Donate Now

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Belly button infection=healthy new piercing?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Belly button infection=healthy new piercing?
janedoe101
Activist
Member # 11340

Icon 12 posted      Profile for janedoe101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there! I just got my belly button pierced this past Tuesday. The man who did it was very throrough with the whole process, telling me everything he did, including sterilizing the bar i had chose, and the skin he would be piercing. Overall I was very happy with how things went, and didn't feel much pain...it was like a stubbed toe...it was more like shock when he did it than pain. It was fast and simple. The whole process took about 10 minutes. He told me not to use peroxide or alcohol...just some liquid dial soap and some water. I have not been paying particular attention to the piercing, because I don't want it to get infected and such. There has been minimal irritation and no pain. Today I noticed some skin on the top bar, so i took the ball out and put it in some peroxide. The ball foamed, and i washed it off with water and put it back on the bar. After pressing the bar down a little, I noticed some puss coming out of the top, so I got a q-tip and wiped it off. I am wondering if I should start cleaning the piercing with dial soap and such, or is my body just trying to fight off a foreign object, thus the puss. SOOOO my question- is this healthy? what should i do to obtain a healthy new piercing?
Posts: 92 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by janedoe101:
I have not been paying particular attention to the piercing, because I don't want it to get infected and such.

Hello Jane,

thing is, the first few weeks you get a piercing, you HAVE to pay particular attention to it, and clean it regularly and well, as directed by your piercer. It's extremely important.

Using an antibacterial soap twice a day for a good wash (at least 60 seconds) and moving the piercing when washing it are the minimum most piercers recommend.
Others recommend antibacterial solutions that should be applied and wiped with a q-tip.

With a belly button piercing, you should keep pressure away from the piercing, that might come from pants or pantyhose or other items of clothing.

It is normal that a piercing might ooze some clear liquid that forms little crusts on the jewellery. - Soak the piercing and gently remove the crusts.

I found that when my piercing did get irritated, a warm (not hot) saline bath (boil water, add some iodine free sea salt, cool till it's comfortable, put in a small cup that you upturn on your belly) helped relief symptoms of infections over a few days.

If you did see pus oozing out of your piercing, I'd recommend getting back to your puercer and haviong him have a look at it to evaluate what you should do. Some piercers can also recommend piercing friendly docs who might help should you need treatment.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

"it may look like i'm moving but i'm standing still."
bob dylan

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.