Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Some Questions about Articles

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some Questions about Articles
MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaddleyLove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Guys [Smile] me again [Razz]

its been a while. and things have been...difficult in lots of ways over the past few months, not only to do with my sexual life.

anyway, I have some questions about the birth control bingo contraceptive implant article you have on here. as you know, I had the implant last year, in july. reading through the article about the buddy system, it says the implant on its own is over 99% effective. however, with withdrawal it is 99.7% in perfect use. when it says the implant alone is 99% effective, is that without any other form of birth control, so even when someone ejaculates inside the vagina?

my second question is about the irregular bleeding you may experience while on the implant. I know its not a period bc there is no ovulation, but...logically, would the bleeding still indicate one is not pregnant?

Posts: 199 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, when we say implant alone, it means that you can use that method only and it will be 99% effective at preventing pregnancy even with ejaculation.

The only way to know if you are pregnant while on the implant is to take a pregnancy test, but the odds of that are so, so ,so low.

[ 02-27-2014, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that effectiveness rate for the implant alone is...well, for the implant alone, and yes, effectiveness rates for all methods account for intercourse with ejaculation.

Spotting from a method is not really an indicator of not being pregnant, since spotting can occur for pregnant people. Mind, you become pregnant on the implant is about as likely as you being struck by lightning, but still. Per usual, the only sound "proof" of someone not being pregnant is negative pregnancy tests or a healthcare provider making clear you are not pregnant, even though menstrual periods, or withdrawal bleeds, tend to make pretty clear that pregnancy not happen.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaddleyLove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay, thanks [Smile] just needed to reach out to someone again. ive been struggling with so many things over the past few months, struggling to move on and i didnt know what else to do.
Posts: 199 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry to hear you are still having a hard time. [Frown]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

when will it end? i cant see an end in sight for me to this, i feel like i will always have this holding me back. in recent months everything has made me so ill, ive been under so much stress ive lost weight, not eating right. i feel like this is just going to keep going. and...i know what i need to do, i need to get help. just sounding off bc i have noone at home i can talk to about this, hope you dont mind.

[ 02-27-2014, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: MaddleyLove ]

Heather
Member # 3

I can't know what any of this is about without you telling me. [Smile]

But did you keep up when it came to pursuing counseling? If not, how about starting there, particularly if thing still have not changed for you?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

well...after my trip to the hospital in previous posts, it totally destroyed my trust in birth control, everything ive been told about what is a risk and what isnt. i finished counselling about two weeks before this happened, as i thought i would be okay and...well, isnt hindsight a wonderful thing!! i havent told anyone about what happened at the hospital, even though my mum came with me, she knows nothing. this troubles me to start with. also, my bf has gone to uni, and we had a very tough time last semester. i decided that we should go without condoms in november, but i regret it now. i am also struggling to adjust to my new routine- i finished college last summer and have been just working since then, not set hours so its all over the place.
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're feeling like you might need more time with the counselor, is there a way to continue seeing them?

You're right that setting up a new routine can be hard, especially in the post-college transition period. I would use the self-care article Molias gave you in a previous thread for days when the schedule adjustment is making you feel kind of down.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

i would have to go back through my doctor, and im not sure she'd give me another referral. i think perhaps i should look into some person to person privately arranged counselling, rather than over the phone like before.

something troubles me over my fear of pregnacy- last semester, i went through a period of being very angry with my bf for various reasons. the adjustment of him going to uni was so so so very hard for me. i find that when im angry with him/my family, i find myself wishing i was pregnant, so i could...'get back' at them. i find i dont mind the possibility as much. what does this mean? [Frown] it confuses me bc i know its not a good thing to think.

Heather
Member # 3

Knowing that in the past, you have a history of not feeling okay going without condoms, why was that something you suggested?

Per counseling, what kind of follow-up care or advice did your counselor give you? If you both decided you were ready to go without counseling, what were the plans made for that transition?

I am not sure, btw, I understand what you are referring to per an incident at a hospital, or why whatever occurred there made you question the efficacy of your method.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Then I think into person to person counseling is something you should do, since it sounds like you would feel more comfortable with that.

As to what your thoughts and feelings mean or why you are having them, that is something for you to work out with a counselor, as it is sort of our of the range of services we can offer you.

Would you like some info on long distance relationships to help you adjust to your boyfriend being away?

[ 02-27-2014, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

heather- i had a UTI and had to have a pregnancy test, which came back 'inconclusive', meaning they had to do a blood test which showed a negative result. we had only done manual sex until i had got the implant about two weeks before i went to hospital, and we'd had condom protected sex eight days before i went to hospital, so a test couldnt have shown up bc it was too soon. but in the three hours i had to wait for the blood test results, my whole world was coming apart.

per the condoms- i felt okay with it at the time, but only afterwards did the fear come back. we use withdrawal instead, and i have the implant.

i think i am coming to terms with the fact hes gone away, things are alot easier this term.

[ 02-27-2014, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: MaddleyLove ]

Heather
Member # 3

Okay, but I do not see how that, logically, has anything to do with the efficacy of birth control methods. It sounds to me like all of that probably had a lot more to do with your struggles with anxiety than anything else, especially if you felt that unstable during that short wait, you know?

Did you and this last therapist - this was someone you saw regularly in person, right? - decide it was a good time for you to stop counseling, that that was something you were ready for? Or was this a matter of the ability to get/pay for sessions running out?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

well, i just found myself doubting the effectiveness of my implant in particular, and the condoms, and if we'd accidentally touched during manual sex.

ive only had phone counselling, and it was free on the NHS. we'd discussed me getting the implant, and how that would make me feel. and i thought i could cope on my own but i was wrong.

and now...i havent bled since mid january, and im so scared.

[ 02-27-2014, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: MaddleyLove ]

Heather
Member # 3

Okay, so you still need to pursue in-person counseling, which is where we had left off with you the last time you were around.

How about you go and do some legwork on that right now?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

aaah the time on my post is wrong, its actually nearly nine pm here [Razz]

i will talk to my mum when she comes home. i know that the company i work for offers help through a 'retail helpline'', and my boss says they can arrange free counselling, so ill see when i go into work tomorrow.

is the lack of bleeding anything to worry about do you think? i

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

That sounds like a good plan.

As Heather said, the only sound way to know if a lack of bleeding=pregnancy is to take a test. However, since irregular bleeding/ period cessation is a side effect of the implant, and the implant itself is extremely effective, then the odds are extremely high that this lack of bleed is because of the implant.

[ 02-27-2014, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Sam W ]

MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

thankyou. that is a great comfort to me. i didnt bleed in december either. i bled at the beginning of jan the day i had sex with withdrawal then had sex with withdrawal the day after the bleeding ended, then bled nine days after that. no sex since.

[ 02-27-2014, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: MaddleyLove ]

MaddleyLove
Activist
Member # 102003

i didnt get to a counsellor today, but i did manage to get to the CASH clinic where i had the implant put in. the lady was very nice and helped me calm down a bit.

i forgot to say per the bleeding, i was taking cerazette to help with my bleeding september until the beginning of feb.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.