Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » need advice, please help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: need advice, please help
ghostly
Neophyte
Member # 50235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghostly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'd like to begin by saying im 19, and i really want to get on birth control. ever since i've had my period, i've always had really irregular cycles where sometimes i go a couple months without a period and recently i've become sexually active. frankly, i'm just exhausted of stressing out over my menstrual cycle. the thing is i just got out of high school less than six months ago, and although i have a job, i don't really know much about being independent. i know i'm still covered on my dad's insurance, and i have to make an appointment with my family doctor to get a prescription. but i just need some advice on how to go about doing that. can anyone help me out with what to expect and what information i'll need?

also, i really want to keep this as private as possible. i mean since i'm an adult and i'm trying to get protection, if my parents found out i don't think they would have a problem with it, but i still want to keep it private. anyway, it would really mean a lot if anyone could give me some help with this. [Frown]

Posts: 5 | From: U.S. | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey ghostly, Welcome to Scarleteen.

Do you have an idea what type of birth control you'd like to be using. If you haven't yet thought much about it or don't know all the options available to you, how about taking a browse through our Birth Control Bingo article first. After you look through that then we can walk you through some options and also through what you'll need to know beforehand.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghostly
Neophyte
Member # 50235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghostly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to get on the pill cause i've heard that also helps regulate the menstrual cycle, and it seems like that would be the easiest to get especially since i don't really know how much if any my insurance would cover. also i don't think i would be comfortable on anything but the pill.
Posts: 5 | From: U.S. | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what happens is that hormonal methods, like the pill, patch, ring and others change the fertility cycle, and generally vaginal bleeding is due to withdrawal from the chemicals each cycle.

So, it doesn't "regulate" the normal menstrual cycle, because that cycle is put on pause while using those methods, basically. Rather, when using them, bleeding will often tend to be lighter, shorter and occur on a more predictable schedule after the first few cycles.

You and your healthcare provider can talk together to be sure the pill is right for you if that's what you're thinking sounds best.

If you're concerned about privacy, know that your healthcare information is private by law. Your billing information, however, is different in terms of your parents insurance company being billed. So, if you visit using their insurance, and get a method with their insurance, that will tend to show up on their statements.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghostly
Neophyte
Member # 50235

thanks that was what i was worried about. my sex life is something i really don't want to discuss with my parents. the other thing i was wondering when i go to the doctor what's going to happen? i've heard you have to take a pelvic exam. this might be a stupid question, but what are they going to do for the pelvic exam? i think im getting myself to worked up over this, but i'd feel a lot better if i had someone i could talk to [Frown]
ghostly
Neophyte
Member # 50235

actually now that i think about it, is there someone i could talk to about this stuff rather than just posting everything up on a forum? cause i have a lot of questions about what's going to happen. and i'm just not sure what to do. i've been trying to read around on this site but i haven't seen anything that can help me.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a page on what to expect with a pelvic exam: Your First Gynecologist Visit.

I'm not sure what you're looking for per someone to talk with. If you mean another way to talk with us, there's our text service, if you like. Otherwise, that's about it.

But we're certainly not the only people you can talk to. You can call into the doctor or clinic you're thinking of going to and ask them, or even just make a visit for a consultation where you talk about the services they offer and what policies they have. Some clinics in the US here also have phone lines we could direct you to, if you like.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghostly
Neophyte
Member # 50235

thanks! this looks like it will be helpful. and i might give the text service a look when i get the chance cause this is the first im hearing about it. but yeah, i think im good on questions for a while.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.