Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » MEMBER-ONLY FORUMS » Village People » Tell me you love me

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tell me you love me
Laura
Activist
Member # 3426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It just occurred to me that I've been registered here for almost a whole year, and I've only posted forty-something times. And most of those were to argue with John Doe about feminism.

Right. So, I'm Laura, how d'you do? I make my modest living as a graduate student at the University of Chicago. Got my master's degree this week (yippee yay!), and I'm on track to get my Ph.D. in two or three more years. Then, I guess, I'll be Dr. Laura.

Current non-work-related projects, in no particular order:

Making pies out of as many things as I can think of that start with the letter P.

Coddling three impatiens plants into brightening my office with their flowers.

Following the brilliant basketball career of Mike Dunleavy, Jr., which sadly is over until next season.

Collecting Celestial Seasonings tea boxes and cutting them up to decorate my room.

Teaching myself Latin. Or rather, re-teaching...I took a class six years ago, but I've forgotten it all.

Keeping my clavichord in tune. (Clavichords are like pianos, except they go out of tune more often. )

Current work-related projects include fixing a $100,000 laser and debugging a computer program that's almost as old as I am.

My favorite color is purple, and my favorite number is 17. And that's enough for right now.

Posts: 107 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cute Katie
Activist
Member # 6602

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cute Katie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations on getting your master's degree... that's awesome!

------------------
-~-Katie-~-

"True love is like ghosts, which everybody talks about and few have seen." ~La Rochefoucauld

Posts: 59 | From: Michigan, USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Laura! Welcome to Village People. Congratulations on getting your Masters', that's awesome! (P.S.- haha, Dr. Laura)

------------------
Don't mess with Texas.

greenjay blog

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Activist
Member # 3426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Katie and Daydreamer. You're very sweet.

It's been a long week. I'm taking a class in biophysics this quarter, which I thought would be very cool, but it looks like it won't live up to my expectations. The professor is assigning an ungodly amount of reading, mostly original papers, which is very slow going. Most people in the class aren't finishing their reading, which means we have to spend class time going over stuff that people should have learned from reading the papers. The class is huge (35 people - there are only about 100 grad students in the whole department), but the prof is trying to conduct it like a small seminar class, which is just not going to work.

I went to see the play "Proof" on Wednesday. I was disappointed. The first act set up all kinds of themes and plot lines, but the second act didn't really go anywhere with them. The only theme that was carried well throughout the play was the idea that mathematicians live in constant fear of going insane. As an ex-math-major, I could really identify with that one.

Posts: 107 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.