Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » READ-ONLY ARCHIVE » General Health & Nutrition » Summertime reminders

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Summertime reminders
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, so it's summer (for some of us), which means many of us will be hitting the beaches and the parks for hours of fun in the sun! Which also means we need to be taking extra precautions with our health.

• Don't forget the sunscreen! I know that having a tan may look really cool, but getting skin cancer isn't so cool. So if you want a tan, try one from a bottle instead and stick with the sunscreen while you're outside.
  • Apply that sunscreen before you get to the beach or park. It works better that way. Also have somebody else help you apply it so you don't miss any spots, and remember to re-apply every couple of hours and/or after you get out of the water.
  • Don't forget your hat and sunglasses! A sunburned scalp is just no fun at all and protecting your eyes from UV rays is very important too.
  • Drink lots of liquids and have regular meals to keep your energy up.
  • As far as sex goes...don't leave the condoms in the sun or in a hot bag or car! And while sex in the sand or in the woods may sound like a lovely idea, sand in a vagina or poison ivy on your tender parts isn't so pleasant at all, so in practice it might not be so much fun. Also remember that sex in public places is illegal.

If anybody else has any other summer fun tips, feel free to add them on!

This has been a public service message from your friendly local goddess. I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
the kittenblog

"Follow me or perish, sweater monkeys!"
~from 'Bring It On'

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

• "Plenty of fluids" means at least 1-1/2 to 2 quarts of fluids daily. This can be water, fruit juice, or fruit-flavored or carbonated drinks. Avoid alcoholic beverages and those containing caffeine. Avoid very cold beverages because they can cause stomach cramps.

• Never leave children, the elderly or pets in a parked car, not even for just a few minutes. The air temperature inside a car rises rapidly during hot weather and can lead to brain damage or death. Cracking the window to let air in does not protect kids from hyperthermia.

• A final reminder - take care of your pets. In many ways, dogs and cats react to hot weather as humans do. Offer pets extra water and be sure to place the water dish in a shaded area if outdoors. Make sure pets have a protected place where they can get away from the sun.

------------------
"Why worry about STD's? Public lice is so cute!"

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
italienprincess
Activist
Member # 3087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for italienprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thatz great!
thanx for posting that stuff!

im a lifeguard, i just started last month and i got burned in places i never thought could get burned. the tops of my feet, in between my toes and fingers UGH! it was awful!
i had put sun screen on before i left for work, so i couldn't figure out why i burned so bad!

remember!
reapply sunscreen every 2-2 1/2 hours, even if its sweat-proof.

ne thing over SPF 30 really doesn't work. for top protection, stick with 30.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starry Night
Activist
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second the lifeguarding comment - I now slather on SPF 30 (doctors and the AMA are now ruling anything over 30 to be bogus and are changing labels on sunscreen) 2 times in the morning, 2 times in the afternoon, wear a hat and sunglasses, and sit under an umbrella. Having the tops of your feet burned HURTS!

*A handy way to tell if you need fluids is to look at the color of your urine - if it's real bright yellow with an odor, chances are, you need more fluids.

[This message has been edited by Starry Night (edited 06-24-2001).]

Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh ... on the sunscreen note. When you wear sandles, the tops of your feet are open, and are NOT protected from the sun. I forgot to put sunscreen there once, and had to wear the same sandles for two weeks. The tops of your feet are extra sensitive to the sun b/c they're never really exposed. And the backs of your legs ... I always forget that too
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlirtieGirlie
Activist
Member # 2510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlirtieGirlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*Remember to get underneath your bathing suit a little bit when you put sunscreen on, it has a tendency to shift around, and you could get burned if you didn't put on sunscreen there.

*And remember your face!!! It gets burned really easily, and then you can wind up with a sunglasses tan!! (not that thats ever happened to me )

*Get your ears too, my sister had 2nd degree burns on the tops of her ears cuz she forgot sunscreen there! It was nasty, I dont want anyone else to get that.

Um, thats all!! SUNSCREEN IS VITAL!!! It's good stuff, use it. :P

------------------
A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a best friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying "THAT WAS AWESOME!!"

If there's no chocolate in heaven, I ain't going

I Love You Dan!!

[This message has been edited by FlirtieGirlie (edited 06-27-2001).]

Posts: 141 | From: The Bolton Ghetto, Mass. :-) | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to ask, this may sound crazy-- but if sunscreen is left in the sun for too long (so it gets kinda liquidy) is it still okay? I know sunscreen is supposed to work in the sun... but is it okay if it's already been in it?
Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sapphire85
Activist
Member # 2709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sapphire85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sunscreen left in the sun too long can become less effective, so you're best off leaving it somewhere where it won't be directly attcked by the sun's vicious rays. Hey italienprincess- I'm a lifeguard too! :-)

------------------
"Do what you will, always..
Walk where you like, your steps...
Do as you please,
I'll back you up.." ~DMB

Posts: 121 | From: Some random suburb.. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

• With Sunscreen, make sure it is fresh – do not use leftovers from last year or sunscreen that has been kept in a car or under other conditions that could have destroyed the chemical components that actually protect your skin (especially excessive heat). Buy new sunscreen if you are not sure how old the stuff you own is.

• Make sure you always use sunscreen on your calves. – It's easily forgotten, and the top spot to get melanoma (the worst type of skin cancer).

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and don't forget about it because they're predicting about 50,000 cases of melanoma (aka skin cancer) this summer alone in the US. don't be one of those people. from my friend's mom being a dermatologist, i can tell you..the pictures of skin cancer are NOT pretty.

------------------
"It beats me how Freud could say 'What do women want?' as if we all must want the same things." --Katharine Whitehorn, English journalist

Posts: 354 | From: san mateo, california, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

• Avoid wearing perfume in the sun, unless it is sun-safe (good brands have special summer editions). If you do use perfume, you can give yourself permanent blotchy skin.

• If you wear make up, try to drop the heavy forumlations in summer. If you have sensitive skin, heavy makeup and sun can be the perfect recipe to break outs and mallorca acne (sun acne).

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

• Thinking a cold shower will refresh you when your're all hot and sweaty?
    Not really: what's much better than an ice cold shower, which might be refreshing for a minute but actually get your circulation going so much that you end up coming out of the shower sweating your little bum off, is a lukewarm or cold shower. Still refreshing, and no sweat attack straight afterwards.

• Going topless somwhere? (be it the beach or the backyard) - guard your nipples. The poor dears probably haven't seen much sun in their lives, so use sunblock on them and on the rest of your breasts.

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 4 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow ... I never would've thought of putting sunscreen espeically on my nipples It sure makes sense tho!

In more weird news ... A woman here (somewhere here, in Canada at least) was burned by a hot penny. Yes, a penny, as in 1c coin. Kinda scary huh? She sat on it when getting into her car ... The car was in the sun, which caused the penny to heat up. There's a burn exactly the size of the penny on her thigh ... Which will eventually turn into a scar! Be careful where you leave your change

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And, ona auto mobile not, be careful when sitting into cars in hot weather, especially if the interior is leather!!! Put a towel underneath you if you're wearing shorts.

If, like me, you live in a country where the sun is an infrequent visitor, remember also, that wind burns too!

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
don't forget your lips!!!

i'm a confessed lip balm junkie so i never go anywhere without some in my pocket, but when you are out in the sun, you really should apply some lip balm with sunscreen in it. the skin on your lips is very thin and super sensitive. sunburned lips SUCK!!!

most lip balm brands make a version with sunscreen in it. i'm totally addicted to lip smackers brand and they make some tasty SPF 15 flavors (strawberry icicle rules!) that also come with a cute clippie-thingie so you can attach it to your belt loop or bracelet or anywhere really to make sure it is handy while you are splish-splashing at the pool or beach or where ever.

also, with pets... we try and keep our doggie inside during those hot, humid southern summer days, but when we have to put her out, we freeze a plastic container full of ice (we keep one in there so it is ready to go) and put the huge block of ice in her water bowl so it stays cold and she always has refreshing water while we are gone. another idea is if you have a baby wading pool in your yard, keep it partially filled so your pet can cool off whenever they need to.

happy summer!

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the sun is coming out, and i see the bikinis are back on the shelves. it's a good time to read this again.

------------------
Mmm ... crispy, delicious bacon.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
youcancallmepunk
Activist
Member # 11139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for youcancallmepunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh the topic of pets, I have a few suggestions, as I have a few pets:

If your gone for long periods of times (probably 4 hours our more) it's best to get your animals a automatic water dish, were it constently refills itself.

If your animal is on a teather line, make sure the line can reach shaded spots outside.

I put the sprinkler out when my pups are outside, It waters our brown nasty grass and keeps them cool, or put a wading pool outside for them to go and cool down in. (I do the sprinkler because my dog is afraid of bodies of water.)

Now onto humans:

SPF 30 or better is your best bet to not get burned, also remember to reapply it every 2 hours (I know that has been mentioned but you can't stress it enough.)Even if you don't think your going to be in the sun that long, its a good bet you might get burned.(I learned that driving around town in a convertable tracker....bad stuff happened.)

Take a nice cool or lukewarm shower, not COLD, because this can make you sweat more (as mentioned) and you can also throw your body into shock.

Water is your friend, drink plenty of fluids.

Don't swim by yourself, I know thats a given but most people don't listen to that rule of thumb.

Last of all, just watch out for yourself, if you feel exhuasted then rest, if your thirsty then drink....etc. Your body can easily get exhuasted during hot weather.

------------------
~Jay
"I am the sum of my parts and infinitely more so. The hum of my brain, the curve of my torso. The spark of my wit, the depth of my heart. Size is no measure in such a work of art" (from a Hanes Her Way ad)

Posts: 197 | From: north carolina, United States | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sunscreen. Seriously.
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
la_fileuse
Neophyte
Member # 12773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for la_fileuse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen this mentioned here, so-- a wet swimsuit left on for a while harbors perfect conditions for the beginning of a yeast infection. If you're not going to be in the water, it may be a good idea to remove your suit and allow it to dry instead of continuing to wear it.
Posts: 20 | From: Michigan, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pix
Activist
Member # 13496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
->if you bring a car, park it in shade if you have the choice. otherwise you'll just be stepping into a sauna when you feel it's time to cool down.(i've also seen a sign at the video store saying not to leave videos in cars because they can melt!)

->pull your hair back(if it's long), put on a hat or bandana, or even dot sunscreen down your part if you have to. it's a killer place to get burnt, since it stings when you wash and brush your hair.

->don't forget sunscreen on lips, eartops, nose, the back of your legs. even the bottoms of your feet, if you lie on your front, chances are they're facing the sun.

and have fun!

Posts: 109 | From: canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it's once again summer, I thought it might be time to bring this back up again!

And I'd like to add that we should keep in mind that while this may not generally be what we would consider "flu season", you certainly can still get sick during the summer. Many people have more free time now, and generally we find ourselves congregating together in much larger groups both inside and outside. More people means more germs. So make sure you're eating healthy to keep your immune system in top shape and remembering to wash your hands, etc. It's no fun to catch something a week before vacation.

(Or to catch something at all, for that matter. This is coming from someone who just spent a week laid up with a nasty case of the flu that I caught at work {a doctor's office}, combined with a raging sinus infection.)

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nmcowgirl87
Activist
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nmcowgirl87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi ya'll. This is a great topic! Something I didn't see mentioned though was the risk of heat exhaustion and sun stroke. Where I live, (southern NM) 106F days are pretty common in the summer, and in only one or two hours you can have yourself very sick from over exposure. Remember to drink lots of fluids (not just water or soda - you need electrolytes too from either juce or sports drinks), and acclimate yourself to the heat slowly by staying out a little longer each day. And not to sound like a broken record, but sunscreen sunscreen sunscreen! I've had two incredibly bad sunburns, both resulting from putting on sunscreen in the morning and then working outside all day in a spaghetti strap shirt without reapplying. The first one was so bad that I had to go to the doctor, and he said if I had been out in the sun for 5-10 minutes more I would have had to have been hospitalized. We're not talking about being a little red here - I had quarter size blisters all over my shoulders and back, and was nauseous for a week. I had to stay inside for 3 weeks, and for the first two I ran around topless because it hurt so much to wear a shirt. My skin was still pealing four months later. The second burn wasn't quite as bad, but I still had nickel size blisters and was stuck inside for two weeks. I think I peeled for about three months after that one. They were both incredibly painful, and my doctor says that it's virtually guaranteed that at some point I will get skin cancer because of those burns and how much exposure I get on a regular basis. One of my mom's friends found out last summer that she has melanoma, and she's on chemo right now. The stuff she's taking is called interferon, and it's hell for her. It really scares me that I will in all likelihood be in the same position a few years down the road. If I could redo everything, I would.

If you DO end up with a burn (shame, shame!) aloe gel helps some. So does a product made by Avon called Moisture Cream. I'm not kidding - if you're not really burned but are a little pink it will make it go away overnight if you put it on three or four times and let it soak in. In the summer, my grandmom, bless her heart, meet us at the door and won't let us out of the mud room until we've been thoroughly coated with the stuff. Then she hits us again before dinner and right before bed. We complain, but we don't really mean it because it works! I have threatened to make her a holster, because she draws the stuff like a gun! If you get a bad burn on your body, there's a product you can get at Wal-Mart or wherever that helps. It's called Aveeno Soothing Bath Treatment. Mix two or three packets in a tub of lukewarm water. Let it cool until the temperature feels ok on the burn. It works best if you can soak in the tub for at least an hour twice a day. When I had my really bad burns, I lived in the tub! My mom bought the aveeno stuff from our pharmacy by the case, lol. If you get burned as bad as I did (REALLY shame shame!) then I would recommend just leaving the tub full and only changing the water and aveeno once or twice a day. It's made from oatmeal, and it can get kinda hard on your drains. It really is better to prevent the problem in the first place by not getting burned! This year we're buying SPF 50 sunscreen by the gallon and keeping it at several convenient locations so everyone remembers to use it frequently.

Have a great summer everyone!

XOXOX,
Tab

Posts: 64 | From: Carlsbad, NM USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CorsetFetish
Activist
Member # 14592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CorsetFetish     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just one more time... SUNSCREEN!!

Also, in case you get burned, like I did yesterday, keep a bottle of aloe vera gel in the fridge. It feels divine on burnt skin!

~Corset~

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Insane
Activist
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Insane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HATS!!!! Nice wide brimed hats. Don't worry girls GAP and Old Navy make very stylish ones! Nothing like a burnt scalp! (that goes double time for people with thining hair)

SUNGLASSES!!!! Your eyes deserve protecting too!

Don't forget to take proper mosquito protection in areas plagued by West Nile Virus. Empty out standing water. Wear light coloured, light clothing, covering your body in the evenings when the mosquitos are out.

------------------
I want a tail mommy.

Posts: 234 | From: Ottawa, Ont, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The leathery sunbathers are out on patrol again. It's time to remind you all again about sunscreen.

I got some spray from Coppertone. It's great. No oily mess. Feels light. Lasts long, and it doesn't wash off in the pool.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today was a gorgeous and blazingly sunny day in Los Angeles. Hope you all have sunscreen!

--------------------
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I second that. For any resident Vermonter's, it's the first day of sun we've seen after 16 straight days of rain (yes, in case you're wondering, we got about 7 inches and a couple thunderstorms to boot...that's a lot of water, folks)

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hands - put sunscreen on them too, to prevent melanoma, and also signs of premature aging.
I just slather the stuff all over.

Water - 1 1/2 to 2 quarts is generally ok for light activity indoors. For heavy activity in 85+ heat, aim for 1 quart per hour, not to exceed 12 qts per day. Don't drink more than 1 qt of water per hour, or you risk hypernutremia, where you flush nutrients out of your bloodstream via too much water.

Athlete's foot - wear shower shoes in public facilities at the beach. Hot water and occasional disinfectant doesn't kill all the germs people encounter.

Remember to eat enough too. For some people, appetite decreases in the heat, but your body still requires the same, if not greater, amount of food to function properly.

[ 05-28-2006, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: kitka ]

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sugapllum fairii
Neophyte
Member # 29147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sugapllum fairii     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the mention of sensitive aresa in the sun, DON'T FORGET YOUR EARS!!!!!

Seriously burnt ears are just so painful, if you hit them while your brushing your hair or something, then ouch! Don't just put it on your face, remember your neck and ears as wellas they a lot when burnt.
As do armpits. I know it sounds dumb, but I once sunbathed, arms spread out to the side and burnt my armpits. Gosh how painful was that! Don't neglect those areas!

--------------------
Oh I Wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair, 77 and 69 revolution was in the air
She rocks go to www.sandithom.com and listne!

Posts: 13 | From: London, England | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poppybluefrogs
Activist
Member # 22137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poppybluefrogs         Edit/Delete Post 
Its getting hot here in the Uk so:

SUNSCREEN ALL THE TIME. i've been told by boyfriends aunt who is a dermatologist to wear a factor 15 on my face even in winter and that now it should be upped to a 25 or even a 30. Sunscreen on all exposed skin aswell, same factor as the one you wear on your face, no matter how easy you get tanned. Much safer to wear sunscreen and get tanned slower than it is to go pink and end up with skin cancer in later life. Remember to keep re-applying it aswell.

WATER WATER WATER: drink water, it rehydrates your body faster than anything else (you're 70% water, don't ya know) and makes your skin glow all peachy and healthily too. Be aware though, don't drink too much, any more than 4 pints could mean you're drowning your body cells and flushing nutrients out of your body as well as risking swollen body syndrome (this is often what happens when people drink too much water after taking an E in a nightclub, they drink water because they think it'll make them safe but they drink too much too fast and drown their bodies)

SHOES! if you're going to be going to a beach, where the sand WILL be hot as it often is, or round the side of a swimming pool that has been in the sun all day and the flagstones are hot, make sure you wear shoes, even if they are just flip flops. My cousin burnt the bottoms of her feet one year in spain and couldnt walk for days, and all because she'd stood in some water that had splashed out of the pool and warmed up quicker than usual and then stood on a burning hot pavement without shoes on. Wearing shoes will also simply protect your feet from rogue stones and sharp twigs (i once made the mistake of practicing my karate moves in the garden late one night without shoes on and stabbed myself in the foot with a very very sharp twig and i have a scar now)

HATS AND SUNGLASSES! Hats stop burnt scalps and also can protect your face. Sunglasses give your eyes a break from the glaring sun. Buy ones that WILL protect your eyes, not ones that just look good. You can get them with both purposes at once [Smile]

WAYS OF COOLING DOWN: don't take a freezing, ice cold shower. Take a lukewarm shower or a mildly cold one. it regulates your temperature better and you're not immediately sweating as soon as you get out. Another way of cooling down that i discovered when i was little: when you're hot your hair on your head traps alot of the heat, and you'll notice this especially if your hair itself feels hot. Shake your hair loose for a couple of minutes, especially if it's knotted back or scraped into a pony tail. it might be keeping your neck cool and your hair out of your way but all you're doing is trapping hot air in your hair. Take it down and shake it out a bit, leave it for a couple of minutes and then you can tie it up again and carry on. You'll notice your hair doesnt feel as hot and you'll cool down a bit aswell.

JEWELLERY: beware of jewellery. My grandma wears several chains around her neck and she was sunbathing one day without having taken them off. The outside of them got hot and when she moved they fell against her skin and gave her burns on her neck and chest that are slightly scarred and don't look nice at all. I always take my jewellery off now when i'm in the sun, and don't tend to wear it much either because it makes me too hot. My watch on my wrist frustrates me because i get tan lines and it just makes me itchy because i sweat underneath the band of it, and i won't wear any rings in summer (not even my grandma's old antique engagement ring or the ring my bloke bought me for christmas) as my hands swell in the heat because i retain water and they get stuck. So beware of what jewellery you wear in the sun and always make sure you can get it off without the aid of butter or soap!

Posts: 228 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking back on this thread, I seem to always come back to it the same time every year.

I got a farmer tan at Coachella, despite wearing several coats of SPF 45. I saw a lot of lobster-y shoulders.

This year, I'm using Neutrogena aerosol sunscreen. It's fantastic. Super light. Goes on easy. You can barely tell you're wearing sunscreen but it's SPF 45.

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.