Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » MEMBER-ONLY FORUMS » Village People » ThisGuy (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: ThisGuy
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...I'm glad to hear people still remember me.

'Laska, I'm still using all my email accounts, intermittently.

Life's been busy - work went completely berserk when my boss dropped a NASA project on me, and I've been going crazy ever since. It's been kind of cool though - interesting, fairly simple work, and I'm working with a cool chick. Until now, I've mostly been stuck behind my PC, working on my own, mostly...

Lauren's up in NYC for the week, which I think is unfair! Why do I always get stuck at work?

Coming up on the anniversary of the terror attacks. Depressing, because you know TV is going to be full of insincere blather about tragedy and evil.

I just wish people would look at the world. Why does all this give George Bush a pretext to attack Iraq? Why are they discussing something as idiotic as a cruise missile defense system? Why on Earth does the arbiter of peace, justice, and freedom, decry an international treaty to create a war crimes court? Only a moron would honestly think the American judiciary system capable of prosecuting its own war criminals.

All the murders, all the "collateral damage", all the rhetoric, and all the propaganda, and people just can't get it through their heads that there is more going on than they think. Has anyone even explained WHY September 11 happened? Those guys weren't insane: they HAD to have a motive.

Tell me this: what do they even think they're accomplishing? New jargon: blocking forces, daisy-cutter bombs. New rhetoric: "the war against terror", "the axis of evil". New ideas? Nope - they're fighting a moderately successful campaign against the wrong enemy. If the war is being won, why is Al Qaeda still financially strong? Why are they still recruiting? And why haven't serious questions been asked of Saudi Arabia?

It seems to me that 100 years of bad foreign policy has come around to bite America on the bum.

If George Bush cares about peace, justice, and freedom, he should spend even a fraction of the money he's wasting hunting paper tigers on helping the starving billions of the world.

------------------
Cars for everyone!
For the penisless, inbred redneck in you!
For the penisless, psychotic, imbecilic executive in you!
For the mindless idiot in you!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 10 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, you're alive! Glad to hear that you're well and happy. Even if Lauren did get a vacation while you didn't. haha

I don't agree with too much of your take on the current geopolitical situation, but not to worry. The beauty of this country is that we can disagree all we want and have it be Constitutionally protected! Good call about Saudi Arabia though...I've been asking myself the same question for months.

You take care of yourself out there, will ya? And tell Lauren her illicit boyfriend says hi! heehee

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goodness Richard, it is so very good to hear from you. Am now in Melbourne studying and how I wish you were here so we could meet up.

Interesting, what you are talking about because I have to submit a Pol Sci essay in 36 hours on the same topic or well, almost.

Hope everything is okay besides Bush and well, Bush.

Do take care.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Melbourne? Cool!

Where are you studying?

Well, that project stayed frenetic. Last week we had a major meeting with the client (NASA Ames/Langley). That was - we kept getting fried for mistakes we didn't make.

The "cool chick" I'm working with turned out to be a somewhat annoying dweeb. She keeps wasting my time asking me questions about her homework! (She's doing a Masters)

I mean its not like I have a million other things to do...

On top of that, she tries to blame me for her own mistakes, and being the arrogant bastard that I am, I don't like being told I'm wrong.
I usually end up replying to her complaints (which she CC's our boss...), informing them of the real problem, which is coincidentally enough, not my fault. heh

Oh well, half the people on the planet are incompetent weasels. I just happen to be a barely competent weasel.

Looking forward to a (well-deserved) long weekend. Even if every time I shut my eyes, I seem to see a weird mish-mash of C++. Sort of Zen, I guess.

So how is all you peoples? Are Dan and Bepster married yet?

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
richard! it's so good to see you! oh how you have been missed.

------------------
If the shoe fits, it's probably your size.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Goodness gracious! I don't think I was ever really around too much when you were active here, but oh did I miss your wit and humor in previous posts! So glad you're back.
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Thanks guys.

As to my wit? I'd describe it more as malcontented smart-assery...I don't have a sarcastic bone in my body, but my brain certainly is!

It's snowing today. A miserly few inches, but luckily, I can work from home. Yay.

But I guarantee you my wife will be suffering my icy, misaimed wrath.

ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

The missus is up in NY tonight, so I'm just bumming around here on my own.

Been doing a lot of reading lately. Plenty of variety: classics, military tactics/history, philosophy, and God.

Why God? Hey - I'm an atheist! Ignoring the usual ignorant drivel spouted about atheism, atheism is a search for truth.

Personally, I could care less if the truth I find comes from Jehovah, Allah, Buddha, Set, or no God at all. Unlike theists, I am prepared to put any theory or source on an equal footing. To me, the Bible is no different than the Veda or the Torah. (But...I can't read Sanskrit, Hebrew, or Latin...bummer.)

Besides, reading some of the pages on the web about atheists is highly amusing. The religious right are brilliant when it comes to self-mockery. Its just a pity they don't know they're doing it.
Links: www.REMOVETHIS.hom.net/~angels/atheism.html and www.REMOVETHIS.tencommandments.org/heathens.shtml (I'd rather not give these nutballs the benefit of a Google link.)

I found Gandhi's perspective most interesting: every religion is a search for Truth. They're all just shades of the same fundamental Truth, distorted by humanity's limited consciousness. His take on the Truth was "ahimsa". A Hindu/Jainist(?) concept that expresses total non-violence.

I sort of like that idea. Even if its wrong, its the best social code (and that is how I've always viewed religion: a purely social function) I've ever heard of. Ironically, its already expressed to some extent in every major religion, including the oft-maligned Wiccans. It's just a pity no one ever tries for some form of non-violence.

From that standpoint, its almost amusing that I've developed a major interest in combined arms tactics. I've been reading texts by/on Alexander the Great, Hannibal, Guderian, Rommel, Manteuffel, and Zhukov. (The last four are WW2 German and Russian generals. The first two should be known to anyone!) I find the similarities between Hannibal and Guderian's tactics interesting.

And then, I've also been reading some classics. Mostly Dante: I find his perspective on life fairly interesting.

------------------
Save the environment - use your brain!

ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Welllllll...

I do exist.

Sorry to anyone who is upset by this, but there ya go.

I still think about you guys occasionally, but never seem to have the time (or the memory...you'd be amazed how forgetful I am at the end of the week) to post.

Things are the same, I guess. Things are good with Lauren - she's about the only good thing in my life at this point.

I guess that's not strictly true. I have a better job than most, and things are ok there - I had a trip out to NASA Ames a few weeks ago for a presentation, which injected a bit of excitement. I'd like to get some papers published, but that's another story.

Its just...flat. Its all so unfulfilling. I mean all I do all day is fiddle with numbers, and write programs to make more. End result: ten years from now (when anything I do will have an effect), airlines will be able to burn more fuel per passenger-mile than they do already. Deliciously wasteful.

I've also been feeling very tired lately. Ever have those days where you feel like you're 120? I'm not even 26 but I feel so mortally old. I finally bit the bullet and I'm on anti-depressants (3 weeks now), but I still feel enervated and listless. Its almost like you can chip away the veneer of unhappiness without even scratching the malaise beneath.

I suppose I've gone from teen angst to twenty-something "so, this is life?". Bleh. I can't wait til I'm thirty and can bitch about wrinkles...

On the plus side, I have Pro-Pain to listen to until Futurama starts. Lauren's not home, so I can stick on my "mean" music.

Draw Blood.

BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, Richard! You get your arse around here more often and you won't need those antidepressants ever again!

Sorry to hear about your doldrums, but will it help if I tell you that you aren't the only one? Sometimes I wish it was 10 or so years ago. At least then you could be a slacker and get away with it. Even the movies of the time seemed to promote such a lifestyle. But now, man, we're just drones. You mean to tell me I stayed awake in junior high and served detention in high school and noshed on top raman in college for this?!

Hang in there, dude. Somebody somewhere is looking down at us and lauuugghhiinnggg....

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," FHOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Richard. You have been very very missed around here.

I'm not even sure what to say to you but trust me when I say I am sending tons of positive energy your way from your hometown of Melbourne.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is from a way long time ago, but...

quote:
Oh yeah - we were down in lovely Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania, when we saw something funny at a 7-11. A vending machine.

A vending machine that sells LIVE BAIT!

I almost died laughing, but then I realised...I'm living among these rednecks. I nearly wet my pants with fear.

sorry, but i grew up here and had to comment. Live Bait at the 7-11 is only the beginning... trucks wit 4-foot-wheels (useful in mudbogging!) are not uncommon, and unlined roads may outnumber the lined ones.

Welcome to Virginia. yee-haw!

------------------
We installed that lightswitch so you could turn the lights on and off, NOT so you could throw lightswitch raves!

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woo-hoo! Your sense of humor has been truly missed. Welcome baaaccckkk.
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Wellll...another "hi, I'm still alive" post.

Not much new, really.

Had a visit from Dad, and then my best mate. That was great - I've known him for two decades, but hadn't seen him for 2.5 years!

Work is busy. Very busy. All I seem to do is code and code. And fly to San Jose. And sit in stupid meetings. And deal with a co-worker who is marginally smarter than plankton.

The missus is fine. A bit frazzled, cos she just started her degree again. Her mother is having a hysterectomy soon...to head off cancer.

That's thrown something of a spanner into things. She and her mother have both been stressed, and they argue when they get stressed, and they get stressed when they argue. It all sucks, but with a bit of luck, it will all blow over.

Apart from that, I've been reading a fair bit. Philosophy and history, mostly. Better that than the news; between Iraq and US politics, I'd rather not know!

I've been getting most of my news from www.morons.org, which is definitely good for a laugh. Its also a downer, because there's only so many lunatic Christian fundamentalist stories you can read, before you start to lose respect for humanity...

I'm presently on a cocktail of anti-depressants, which helps. I've been more positive lately, but one of them just KOs me at the end of the day. Its funny: I can take mild sleeping pills, Tylenol PM, or drink a bottle of wine, and I won't feel sleepy...but these things knock me out!

I guess its all to the good, though. Lack of sleep is my bane.

ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

I don't think I've checked in here for...a year? A long time.

I'm still living in DC, but on my own. We separated in August/September last year. It's been a messy and difficult year.

I went home for a month in December-January. That was fantastic...I caught up with so many people, and off-loaded a lot of my stress.

Work goes well, albeit rather slowly at the moment. I'm still a NASA/FAA contractor.

Hmmm. Not much else pops into my head at the moment. Hi, I'm not dead!

--------------------
Save the environment - use your brain!

DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. This is a SN I haven't seen in ages!

I'm sorry about your seperation, but I'm glad your doing well past that.

Hope to see you around more!

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! There you are! Sorry about the rough patch, Richard. Hope things work out for you in the long run. Are you planning on staying in the States or do you think you might head back to Oz?

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Good to see you again!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ack! You're aliiiiive [Wink]

So good to see you're still around!

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Glad to see this place is still going!

But I don't see anyone I know except for Gummy and Le Petit Smurf. [Frown]

Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RICHARD!!!! Yay! (Remember me? [Smile] )
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.