Donate Now

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Deodorant Stone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Deodorant Stone
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I'm looking into this deodorant stone. I've decided that since commercially made anti-perspirants don't do a darn thing for me sweatwise, so why not try something natural?
http://www.kombuchapower.com/deodorant_stone.html

It sounds pretty cool, but also a bit scammy. Has anyone ever heard about or used a product like this? I'm curious.

[This message has been edited by DrQuack5 (edited 07-13-2003).]

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have off and on for a good decade or more (the off part would be when I just don't use anything), and they work fine, due to the salts. I'm a big fan of the ones Lush makes (http://www.lushcanada.com).

(That link isn't working, btw)

Mind you, I'm not nuts about a little sweat, or the normal smells of my body, so for someone who wants to smell or seem, umm... more sanitized, I suppose, they might not be what you want.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68187 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never tried, but found that of the more 'natural' deodorants, Tom's of Maine does the best one. Just something to consider if you've got a few to choose from.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, DNFTF, WAOTA

Worst attitude of them all!

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CMTFlovesHAH
Activist
Member # 12774

Icon 6 posted      Profile for CMTFlovesHAH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've seen this deodorant in the store before, it did look kinda weird to me but, what's wrong with normal deodorant? But if it works then go for it. Nothing wrong with trying something different!
Posts: 76 | From: NC, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, chemical anti-perspirants really aren't good for you. They work by blocking your sweat ducts, and some of why we sweat is to get toxins out of our body, and that needs to happen to stay healthy. In addition, the aluminum in them can end up in some cases blocking those ducts. Had a friend once who had to have surgery for that, matter of fact. Not pretty stuff.

As well, not everyone wants to smell all fake-perfumey, or use artificial scents and products. So.

Posts: 68187 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for a good naturalistic deodorant too, because lately my Dove anti-perspirant hurts when I put it on. I'd like to try Tom's of Maine; I think the bulk food stores here sell it. I wouldn't mind a Lush deodorant, but I can't justify dropping 5 bucks on shipping for a 7 dollar item.

I've heard great things about Lush and Tom's.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm not too fond of paying so much shipping for such a small product but I'd figure I'd give it a shot and plus the costly shipping cancels out with the free shipping I just got on a backpack. So that's $55 worth of stuff for $5 shipping! Woohoo!

Also, is there really a difference in the stones by the different companies? It doesn't seem like, but I'm just wondering.

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UKgirl
Activist
Member # 11280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UKgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by wobblyheadedjane:
I wouldn't mind a Lush deodorant, but I can't justify dropping 5 bucks on shipping for a 7 dollar item.

well, if you're in London you don't need to worry about shiping at all! you could always pop into a branch (list of them available at http://www.lush.co.uk/system/index.html ). bit expensive to make a trip specially, but they are in a lot of prime locations, so its not difficult to pop in whilst you're in town for ather reasons. I would say though, to avoid the lush shops if you have a headache, they smell v. strong.

oh, and to fellow brits, great news! I was in my local sainsbury's yesterday and they had natural deoderants. they had Tom's, AND others aswell. a selection, not just one token product!

Posts: 166 | From: London, England | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shopper's Drug Mart in London ON has Tom's stuff, as do most health food stores. The one on Richmond Row with the brightly coloured blinds even had Keepers when I last checked.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, DNFTF, WAOTA

Get your philosophy from a bumper sticker

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UKgirl
Activist
Member # 11280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UKgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Milke:
Shopper's Drug Mart in London ON

whoopsie! too many places with the same name! sorry bout that!

Posts: 166 | From: London, England | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the headsup Milke, I'll be sure to check out both the Tom's and the Keeper (yay!) Also, changed my profile to acknowledge location confusion.
Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

So, I got deodorant stone and have been using it for a week or so. Let it be known that I love it. I have little to no bodily odor, even after a nice sweaty workout or bike ride. My mom is even considering giving it a whirl and I've been recommending it to all my friends.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.