skinny, that they'd love to look like me but when I hear them say things like that it really makes me think 'If you knew what I weighed, would you still want to be like me? Would you still say I look good? That I'm not anorexic?'

My mom knows how much I weigh and said that she was just the same as I was when she was my age.
She's in her forties and is 5'9 and was amazed to hear that she weighed 145 lbs. (She weighed less than 125 and wanted to be around 135, so was very happy to find out she exceeded her goal.)

So, what I'm wanting to know is, Do you think I've got a problem here? Is it something I should be concerned about or is this just the way I am?
I know you'll probably say that if I like the weight that I'm at, then that's all that matters, and I do 'like' what I'm at. As I said before, I'd love to gain the weight, it's just not that easy for me to gain it and keep it.
I'm just wondering if my weight is very unhealthy? Or am I just letting what others think go to my head?

Oh, and I've done the Body Mass Index and gotten a result of 16.9, below weight (Which honestly wasn't a surprise). I'm not sure if it's actually valid seeing that I'm not an 'adult' and it was created for those.

Also, does anyone have any tips for how to gaining weight and *keep* it?
Sorry for the very long post, didn't mean for it to be [Razz]

--------------------
And you shed not a single tear for the things that you didn’t need because you knew you were finally free.

Posts: 28 | From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best bet if in doubt?

Just ask your general doctor at your next physical.

But if you have a small to medium frame,don't have disordered eating, aren't dieting, and don't have any symptoms that might be related concerning you -- like dizziness, lots of sweats or chills, etc. -- then there is really no reason to assume your weight isn't healthy. People vary a lot with frame size and metabolism, so also with body weight.

Being anorexic is about starving yourself purposefully: it's not a word which describes a certain body shape or size, but that specific behaviour.

Sounds like it might be time to stop saying so mum and increase some awareness with your peers. How about next time pointing out some of this stuff, and reminding them that "too skinny" isn't about pounds or appearance, it's about health and behaviours?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67994 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lfc4life
Activist
Member # 28478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lfc4life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have the same problem!

I am 8 stone 8 pounds and am 16 years old! It doesnt matter what I eat I still the same weight! Can anyone suggests any foods which have high calories etc

Thanks

Posts: 49 | From: Ireland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your low weight isn't due to a health problem, then there really is no immediate need to make an effort to gain weight. Each body is different and if you're just naturally skinny, then that's what it is. So, besides being unecessary, loading up on high-calorie food isn't healthy at all.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9167 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atticus Girl
Activist
Member # 13561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atticus Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a kinesiology major who is also studying nutrition, I think I can come in and say a few things. [Smile]

I used to be in your shoes, because I too am naturally skinny. Many of my peers in middle school would often call me a "twig" or something along those lines. I didn't let their comments get to me and was even able to laugh about it, because I was comfortable with my own body. I KNEW that I didn't have an eating disorder and knew that nothing was wrong with me, and there's no point in proving that to other people. Caring about what they think and trying to please them wasn't important.

As for the body mass index? It's inaccurate. First off, it's mostly used to determine the level of health risk associated with obesity; which you're very obviously far from. Also, muscular but lean athletes can end up scoring high, which incorrectly rates them as obese. Your best bet is to just get your bodyfat tested (skinfold, bioelectrical impedance, or hydrostatic testing). Even then, you have nothing to worry about.

Good ways to gain weight? Eat healthy, work out by lifting weights to build muscle, and incorporate some cardiovascular activity in your regimen.

Posts: 105 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.