Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » belly button peircing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: belly button peircing?
TiffanyLynn
Activist
Member # 20801

Icon 6 posted      Profile for TiffanyLynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When someone gets their belly button periced does it hurt? and how long does it take for the swelling and redness to go away (to where it looks hot)??
Posts: 67 | From: Louisiana! | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Electric_Amish
Activist
Member # 14443

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Electric_Amish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like so many other things in life, it allll depends on the person. ...and the piercer, and the type of ring they put in, etc...but many people say it doesn't hurt a lot. For me, it wasn't much different than having my ears pierced, or getting a shot. As for the swelling, redness, and "looking hot," mine didn't really swell...like I said, depends on the person. And please make sure you go to a reputable piercer, check to make sure they have their licences displayed, maybe even try to find someone you know that's been pierced there. Good luck!
Posts: 60 | From: Clemson, SC, USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here are a few threads about belly button piercings, as well as information about body piercings in general. there are several other threads floating around, so if you need more information, a quick search should point you in the right direction.

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000569.html
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000569.html
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/000966.html

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/001665.html

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TiffanyLynn
Activist
Member # 20801

Icon 7 posted      Profile for TiffanyLynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks!!
Much appreciated

Posts: 67 | From: Louisiana! | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aquaticflash
Neophyte
Member # 21475

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aquaticflash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have my bellybutton pierced. It hurt, but it wasn't unbearable or the kind of pain that makes you cry or anything like that. After the piercing was complete, I actually asked "Is that it?" The length of the swelling and redness is dramatically different for everyone. My friend's piercing bothered her for months, and my discomfort didn't last long at all. If you are considering having it done, go for it. Just get it done professionally (NOT WITH A GUN!), make sure it is a reputable place, and don't be afraid to ask them questions. Good luck!
Posts: 4 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lippy
Neophyte
Member # 21911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am also planning on getting my belly button peirced soon. Is there a time limit before you can go into the water (ocean) after you have it done???
Posts: 1 | From: chicago, il, u.s | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RumpusParable
Activist
Member # 2295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RumpusParable     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes. most piercings it is best to wait at least 6 weeks, sometimes 8 before swimming at all whether in a pool or lake/oceans.

belly buttons tend to be finicky healers, though. they can take months to properly heal and be safe from real risk of infection.

you *might* be lucky to be a quick and easy healup on it, but don't make plans based on it. better to get it done after any trips planned or until after swimming season.

better to plan to avoid any problems that could mess up your health or fun

Posts: 160 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
datura
Neophyte
Member # 21695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for datura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got my belly button pierced when I was 14 (I am now 22). It never healed properly and was constantly red and sore until I got the ring changed to a barbell. When the barbell fell out, I got another ring put in which again never healed. Everyone's body is different and will react differently to the piercing. And, like another poster already said, a belly button piercing can be a finicky healer especially because it will be constantly rubbing against clothing. Be careful! I ended taking mine out 2 years ago because I just didn't want to deal with the irritation anymore.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine was never swolen or red at all... so it really depends on the person. Just make sure you clean it properly the way your piercer tells you.
Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.