Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Good Snack Ideas! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Good Snack Ideas!
momma cat
Activist
Member # 363

Icon 3 posted      Profile for momma cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got an idea! How about everyone posts their favorite healthy or semi-healthy (I'm not a rabbit!) snacks that are easy enough to keep around and make in a dorm.

This year I'll have the luxury of a mini-fridge and a kitchennette on every floor that includes a microwave and stove. But not all are that fortunate...

If you really really want a food that has to be refridgerated or cooked and you don't have the means, you can probably find a neighbor willing to help you. But for easy stuff, my favorites my first year were:

Cup O' Noodles: there's veggies in those thar noddles!! And, you don't even need a bowl. But that is rather environmentally unfriendly...

Pumpkin Pie. Seriously. I went to the store one day and bought an 8" pie and ate the whole thing! I was so happy! It's good for any meal or a snack, and pumpkin's a vegetable...granted, it's process and has tons of sugar, but it's still better than a candy bar. Also, it can survive a couple of days without refridgeration.

"healthy" chocolate bars. Sometimes you just need chocolate, and it's got you RDA of calcium.

Cheese. Needs refridgerating, but I've heard it has more calcium per serving than milk.

Apples. Me and my roommate from Taiwan were practically addicted to the carmel apples at a store down the street! Remember, adding sugar does not decrease the amount of vitamin A, C, and whatever the heck else is in them. I like the kind with chopped peanuts on top with granny smith apples the best.

Ceasar salad in a bag. You can buy kits that have the lettuce, dressing, croutons, parmesan, and a fork and napkin, and come in a bowl. You'll probably have to venture off campus and pay $4.00 or so for it.

Bananas, oranges, easy mac (hey, it kept me from ordering an entire pizza when I got cravings for cheese), crackers, raisin bread, raisins, craisins (cranberry raisins - 10X tastier than grape raisins and good for your urinary tract!) nuts, cereal, trail mix, cheese sticks, canned fruit veggies and pasta, beef jerky, other meat jerky, oatmeal... I'm sure there's many others.

Oh yes, Hickory Farms!!! I got a friend of mind a cheese ball for her birthday and she was absolutly THRILLED. She and a friend at it all in one night. I think it was cheddar with walnut.

Posts: 155 | From: WA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i too have cup o' noodles in my dorm room, but i am not even going to pretend that it's healthy. one serving has 30% of your daily value of saturated fatm 51% of your daily value of sodium, and negligible amounts of anything good. but yum.

better than ramen noodles is miso soup. if you go to an asian food shop or a health food store, you can usually find instant miso soup which is delish. you just add boiling water.

i like crackers a lot. triscuits and goldfish, for example. also those teriyaki rice crackers. empty calories, but good for procrastination. microwave popcorn is yummy, and healthy if you get the healthy no-butter kind.

fruit is the best. apples (better for you without caramel ), peaches, bananas. i eat a lot of bananas because they have potassium, and as a dancer i have muscle spasms and bananas seem to help. plus yum. granola bars and fruit bars.

it's good to have a water filter and some juice on hand too. do NOT under any circumstances buy a case of really cheap orange soda from wal-mart. it's bad news. between that and the all-chocolate care package my mommy sent me, it's the end of me.

hehe.
em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo, oranges! I love oranges! Seriously, I'm completely addicted to having fruit around. I've found it very strange that if I keep food in my room, and I've got a choice between junk food and something like fruit, I'll choose the fruit everytime.

Cereal is good too. Lately I'm very attached to Special K with Red Berries. It's got at least some minerals and stuff, and but it's sweet enough that I can eat it without feeling the need to "improve" on it.

I'm also a big fan of snack sized individually packaged stuff. Like 2Go packs of cookies. If I get the munchies while I'm doing homework, I can get one little pack and go back across the room to where I'm studying and keep working. When I finish the pack, I'm usually just too lazy to get up and get another one.

Now of course, my one downfall in this entire plan, is a big one. Shhhh, don't tell anybody...*whispers* cheese balls....ya know, the crunchy kind that come in the can. No nutritional value, and 12% of my sodium for the day. And they come in that giant can! So tempting...

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Not everything in this magical world is quite what it seems"

"Remember, I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together!"

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sushi is a delicious snack. expensive, though.

i don't snack much anymore. i have dehydrated corn that makes a tasty snack. and some japanese rice crackers. and Pocky (once in a while). i have candy on the table, but i seldom eat it. i keep a roll of Mentos in my backpack, though.

but it is dinner time. perhaps i oughtta eat a proper meal.

------------------
A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...healthy food...that's a hard one..hehe, jj.

I like handi snacks, they're yummy!

what else...

apples and cheese, nectarines( i love those!), umm....

those are prolly all my faves...yeah, i think so..hehe!

------------------
"where'ths my mommy?"
-Shawna

Akimsa (non-violence)

~Erin~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*me*
Neophyte
Member # 5065

Icon 12 posted      Profile for *me*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dried apricots and rasberry licorice!!

Posts: 6 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just begun to like green peppers, and I eat 'em all the time now. Dipped in a little ranch dressing, they're even better- but ranch dressing isn't the healthiest thing, if you eat alot of it on a regular basis. Mmmmmm...

I also like apple slices with a little peanut butter on them.

------------------
Long live the geeks..

I wanna sleep on the hard ground
In the comfort of your arms,
On a pillow of blue-bonnets
In a blanket made of stars

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CEREAL!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Neophyte
Member # 4993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OMG I was just thinking about this topic today! Great minds think alike, hehe.
Okay, so here's what ya gotta do:
1. Take some crackers, put mozzerella on top, put some pepperoni on top of that (you can buy prepackaged pepperoni slices in the store), and nuke 'em for about 25 seconds. Till the pepperoni starts making popping noises and the cheese gets all melty and...cheesy. You can also add: oregano, garlic powder, cheddar cheese, olives, or parmegan cheese.
2. Freeze grapes overnight. MMMMM!!!! They will get SO yummy.
3. Freeze little cups of yogurt overnight. I'm totally serious. Especially flavors like Pina Colada....SO yummy, you have no idea. And nutritious, too!
4. Popcorn.
5. Pretzels.
6. Low-fat French onion dip or ranch dip with raw broccoli, coliflower, etc. So good, and you can't even tell it's low fat!
7. Fresh, crunchy apples and cheddar cheese.
8. Carab chips (instead of chocolate chips)taste like chocolate!
9. Sweet potato chips...the orange ones. You may have to hunt around for them, but it's totally worth it. They taste a thousand times better than regular potato chips, and are much more healthy.
10. In a blender, whip together some milk, ice cubes, sugar, vanilla extract, and LOTS of bananas, strawberries, blueberries, whatever. Fresh OR frozen.
11. Pour some juice in a cup, maybe with some grapes in there or whatever, and freeze overnight for popsicles!
12. Try new fruits and veggies. Just because you didn't like something as a three-year-old, or have never heard of it, doesn't mean it's yucky! Blackberries, mangos, pomegranets....

All of these things are DELICIOUS and do not taste healthy at all! But believe me, they totally are. Would I lie to you?

[This message has been edited by Monkey (edited 09-19-2001).]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SolitaryTear
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Healthy? hehe, how can it NOT be healthy?? hehe ... well I'm not in college, but i love to eat....

Those little 25 cent little debbie snacks, they're cheap and yummmmyyy.

Cheese crackers.

Goldfishes (They're baked, not fried!)

I like those cheez-itz... those are soooo yum.

Pizza pringles.. YEAH BABY!

What about those little "Cube" cheese things from Kraft? Those are yummy.

Lunchables.

Usually a big grocery store will have a salad bar, so I love salads with cottage cheese, shredded cheese, ham, broccoli, lettuce, tomatoes, those long sliced carrots, with either french, italian, or ranch dressing.

I also like those little handi snacks, those are great.

There's so much more, but I'm getting hungry just thinking about all the cheese and stuff, so I'm gonna go munch hehe.

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~.*^*.aMaNDa.*^*.~
An Evanescent Beauty That Will Never Flee

[This message has been edited by SolitaryTear (edited 09-20-2001).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lunchables.
(quote from Solitary Tear)

oh god! no lunchables! have you ever looked at the ingredients on those things? i'm telling you guys, there is a reason why they don't need to be refrigerated. why does everyone love all this processed crap so much?

if you want cheese and crackers, buy some crackers and some healthy cheese and have cheese and crackers. if you want pita pizza, get some pita bread and some tomato sauce and some cheese and make some pita pizza. if you want a hamburger, i can't imagine why you would eat a lunchables burger. ugh. trust me, not healthy.

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

[This message has been edited by emsily0 (edited 09-20-2001).]

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cate
Activist
Member # 3634

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Cate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK im addicted to pickles and oranges. I love'em. I freak out if I don't have a least one orange or pickle a day, lol.
OH ya, a snack i love is cucumbers. I just cut those up and put on some dressing and thats it.
And chewy bars, I like those (the smores kind, yum)
Pop tarts- but i only like the smores kind
Ummm oh i love fruit by the roll up or whatever there called.
Ok i'll stop now cuz i could go on and on. Great topic!

Posts: 87 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SolitaryTear
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
wow... we have something in common... lol... i hate pop tarts... the only kind i will eat are the smores kind... and i absolutely LOVE those yummmmmm

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~.*^*.aMaNDa.*^*.~
An Evanescent Beauty That Will Never Flee

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nocturnal Kitten
Activist
Member # 5316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nocturnal Kitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loooove cucumbers. My favorite way to eat them is cut them up in small pieces, then put some Ranch dressing in a bowl, add some salt and pepper and dip the cucumber pieces in it. It reminds me a lot of a recipie for vinegar cucumbers that my grandma always used to make.

Sub sandwiches. I love the BMT's you can get from Subway.

Pretzels. Rold Gold fat free or low fats are my favorite. They're not as greasy as the regular pretzels.

Popcorn. The same goes for it to, except the brand I eat is Act II.

And lots of fruits. I've always been more of a fruit eater than a candy eater.

------------------
It took so long to remember just what happened.
I was so young and vestal then.

Posts: 50 | From: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girly2499
Activist
Member # 4188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girly2499     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KittenGoddess:
cheese balls....ya know, the crunchy kind that come in the can. No nutritional value, and 12% of my sodium for the day. And they come in that giant can! So tempting...

oh boy...cheese balls. I can't resist those things. I've ate two tins since last weekend. I fall victim to them every time I'm pms-ing. Not good. But, I love cheese on crackers. That's healthy. Also, trail mix. I didn't read through all the posts I just skimmed them but trail mix with the right things can be very healthy. Then normal things like baby carrots and celery. I have to agree with Emily on the goldfish idea. Goldfish are more healthy than those cheese balls but I still get the cheeseyness of the snack And smoothies are just the best thing ever. You just throw in any type of fruit you're craving, milk and ice and then you get so much fruit in a tasty way!

Posts: 87 | From: nebraska, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maro_chik
Activist
Member # 4272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maro_chik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My fave is sub sandwiches with less than 6 grams of fat! But you can't go wrong with a block of cheesy goodness. Cup O Noodles are good, quick, and easy too. And tasty.

------------------
"I like a man with rock in bum."
-Tom Green

Posts: 63 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sapphire85
Activist
Member # 2709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sapphire85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of cut up apples with fat free caramel on them.. also of trail mix.. Reduced-fat Peanut Butter with salt-free pretzel.. and tons of fruit. I eat about 6 pieces of fruit a day. It's crazy. I like rice with duck sauce too, miso soup, and sushi. Forgot those.

------------------
"Do what you will, always..
Walk where you like, your steps...
Do as you please,
I'll back you up.." ~DMB

Posts: 121 | From: Some random suburb.. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rio
Activist
Member # 2072

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Rio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm....snacks! Like a coulple of people have already mentioned miso soup is awesome.

Some of my other favs. are:
fruit:
- star fruit (I've only seen it in the store a few times. It has a strange shape, but its quite yummy. )
- apples
-oranges
veggies:
- carrots
-cucumbers
-celery
- baked pumpkin w/ brown sugar and butter. Though its not the healthiest thing its really yummy. It doesn't taste like pumkins at all.
- Salads
-backed sweet potatoes
crackers
- goldfish (yum yum)
other stuff
-rice and beans
-cheese!! (mmmm...)
-cottage cheese
That was off the top of my head if i think of something else I'll post it.
~Rio

------------------
"There are a lot of hidden nerds. I'm aware of the exciting man in Trent The Nine Inch, but I can see the nerd in him, too. People who become the front runners often used to be outcasts or loners." - Tori Amos

Posts: 60 | From: near Indianapolis | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh man, it's like i've just discovered fresh fruit! there's nothing quite like devouring a fresh guava. you've got to try it some time

------------------
A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Neophyte
Member # 4993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
pomegranets. you eat the yummy little red stuff surrounding each seed, then spit out the seeds.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Thang
Activist
Member # 5508

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Miss Thang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pirate's Booty. And Veggie Booty. YUM! It's like cheese balls but really really healthy ones and they are so good. You can find 'em at health food stores. The Veggie Booty has spinach and kale, which you might not like, but I do. The Pirate's Booty is just aged white cheddar cheese.
Posts: 211 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justagirl
Neophyte
Member # 724

Icon 7 posted      Profile for justagirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good topic! i really like fresh fruit, such as, apples, oranges, strawberries, pears, and kiwi. For veggies i like carrots, celery (esp w/ peanut butter), lettuce, tomatoes (actually a fruit), and cucumbers. i really like crackers and popcorn for snacks. and yogurt. i also like soups which are generally pretty healthy. i try to eat healthy, but it is hard sometimes!!!
Posts: 17 | From: Minnesota, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HOUMOUS
I adore houmous. For ages I thought I didn't like it because it's kind of mushy and brown but recently I have developed a slight addiction to it. For a snack that's very easy to make just take a contaner of houmous and ether some crackers or rice cakes or even cut up salad veggies and dip to your heart's content. It's very, very, very nice.
Also i am assuming it's healthy because my mum buys it from the heathfood shop and used to try and make me eat it.
Another thng I've recenty discovered for snackn is olives, preferably stuffed with garlic and in oil not brine, and marinaded feta cheese. You can either buy that or make it and it's perfect for dippng into when you get a bit hungry. Fill a jar about a quarter full wth olive oil, and herbs and spices or even a clove of garlic to taste, cut some feta cheese into small cubes and put in the oil. By the net day it wll be absolutey yummy. The marinading takes a lot of the salty taste away but I bet the sodium content is still pretty high!
Hmmm..prehaps I should move to greece and eat these snacks in some sonny hilltop vllage taverna rather than a rainy Manchester kitchen-I think they'd fit better there!

------------------
You wanna save humanity, it's just the people you can't stand-John Lennon

Witness the infinite justice of the new century. Civilians starving to death whilst waiting to be killed.

Manky Confuddledness

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know what else is good if you want something on the salty side? Olives and pickles. YUMMY! Its making my mouth water now.

Something else that is good, is pudding (CHOCOLATE OF COURSE!). I just bought some of those for myself and I love them! Yum! I think I am going to grab something to eat now.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Bobaroony & Erica Bearica
<3 love forever!

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've discovered tofu's true calling:

Veggie corndogs

No, really, you can stop laughing - they are divine

Morningstar farms veggie corndogs are so close to the real thing, it will astound you. Trust me, I'm really, really picky, and I am hard pressed to tell the difference between those (which have only 150 little calories, and lots of great soy protein!) and those nitrate-filled originals, which have about 450 calories.

And for the love of the goddess, stop eating Lunchables!!! They are simply fat and salt, and have no nutritional value whatsoever. Shudder. The preservatives alone are the suff of horror films.

for good snacks, I like:

roasted red peppers (roast them either on a grill, or in a 450 degree over until they blacken, are soft, and "collapse"(about 20-30 minutes - transfer to a bowl, and cover until cool enough to handle - the skins will peel off easily. then remove the stem and seeds - viola!) Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil, and add raisins, grated parmesean, garlic, pinenuts - just whatever you like, or have laying around.

Good cheese and apples - I especially like Madragil (a kind of swiss type cheese) or jarlsberg.

Peanut butter and bananas - even better, put sliced bananas and peanut butter on slightly buttered bread, and cook like grilled cheese. this isn't really low calorie or anything, but it is delicious, and full of vitamins and protein.

Vanilla yougurt and granola - satisfying and yummy.

Oregon chai (of this brand, I like the "not so sweet variety) and soy milk (I like sun soy) I adore this concoction hot or cold.

for a good fast-food option:
Go to Wendy's, and get a baked potato and a small chili - top the potato with it - good enough to forego sourcream! yummy and full of fiber.

Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'rin
Activist
Member # 1950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'rin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i like to buy that expencive for no discernable reason gormet cheese spred (allouett garlic and herb specifically) and dip my pretzles in to it, preferably fat free pretzles so i can pretend they make up for the fat in the cheese. my fave snack at the moment has been easy mac tho. i kno i know i know it's bad for me. but it's quick and it's tasty and it's not to pricy if you get it on sale. at school i used to make ramen noodels in my coffee maker before i got a microwave, and it's also possible to pop jiffy pop over a coffee pot burner if you are really truely determined. microwaved grilled cheese sandwitches are also good. one more before i got eat something - chick peas with olive oil, red wine vinigar, some pepper, whatever herbs you have handy, and maybe some blue or feta cheese. dunno why, but if you let it sit like 10 min or so it all melds and gets really yummy.
'rin

------------------
"-and i hope i'm not shooting my mouth off...again...and i pray i'm not tempting the fates....."
-james, off millionaires
They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-ben franklin

Posts: 219 | From: lost in yonkers | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by glitter695:
CEREAL!

Like cereal, Erica? Hehe. I love cereal, also. My current favorite is Cookie Crisp. I like cheese and crackers, and apples[/], and [i]ice cream(ok maybe I take advantage of this one, heh), and cottage cheese. Anyone else like cottage cheese? Mmm!!! I could go on and on! Oh, how I love food. Although I never get any fat off of it... Hmm...

------------------
Dont Mess with Texas

"Only in America, where we can dream as big as we want to."
-Brooks and Dunn

Life is not fair, a fair is a place you show cows

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, i thought this topic could use a bump, and i also thought of something i haven't had for a long time that makes a good snack.

My mom used to make this for us for breakfast, but i forgot about it.

Bananas on toast. It may sound gross, but for someone who doesn't like bananas(aka. me) it's delicious. Plus, you're getting potasium.

------------------
"No self-respecting woman will let a naked man in socks do the squelchy with her'-Jeff Murdock
(Coupling, BBCC)

~Erin~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tasha
Activist
Member # 6784

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, snacks! My favorite snack would have to be cereal...Crispix, Chex, Special K, Cheerios. Or Frosted Mini Wheats if you have a sweet craving. I usually just eat it dry. Trail mix is good too!

Fresh fruit, esp. grapes, apples, mangos, bananas, and melons. I love fresh veggies, like celery, cucumbers, carrots, and broccoli. I usually eat them plain, or sometimes with fat free Ranch dressing. Or, w HUMMUS -- yum! I've found that hummus goes with pretty much anything...fruit, veggies, pretzels, pita bread, crackers. It comes in like a dozen different flavors, too.

For snacks-on-the-go, I like dried fruit mixes or granola bars. Another fun idea someone told me about on a camping trip is GORP. It stands for Good Old Raisins and Peanuts. Basically you just mix peanuts and raisins for starters, and then add in your own favorites. (I like to put in M&Ms and banana chips).

Ok, last one -- tortilla cream-cheese and jelly roll-ups. Just take a plain tortilla shell, spread on some cream-cheese and jelly, roll up and yum!

------------------
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

share your opinion: http://www.geocities.com/tkaterisha/survey.html

[This message has been edited by tasha (edited 02-13-2002).]

Posts: 68 | From: Brooklyn, NY (Ev,IL right now tho) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

i've had gorp, but when i had it it had granola or something in it. i don't like it.

anyway. my new favorite snack foods: nature valley honey oat granola bars. they are classic. they aren't chewy, they're crunchy. mmm...oats. i am a horse sometimes.

also miso soup lately. the kind i have comes with a little pack of miso paste and a pack of garnish which is dried tofu, seaweed, and scallions, and you mix the two and then add boiling water and everything sort of rehydrates and tastes just like the real thing. you have to get it at an asia food store though.

also wasabi peas. spicy-sweet yum. they're like dried peas with this sort of odd coating. they look weird but taste good. mine are from trader joe's - i love that store!

oh, and did you know that annie's makes easy-mac? annie's mac and cheese is good because it's all natural - none of that orange crap. i found annie's easy-mac, it is delish and much better for you.

my lates secret joy is sugar wafers. they're like thin cookies with layers of frosting in them and a waffle-type pattern. yum yum. :-D

em

------------------

rekling
Activist
Member # 6341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rekling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mmm.
i love fruit (except citrus fruits which i don't eat).
apples are great, as is apple cider, which we get fresh at my co-op on wednesdays. today is wednesday. happiness.
unfortunatly, my co-op (for political/ethical/type reasons) doesn't get banannas, so i steal those from the giant campus dining hall (and apples too, when i'm there).
i agree with the hummus people, but i rarely have any in my room, and as my co-op is about 10 minutes away, i don't go there for snacks.
red peppers are also excellent.
i also always keep a container of fortified soymilk in my fridge-- as a vegan its my best/most reliable source of b-12, and it is protein, and it tastes really yummy.
i have to admit that i frequently get cravings for sugar, although i'm trying not to eat it (refined sugar,that is, mostly because in additionto being not-good for my body, it makes me feel yucky).
and water. i drink a lot of water (well, this week i drink a lot of tea but that's because i've been sick). unfortunately the water in where i live is really sucky and chlorinated.
couscous is another favorite here-- my roomie and i eat lots of it when we don't have time to go to lunch (with a bit of soy sauce or iwth some spices, its yummy and easy to make, just add boiling water)
and of course breakfast is instant oatmeal (*not* the yucky flavored kind!)
-rek

Posts: 72 | From: oberlin, oh / new york city | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

I just discovered another nifty and delicious snack from my mom.

I take about 3 of those big whole grain crackers and some soaked feta cheese, and eat 'em together, and man is it good.

------------------
"No self-respecting woman will let a naked man in socks do the squelchy with her'-Jeff Murdock
(Coupling, BBCC)

~Erin~

luscious_leslee
Activist
Member # 6912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luscious_leslee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there's nothing i enjoy more than snacks.
i absolutely love apple chips, fruit leather, triscuits with feta cheese on top, yogourt with granola, apples with some cheese, spinach dip (yummmmmmmm... i want some now), carrots, cheecha krakles (they're only tasty for so long. incase you don't know what they're their a hot air puffed potatoe type pretzel that is super healthy), yogourt covered raisins, corn nuts, sunflower seeds, celery. there's so much more but i can't think of anything else because it's making me hungry.

------------------
some say i'm boy crazy, but then again what soon to be 17 year old with raging hormones and nothing to do isn't??

Posts: 91 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janeth
Activist
Member # 3478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janeth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im not a cheese eater, so i like rice cakes. They are so yummy, and don't have a lot of calories unless you eat the whole bag, which isn't hard to do cuz they are soo addicting! They come in small and large and many different flavors. I also like chocolate chips, yes i know they are for cookies but they are good by themselves.
Posts: 51 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olive
Activist
Member # 8964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I swear I just ate the healthiest snack! It was fat-free Vanilla yogurt 30%calcium, with wheat and barley cereal. It was pretty yummy.

Ceasar salad is sooo good. So is dried fruit and nuts. Like, cherries, banannas, pinapples, cranberries...its a trail mix. When I have healthy food in my house Im determined to eat it. It might not taste as good as a fatty snack but my body is worth it. It makes me feel good, more energy... It gives me a boost of self esteam and motivation when I have been eating good.

Posts: 338 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.