Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » MEMBER-ONLY FORUMS » Village People » music lessons for kids!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: music lessons for kids!
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so happy! I'm going to start giving music lessons in the slums. The kids are going to be divided in two groups, 7-9 year olds and 10-11 year olds. Its going to be general music; appreciation, reading, singing, rhythm... What do you all suggest? I just want ideas to make my classes fun!

--------------------
"Love does not make itself in the desire for copulation, but in the desire for shared sleep." - The Unbearable Lightness of Being, Milan Kundera

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Teach them English with pop songs. that's what my friend did in Japan.

Clapping exercises are good, too.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feefiefofemme
Activist
Member # 23917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feefiefofemme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's so exciting! I have plans to give music classes to kids at our local homeless shelter once I'm in highschool, and I'm really looking forward to it.

My suggestion? Do choreography. Kids love it, and it's endless fun. Plus, with the older groups, you can let them help make it up. Also, a goal of some sort (such as a low-key performance for parents, or something) is a great thing for kids to have to look forward to.

Posts: 406 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keekee
Activist
Member # 28826

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keekee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nailo,
I learn and teach the guitar and what we do it have 1 hour lessons , we split the first section into practise/warmup which usually is about 20 minutes, then we have theory /book work for twenty minutes then the last is fun where i learn and teach fun songs in the charts etc. Made my lessons enjoyable and time flew by i loved it and still do and ive been doing it for nearly 7 years now!

Clapping to learn rythums is good. And for the theory part we made rhymes to remember stave lines etc ... like Every Good Boy Deserves Food for the lines going up and the parts in between was always FACE. I guess this helped to make it fun for me. I passed my music exam grade 4 like this .

Anyways good luck ... all the best hunny
keekee
xxx

PS this gives the classes a structure and probably much needed stability as well!

[ 05-24-2006, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: keekee ]

--------------------
Yes, know thyself: in great concerns or small, Be this thy care, for this, my friend, is all. - Juvenal

Abuse can and will only survive and thrive if silence is kept. So lets speak out?!

Posts: 83 | From: Dagenham, Essex UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.