Donate Now

my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Vegetarian

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vegetarian
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm catholic and every year on Ash Wednesday we have a choice to give up something till Easter Sunday. I've decided to give meat excecpt fish and eggs.

I was wondering if anyone had good non-meat recipes because I don't think I can live off (let alone afford) a veggie sub from Subway

------------------
"I get on my broom and make the bad guys go BOOM!" ~ From the wise words of a thespian on Harry Potter

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are 2 posts with recipies just a little further down the page.
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000045.html
(Fun with Tofu)
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum24/HTML/000029.html
(yummy and healthy in your pots and pans)

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*B*
Activist
Member # 4876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *B*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a vegetarian for about 6 years now and there are some really great recipes you can try. Just remember to make sure that you get enough servings from each of the five food groups and substitute meats for things such as lentils, peas, beans, legumes and nuts which are high in protein.

these are a couple of good recipes you might like to try:

RAINBOW RICE PIE
1/2 teaspoon saffron or tumeric
4 cups of water
1 cup brown rice
4 eggs
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
4 spring onions, sliced
1 green pepper, chopped
1 stick celery, sliced
1 zucchini, sliced
1 carrot, grated
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 cup skim milk
125g feta cheese, crumbled

bring the saffron and water to the boil. Add rice and cook for 40 minutes until tender. drain and mix with one egg. Press into the base and sides of a 23cm buttered pie plate. Combine garlic, spring onions, green pepper, celery and zucchini.Spoon into rice shell. Top with carrot, combine remaining ingredients and pour over vegetables. Bake at 190C for 40-50 minutes until set.Serve with a tossed salad and crusty bread. Serves 4-6

SAVOURY CHILLI PANCAKES
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons mixed herbs
2 1/2 cups skim milk
1 egg, lightly beaten
100g chedder cheese, grated
2 zucchini, sliced, blanched
4 silverbeet leaves, shredded, blanched

Sift flour, add herbs, milk and egg, mixing until smooth. Heat a non stick frying pan and pour a little mixture, tilting the pan to form a pancake approx 18cm in diametre. Cook until golden brown on both sides. Cook remaining batter to make 12 pancakes. Combine cheese, zucchini and silverbeet and divide between the pancakes. Fold each pancake into 4 and place on a baking tray. Heat the oven at 180C for 5-20 minutes. Serve two pancakes per person with chilli sauce. Serves 6

CHILLI SAUCE
1 tablespoon butter
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons flour
1x425g can tomato puree
1-2 teaspoons chilli sauce or powder to taste
1 cup water
1 teaspoon dried basil

Melt butter and fry garlic and onion until tender. Add flour and stir 1-2 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients and heat until thickened.

hope you enjoy!

------------------
-*B*-

Posts: 110 | From: australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi BuffChick,
VegWeb has a huuuge database of vegetarian recipes, as does AllRecipes' Vegetarian Recipes so you have something to pick and choose from. Even after Easter, there are many tasty, healthy recipes at these sites.

Have you tried looking at your library yet? My library carries Vegetarian Times, a monthly vegetarian/vegan magazine, which is also a great resource. Have fun!

------------------
Ash
Scarleteen Advocate

"If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming."
--Goethe

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bunny1201
Neophyte
Member # 7001

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bunny1201     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm a vegetarian by choice. I usually eat rice, spaghetti, fruit and veggies. Salads are also great, if you're on the go, grab a granola bar But you NEED to make sure you're getting good nutrition, take a multi vitamin everyday if you already don't.

Hope I helped
~*Liz*~

BTW: I know this doesn't belong here, but I just joined and why can't I post a new topic?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Liz, please see the following post: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum27/HTML/000223.html
Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.