Donate Now

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Favorite "Get fit" activity

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favorite "Get fit" activity
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People frequently post here about how to get into a healthier lifestyle. There are plenty of threads about favorite foods, favorite healthy snacks, etc.

And while eating right is a big way to get started, physical activity is also a big one. We're not talking about losing weight, but simply to enjoy better overall health. So, what kinds of things do you enjoy doing that get you fit (intentionally or otherwise)? It could be hardcore cardio and running or something gentler, like walking your dog everyday. Every little bit helps.

Mine is stretching for about 15 mins, followed by lower-body exercise to crazy energetic music...or to TV. [Smile] Getting in my Simpsons fix and my exercise fix all in one! What could be better?

[ 03-14-2006, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: faifai ]

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for exercise! I might be a bit biased here, having been dancing for pretty much my whole life, but any kind of dance is great. It doesn't have to be an uber-stuck up ballet class - one of my favourite things is going swing dancing. In warmer weather, I also love inline skating. There's some great parks in my city, a lot of them right along the ocean, and it's a great feeling to be able to be outside and be moving.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5758 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great post, faifai. I do the same thing in the mornings. I stretch and watch the Golden Girls.

I'm in the "hardcore" category - running, biking, lots of weightlifting and upper body work, horseback riding.

But there are lots of changes one can make on a daily basis to increase the amount one exercises. The average woman takes about 6500 steps a day... it should be closer to 10000 to maintain good blood pressure and an adequate, bare bones level of cardiovascular fitness.

Some ideas: taking the stairs instead of the elevator, parking your car farther away from school/work than usual so that you walk instead.
A lot of college campuses have low-cost or free
exercise/swim classes.

Blasting "Jump" (the Pointer sisters) and bouncing around your bedroom is also a good way to go, as faifai suggested.

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kitka:
Blasting "Jump" (the Pointer sisters) and bouncing around your bedroom is also a good way to go, as faifai suggested.

And hey, what could be better than pretending to be Hugh Grant in "Love Actually"? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5758 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
origami_jane
Activist
Member # 27369

Icon 10 posted      Profile for origami_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I happen to like DDR (Dance Dance Revolution)--I can put it in "workout mode" and just go like that for a good 45-60 minutes. I forget it's exercise.

In the summer, I swim laps and play "pool basketball" and a simpler version of water polo with my little brother.

However, nothing beats choreographing dances to 90's pop music and Eastern European boy bands. (Destiny's Child and O-zone all the way!) From that alone, I dance maybe 6-8 hours a week.

Posts: 129 | From: Mid-Atlantic US | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I <3 skiing. I was talking about the muscles in my legs in another thread and skiing put them there. While I'm usually pretty lackadaisical about exercise I ski for hours at a time several days a week every winter.

In the summer I like to kayak or take the occasional walk but I need to do more. I'm planning to buy a bike with my tax return so hopefully that will motivate me.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ax50607
Activist
Member # 27650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ax50607     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run long distances. I started running competitively in high school, but now that I'm in college and our team is way too good for me, I just run every day for fun. It clears my head and gives me self-confidence.
Posts: 69 | From: NC, US | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love swimming! It's great because I don't feel sweaty and gross afterwards, since all the sweat goes into the water. Plus, it really helped my ankle heal after I sprained it. (Fell in a hole while I was taking my cousins to the park... I felt pretty stupid)

I also try to use my own body to get me around as much as possible, so I walk and bike a lot of places.

Posts: 286 | From: Ames, IA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I lovelovelove boxing and kickboxing, both training and teaching, but I gotta say...

... it's even nicer riding my bike. And best of all on the days when I'm not using it to get somewhere (it's my transportation), but rather when I can take even just a half hour to go get lost, find a great trail, enjoy the weather and the light, go fast and go slow, and land at the end in a sweaty pile on the grass and a have a much-needed glug of cold water. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68189 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Horseback riding is actually a wonderful way to better overall body control. Believe you me, there are so many people out there who think horseback riding isn't a sport, or takes no physical skill. But while you may no notice a difference immediately, doing light riding can strengthen your legs, back, shoulders and stomach, as well as improve you balance and coordination.

Not to mention you get the companionship. That's always a plus [Smile]

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blueveggie
Activist
Member # 26508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueveggie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No kidding Jamsession- I ride and compete and so ride at least one horse every day- would ride two every day (instead of every other) if I had time, but school.. yeah.

My response to people who say I can't possibly be getting enough excersize? You can't get this fit (point to arms, legs, back/stomach if i'm wearing a tank top or bathing suit or something) without WORKING for it.

Seems to work well [Smile]

[ 03-16-2006, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: blueveggie ]

Posts: 86 | From: southern CA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sportchick
Activist
Member # 27063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sportchick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During the school year I play 3 sports, but during breaks and the summer I'm pretty much up to my own devices. I love running...but my problem is that its hard for me to get motivated to do so. I do have a tredmill, but its in the basement (not much fun) and the roads around where I live are totally steep ( i know, not a good enough excuse) how do you guys get motivated to keep up with your workouts?

--------------------
"I only ask because I care"

Posts: 72 | From: N.E | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 14 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make it something you look forward to doing, instead of just another mundane part of your routine for every day/week/etc. Less of a "I have to go work out now" attitude, more of a "let me go dance around absurdly in my room now" feeling. Make it fun!

Music helps--if you have an iPod, cd player or a tape player (for us old skool folks [Smile] ) you can take that with you. Listen to stuff you like and enjoy.

Also, companionship helps too if you like. Even light physical activity is good. Leave the $$$ at home and go walk around and around in the mall with a friend (pretty nice if it's too hot to go outside during the day in the summer for exercise), have a race down your street, play tag in the backyard. Anything you like, doesn't have to be particularly strenuous or anything. Just get moving.

As long as you do stuff you like, you'll have no reason to put off going out and doing something.

[ 03-17-2006, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: faifai ]

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got some DVDs of a TV show for Christmas, and I made a deal that I'd only watch them while on the treadmill. So if I'm dying to know "what happens next" or to see the next scene, I've gotta get back on the treadmill! Or, I'll get on the treadmill when a show I want to see on TV is on.

Keeping track of my exercise also is a motivator for me, because I can see how much progress I'm making. I have a little spreadsheet that totes up how many miles I've walked this month.

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oOo Lea oOo
Activist
Member # 26647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oOo Lea oOo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome topic! I agree with Jamsession! I ride horses every now and again, my boyfriend has tons!

I work in an office somewhere in BFE so if I get bored, which I do occassionally (actually quite often) instead of driving to the store to get a quick sandwich or something for lunch, or driving to check the mail at the mailhouse down the street, I will walk. Takes me a good half an hour to do either. (to and from combined).

I also have a punk skater boyfriend, so I have recently learned to skateboard. Gotta say, I love it. It takes a lot out of me. I am trying to catch up to him, but it's not happening. The better I get, the better he gets. So needless to say, I am not even close. Let me tell ya, I SUCK.

I also love to ride my bike. I live in the sticks so I take nature walks up trails in the mountains. I also love to go to Dolly Sods, WV. We camp there every other weekend in the summer. Rock climbing, hiking, cross country back packing, rock repelling, you name it. . we do it.

I love snowboarding. I just started last year and I have gotten pretty decent at that. It's also a work out.

Swimming is also among my favorite exercises.

I walk to my boyfriends house on pretty days.

Doing chores at home can be a work out too. Blast the music, do some hard core scrubbing (the walls, the tub, the floors, etc.)

And if all of that isnt enough, I help my grandmother babysit most of her 21 grandchildren. I have 17 cousins who are under the age of 12. (1/2 are 1 - 7.) Its especially a work out when you got 3 two year olds (all boys) running all over the house.

--------------------
And I say thank you for the scars
And the guilt and the pain
Every tear I've never cried
Has sealed your fate.
Did you take me for a fool
or were you just too blind to see
that every effort made has failed
and there is no destroying me?
Atreyu

Posts: 366 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wierdguy2022
Neophyte
Member # 27930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wierdguy2022     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the thing i do to keep in shape is when i wake up i lift some weights for 30 min, and i workout on our ab lounge in the morning and night and also run track for my school and i also did cross country and i run 30 min in the morning also and im lokving my body!!
Posts: 20 | From: Winnemucca | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only been horseback riding once (years and years ago), but boy was i sore the next day. I imagine it is quite the work out!

I have to admit, i'm lazy. I am so super lazy, there really is not even words to describe. If i had to choose an activity though, i would say my favourite would be swimming. I like it because it's relaxing AND exercise at the same time. That, and i hate to sweat, and you really don't notice too much sweat when you're submerged in water. (AND i am moving next month and it looks like our new apartment is going to have a pool. Indoors even! Yaaaaaay!)

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paradoxical Enigma
Neophyte
Member # 27994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paradoxical Enigma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, go figure, but that's almost exactly how I am. I'm just pretty lazy and don't like to sweat (nor do I like the tiredness and soreness that often comes with it). For that reason, I don't do a whole lot of physical activity. Still, what I DO like to do are swim and ride my bike, but I sadly have little or no oppertunity to do them when it is not summer. I sort of like racket sports, too, but I almost never have the opertunity to play them aside from gym class.
Posts: 35 | From: In front of the computer; go figure | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vocabulary
Neophyte
Member # 28109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vocabulary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I gallop horses-gives you great muscle in your arms and legs.
White water rafting but I don't get to do it much.
I take my dogs for runs(usually consists of them chasing me in field).

Posts: 2 | From: OH | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.