Donate Now

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » proactive?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: proactive?
Twix1618957
Neophyte
Member # 21592

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Twix1618957     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone tried proactive?....Does it work?
Posts: 8 | From: chandler,AZ | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The site MakeupAlley has a lot of consumer reviews of beauty products--Proactiv included.

[This message has been edited by faifai (edited 01-17-2005).]

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twix1618957
Neophyte
Member # 21592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Twix1618957     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanx

Posts: 8 | From: chandler,AZ | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbarosa
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbarosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I looked at the Proactive web site to check the ingredients. It turns out that Proactive might just work for acne (some types better than others) for one simple reason. The only active ingredient listed on any of the parts of the “system” is benzoyl peroxide 2.5%.

When used consistently, benzoyl peroxide at this concentration is effective and not likely to lead to irritation of the skin. Benzoyl peroxide also happens to be available without prescription for far less than this heavily celebrity endorsed cosmetic.

None of the other ingredients, with perhaps one exception are likely to do much for acne. If the cost and fancy package helps a person be motivated to use the product it may work better than a far cheaper generic over-the-counter version.

If they are telling the truth in the ads (and I suspect they would for obvious reasons) they would say that it can take up to 3 months to see the full benefit from any acne treatment program, which of course sells way more of their very expensive product. They probably will also say how important it is to use this consistently, all this info given to you in a very colorful printed packet along with step by step directions.

A little work at the library and a few bucks worth of OTC benzoyl peroxide probably is as likely to work under the same conditions for a whole lot less money, but then of course you don’t get the pretty bottles and fancy packaging.

By the way, never trust any product that uses testamonials to sell it. Especially ones you know got paid to say how great it is...

Posts: 380 | From: Up North, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitten22
Neophyte
Member # 21621

Icon 14 posted      Profile for kitten22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey i have tried proactive and it really works.i had really bad acne and in less than a year it was gone so if youre having a lot of problems wit hacne i really recommend proactive because for me it has changed my life completly.so go try it!!!
Posts: 3 | From: el centro,ca,usa | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djynnjah
Activist
Member # 20056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djynnjah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use it and it works pretty well. The pricing doesn't work out too badly IMO since the kit is a full skin care system. You might end up spending the same amount if you bought such products separately over the counter. They go on very light and smooth and most importantly for me, they don't irritate my skin at all. I have a very sensitive skin condition and even some higher end OTC products like Neutrogena overdry me to the point of stinging and cracking. Depends on your skin perhaps.

Forgot to mention that I'm referring to their 'skin care club' prices, which are about half the regular rates.

[This message has been edited by Djynnjah (edited 01-19-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Djynnjah (edited 01-20-2005).]

Posts: 65 | From: Caribbean | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
curious_girl459
Neophyte
Member # 16778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curious_girl459     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey i use it and i could tell a diffrece in 2 weeks
Posts: 27 | From: faribault,minnesota,usa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
datura
Neophyte
Member # 21695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for datura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried Proactiv for a little over a month and I found that it made my skin smoother but it also burned my skin. Once I stopped using it and switched to less harsh product my skin condition improved. Everyone talks about Proactiv like it is some miracle product and perhaps it is for some people...but not for all. That is why it is good that you can return it if you end up burnt like me
Posts: 18 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chick1
Activist
Member # 21149

Icon 10 posted      Profile for chick1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey
my friend has started using proactive.. back in dec/ the begining of jan. and it really does work... the only thing is that before it makes your acne better, it makes it worse first, and then it clears up... her skin looks great now, but results may differ from person to person.

[This message has been edited by chick1 (edited 02-13-2005).]

[This message has been edited by chick1 (edited 02-13-2005).]

Posts: 133 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 2 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got the product last week. I've just started using it Monday, and so far, i've seen some improvements on my face. I don't have bad acne compared to when I was a younger teen at 15. So it's been almost a week, and it's working well.

I want to ask though... Does the stuff have any interferences with Depo-Provera? I'm on Depo (and have been for 2 years). To be more specific, would ProActiv decrease the effectiveness with Depo-Provera is what I am asking. Thanks in advance!

------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.