Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » MEMBER-ONLY FORUMS » Village People » why are we here?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: why are we here?
retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for retarded_brat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey all.....
i just got thinking....we are all born, and we go thru school, we eat, sleep, drink, play....then get older and go to college if we're lucky...and if we're even luckier we join the rat race and try earning some money to survive....then if ur even luckier, you meet someone and have kids with that person and have to earn even more money to see those kids through....abd if ur really really lucky, the kids appreciate it and don't become pains, but 9 times outta 10, they do become pains.....then you become old, your kids don't bother helping you out when ur teeth are rotting and u can't walk, and then you finally die of some disease or old age, and then people come to your funeral, shake their heads and say..."well...he/she had a good life...."....WHAT FOR???....i mean....why are we living?....isn't there something more to life?....is there such a thing as rebirth?....any input from you people?

------------------
what-me-worry?

Posts: 134 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not everything has a purpose. Some things are just good for our soul.

I heard that in a movie, and it's true! The point of life is to try your best. It's about having fun, having responsibilities, and helping people.

If we weren't here, what else would we do?

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlwaysWorried
Activist
Member # 8472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlwaysWorried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I accepted that nothing had a point many years ago and then got on with my life. Bad things don't seem to get you down as much if you already know that nothing matters in the end.
Posts: 125 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~jess~
Activist
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~jess~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think about this all the time, i mean what is life all about?

------------------
i love matt
my world

Posts: 278 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*thatchrisygirl*
Neophyte
Member # 8930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *thatchrisygirl*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No offense...I think that is a really horrible way to view life. Granted, it may not be a bright strand of colorful lights but honestly what really is? The idea is to make your life what yo want it to be. Mold your dreams. Come on all this talk of college, a hubby, children, and death is absurdity...who is to say you or I will have any of that? There are no certainties in life...My point is don't try to dictate your future and what your purpose is here on this earth. Live your life everyday...slowly.Not really knowing what lies ahead will allow you to live all the days of your life.
Posts: 7 | From: Tx | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ephesians
Neophyte
Member # 9010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ephesians     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is my belief that we are all here to serve God and to help others through the conviction given to us by the Holy Spirit.

I believe God has a plan for us all and each of us has a special purpose that fits into His plan.

Take me for example. I believe God has called me into politics so that I may humbly represent the people who support me and thus minister to their needs. All I do, I do for God.

Anyway, that is what I believe and I believe it to be the truth.

God bless you,

JAD <><

------------------
For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:16

Posts: 22 | From: Woodbridge, Virginia, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for retarded_brat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah that may be so for you ephasians, but i don't believe in a god or a holy spirit, or "god's plan" for us all.
and i know nothing in life is certain....but whatever certainities or uncertainities we face, what's it all for in the end?....that's my question....i mean, does it all really matter?

Posts: 134 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackRoseFaery
Activist
Member # 7365

Icon 7 posted      Profile for BlackRoseFaery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read something once about reincarnation, and in every life, your soul is supposed to learn some kind of lesson.
Posts: 88 | From: Hixson, TN, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ephesians
Neophyte
Member # 9010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ephesians     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by retarded_brat:
yeah that may be so for you ephasians, but i don't believe in a god or a holy spirit, or "god's plan" for us all.
and i know nothing in life is certain....but whatever certainities or uncertainities we face, what's it all for in the end?....that's my question....i mean, does it all really matter?

I can only tell you what I believe to be true. In the end, those of us who accept Christ's gift of salvation and ask God's forgiveness of our sins, will go to Heaven.

Again, that's what I believe to be true.

JAD <><

------------------
For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:16

Posts: 22 | From: Woodbridge, Virginia, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ephesians, i don't think retarded_brat was trying stir anything up. I think they just meant that while that may be the way you view things, it doesn't work that way for them.

Personally, I don't try and figure out what it all means. I think we're here just to be here, and i believe we don't serve any greater purpose than a flower or a the sky. We're just here to live, and that's what i'm doing.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ephesians
Neophyte
Member # 9010

CelticDaisy,

Well, she just asked for input and I gave mine. I wasn't trying to press my beliefs on anyone else.

JAD <><

Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No no no, that's not what i was saying at all. I just meant be careful what you get defensive about because you could just be reading something the wrong way. I didn't mean to imply that i thought you were trying to push your beliefs on her, i just meant that i didn't think it was necessary for you to get defensive with her when she said she didn't believe in god.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Human beings having been asking this question since the start of time. That is how so many different religions and cults have come into being. People adhere to these groups because they are looking for a meaning to life.

quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Daisy:

Personally, I don't try and figure out what it all means. I think we're here just to be here, and i believe we don't serve any greater purpose than a flower or a the sky. We're just here to live, and that's what i'm doing.

I think, however, we are more significant than a flower or the sky, or even an animal because we have the most advanced brain, and we have something that plants and animals don't have: a conscience - an inner being that tells us what is right and wrong. this alone, I think tells us that we are significant beings, and that there is more of a purpose to life than to simply "exist".

Another thing that tells us this is the way people react to suicide. If people just existed, and then could choose to cease existing, and that was all there was, it wouldn't be such a big deal when someone made such a choice.

[This message has been edited by Zanney (edited 07-17-2002).]

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ephesians
Neophyte
Member # 9010

quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Daisy:
No no no, that's not what i was saying at all. I just meant be careful what you get defensive about because you could just be reading something the wrong way. I didn't mean to imply that i thought you were trying to push your beliefs on her, i just meant that i didn't think it was necessary for you to get defensive with her when she said she didn't believe in god.

I wasn't trying to be defensive or anything. I was simply restating that those were my personal beliefs. I had no idea that she was an atheist. Furthermore, I apologize if I sounded defensive.

JAD <><

[This message has been edited by Ephesians (edited 07-18-2002).]

retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

Ephesians, i am not an aethist..i am a Buddhist and we do not believe in a god, or salvation of our spirit, or heaven or anything of the sort. i agree with you Zanney about us being here for a greater purpose than a flower, since we have a highly developed brain and the ability to feel emotions etc. it's also true about how different religions evolved because people have been asking this question since time began. different religions tell us different things i guess...and we have no idea which is right and which is not.
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by retarded_brat:
different religions tell us different things i guess...and we have no idea which is right and which is not.

This is where the idea of having a "faith" comes in. Nobody can ever know for sure what is right, but they can make a leap of faith that what they are believing is true. And those that openly state that they have no idea are not atheists, but rather, agnostic.

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etoile
Neophyte
Member # 8657

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Etoile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You must understand that just as much as you may not like people bring religon to you, they don't like you bringing religon down on them.

You may not believe in faith, or worshipping or whatnot, but they do, and you must respect that.

Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions.

------------------
No one's a virgin....Life screws everyone

Posts: 39 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

"You must understand that just as much as you may not like people bring religon to you, they don't like you bringing religon down on them.
You may not believe in faith, or worshipping or whatnot, but they do, and you must respect that.
Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions."

i did not bring down their religion and i did not say i don't respect the fact that they worship and have faith, or whatnot. i know that everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions. please do not misunderstand what i said.

Olive
Activist
Member # 8964

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont really know either why were here and if we are coming back so i make the most of my life. I try to get straight A's in school, i want to go to college and become a nutritionist to help people. I believe that my life will continue in my children and theirs. I dont know what to believe in religion, i was bathtised Christian but i dont go to church and i dont know if i can believe in something i dont feel. I build my path and I build my future.
Posts: 338 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

thank you for saying that.....that really does make sense...the idea of being in control of your own destiny...that is something i can relate to....thank you.!

------------------
what-me-worry?

AlwaysWorried
Activist
Member # 8472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlwaysWorried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think, however, we are more significant than a flower or the sky, or even an animal because we have the most advanced brain, and we have something that plants and animals don't have: a conscience - an inner being that tells us what is right and wrong. this alone, I think tells us that we are significant beings, and that there is more of a purpose to life than to simply "exist".

Personally, I don't think we are more significant than a flower or an animal, in fact we are less significant. No other species kills its own kind deliberately, no other species lives by destroying its environment (except stuff like bacteria that break things down, but that's to keep things going). In the words of Agent Smith
"You Humans are a disease, a cancer of this planet.... a plague."

And that is honestly what I think, the world would be better off without us.

Posts: 125 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AlwaysWorried:
No other species kills its own kind deliberately, no other species lives by destroying its environment

You're kidding, right?

Have you never seen animals fight with one another? Have you forgotten about parasites, which survive by thrashing their environment just enough to ensure that the host stays alive but is miserable?

All this sort of populist "humans are a plague" stuff really makes me scratch my head. We're not perfect creatures, and we leave a lot to be desired...but I've never seen a paramecium paint the Mona Lisa. And I've never heard an antelope play Moonlight Sonata. There's enough beauty and goodness in all things to go around, and that includes human beings too.

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," FHOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a quick note on the animal thing.

Ya'll remember zebra's? Kind, horse-like stripped quadropeds that live in Africa?

If a new alpha male comes into the herd when there are foals, he'll kill the foals because they are the descendents of the previous male. Nice, huh?

In fact, many herd or grouping animals do that. It's how they play the survival game.

Early neanderthals would commit infantcide because there wasn't enough food and the mother was not able to hunt.

Okay, time to turn OFF the discovery channel...

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherrymouse
Neophyte
Member # 13565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cherrymouse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a pretty interesting and deep conversation about that topic with my friends.. fairly recently, actually. That is "What FOR?"

I've basically been trying to accept that there is NO point.. and when I reached the understanding that, in actuality (and not in a depressive way) that nothing actually MATTERS, you can be a little less serious.

Posts: 16 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

Icon 4 posted      Profile for retarded_brat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I now know why we are all here. We are all survival machines for the ultimate propogation of the GENE. I feel enlightened!.

Read the Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins and let me know what you people think!.

------------------
"I'm no good at putting myself in other people's shoes, I'm too busy getting my own to fit." - A.D. (Adam Duritz)

chaos
Neophyte
Member # 14227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chaos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EVERYTHING HAS A [flippin'] PURPOSE. YOUR PURPOSE MAY BE TO [do really really bad stuff like a really really bad dude did]. Everything is meant to be.

[edited because we like to keep the boards free of violence and all of its depictions. and because we'd much prefer not to have swear words peppered into our posts. and because caps lock can be reealllyyy hard on the eyes.]

[This message has been edited by BruinDan (edited 07-27-2003).]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
retarded_brat
Activist
Member # 5126

I have more time now to elaborate on my last post. So bear with me!. It's long and tedious, but honestly, it's the best theory that tells me why are are here, and I hope atleast someone here can relate!.

Okay, so when life began on Earth 4 billion years ago, the atmosphere was very different. It was very much like what Jupiter is today, air was full of methane and ammonia and CO2 etc. There was also tons of lightning too. These were the atmospheric conditions of prebiotic Earth. So under these conditions, molecules such as amino acids, purines and pyrimidines formed. These same conditions have been simulated in lab experiments, and these same molecules formed.

So now we have molecules that were slightly more complex than before being formed. Big deal?. Not yet. Big deal is when these molecules somehow attained an ability to replicate themselves. This is not as incredible as it sounds. What if a certain molecule had the ability to attract complimentary or similiar molecules towards it, and then cause these molecules to line up and align themselves accordingly?. (This is what happens when DNA replicates). So now we have a new class of molecules with a unique ability to replicate themselves. (lets call them replicons)

But as with all copy systems, errors do occur, and if an error occurs, it follows on to the next generation. Thus it's possible to have variances between these replicating molecules and they are not all the same. So now we have a population of replicating molecules, each having small differences.

As with Earth today, the resouces are not unlimited. The raw materials required to make these replicons were finite. Thus as more and more replicons appeared, the raw materials started getting more scarce. Thus evolved competition. Competition for raw materials.

What factors make one replicon better than the others?. If a certain replicon A had the ability to replicate faster than the others, then it would be at an advantage, and the population would soon have an abundance of molecule A. Similarly, if a certain replicon B had the ability to break down a different kind of replicon and then use the raw materials from that molecule to make another replicon B, it would be at an advantage as it would have found a source of raw material, and it would also be eliminating one of it's competitors. Say if yet another replicon C evolved a protein coat around it, that would protect it from such would-be predators. It would then be at an advatage and it would survive into the next generation to replicate itself.

So now we have a whole population of more and more elaborate replicons, replicons that are continuously evolving new ways to propogate itself. Natural selection favours the replicon that has used it's surrounding conditions to it's best advantage, and thse replicons become more abundant. Natural selection penalises replicons that have not made the best use of it's surrounding conditions and these gradually "die out". Thus, things can only improve. There is no room for error. So these ancient replicons evolved and became even more elaborate of using the resources, and eliminating it's competitiors, and propogating itself. They are absolutely selfish, their only interest is in spreading themselves, and it's this single minded-ness that makes them so ruthless, so selfish.

Where are they now?. They are inside all of us. They have long ago given up the free-living lifestyle they once led, and they live hidden inside us, having evolved elaborate and tedious and long-winded means of communicating with each other. Everything we have been programmed to do is for the good of THEIR own selfish propogation. They are our genes.

------------------
"I'm no good at putting myself in other people's shoes, I'm too busy getting my own to fit." - A.D. (Adam Duritz)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.