Donate Now

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Easy healthy food

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Easy healthy food
Blue Roses
Activist
Member # 9928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Roses     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm staying on campus over the summer, and for the first two weeks, we have to fend for ourselves as far as food goes. We have a microwave adn fridge, and that's it. I'm a fairly good cook, but I'm not used to dealing without a stove or oven. Anyone have good tips for healthy stuff you can make in a microwave without resorting to variations on prepackaged carbohydrates? (I'm also trying to be vegetarian) Prepackaged stuff tends to have so much salt and fat, and it can be sort of expensive. So far I'm going with pb&j's, cereal, and the healthier of the canned soups. I'll also get some fruit and baby carrots and such once I get the fridge set up.
Posts: 105 | From: Bryn Mawr, PA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get thee some instant rice, pasta, rice noodles, potatoes, oatmeal, flour tortillas, canned beans and veggies, peanut butter, soy sauce, hot sauce (if you like it), and taco seasoning mix. Salsa and cheese if you like them.

Riceandbeans - Boil about two cups of water, toss is as much instant rice, cook until done. Add a can of drained beans (black is good, but any kind works), and the taco seasoning, stir it all up. Serve wrapped in a tortilla with cheese, or all by itself, or as a side dish.

Something much like pad thai - Cook rice noodles in boiling water, drain, add a dab of peanut butter and some soy sauce (and any other seasonings you like, hot sauce is good too), and mix them in. Add canned mixed Chinese veggies if you'd like.

Zap a potato until cooked through (stab with a fork a few times first), split it open, and put in cheese, salsa, or anything else you'd like.

Oatmeal's easy, get the quick kind (not the stuff in little packets, just the kind that's cut smaller than standard), follow the instructions on hte package, add a little milk and/or sugar if you'd like.

You can put peanut butter on a tortilla and wrap it up. Add a bit of chocolate bar and zap for a few seconds for a quick dessert.

Pasta's pretty easy in a microwave, but try to get a small shape so it cooks faster.

And . . .I'll try to think of more later, too.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF

I still love you, oh, I still love you
...Only slightly, only slightly less than I used to

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Roses
Activist
Member # 9928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Roses     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know you could nuke rice and noodles...about how much time does it take?
Posts: 105 | From: Bryn Mawr, PA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bear in mind too that the healthiest foods aren't cooked at all: raw foods are as good as it gets when it comes to your health.

One of my daily staples are good wrap sandwiches: I keep around whole grain toritillas or flatbreads and just wrap'em with sprouts, raw veggies, soy cheese, hummus, the works.

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About as long as on the stove once you've boiled the water (get a big glass bowl), maybe a bit less time. It's the same idea, really, just stir them occasionally, handle with care (ie: ovenmitts or a thick towel) when removing, and it should be fine. Microwaves can heat anything, but they can't bake things or brown them, so most anything but cakes or pastries should work.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF

I still love you, oh, I still love you
...Only slightly, only slightly less than I used to

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Microwave Recipes! http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000518.html

and from the Gen. Health & Nutr. forum FAQ

Healthy Food http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000013.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000100.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000029.html

Vegetarianism http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000061.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000420.html http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000431.html

Tofu (what is it, how to cook it, why we love it!) http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000045.html

------------------
May suffering and pestilence befall the %$@! who broke into my car.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PrettyGirlSuffering
Activist
Member # 11811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PrettyGirlSuffering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if your trying to be a vegetarian, go get those frozen soy burger deals. I forget who they're by, but I think they're in a green box in the frozen foods section of your local grocery store, or food market. Oh, and celery, carrots are good in ranch dressing. The soup-to-go by campbells are REALLY good. I like the creamy chicken, but your doing the veggie thing, they have cream of brocolli, and tomato. Another thing, cereal and milk. Can't go wrong with that. I LOOOVVEEE Frosted Flakes & 2% milk, so so so so good. Just look around your local grocery stores, or market. You'll find a ton off stuff. Also, head over to the book store and pick up some cook books. Or if you're strapped for cash, look it up online. Foodnetwork.com has a TON of recipes! Good luck!!

------------------
.a.m.a.n.d.a.

-=No one can make you feel inferior without your consent=-Eleanor Roosevelt

Posts: 71 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Roses
Activist
Member # 9928

Thanks for the suggestions :-) I can now boil things even more easily, since it was discovered that through freeboxes and stuff, our little cooking co-op of four people has among us approximately seven hot pots. Go figures *shrugs* So much noodles are being cooked by all.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.