Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » missed period?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: missed period?
Kaia
Neophyte
Member # 47467

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Kaia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I've been on my birth control for a while now. I haven't had a missed period with it yet, but its starting to get closer to the end of my cycle and nothings happened. Is it possible for my my birth control to cause me to have a missed period, even this long after starting it?

--------------------
Kaia

Posts: 4 | From: Pa | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes withdrawal bleeds can be missed or late, and other times they'll come even though we don't have the normal indications they are going to. If you miss your withdrawal bleed and had a pregnancy risk since your last bleed, then you'll want to go ahead and take a test just to be on the safe side.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaia
Neophyte
Member # 47467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't stopped taking the birth control though; I'm still on the pill

--------------------
Kaia

Posts: 4 | From: Pa | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thing is though, no method is 100% effective at preventing pregnancy, although some get very, very close. So, even if you're on the pill, if you're missing a period, it's a good idea to take a pregnancy test.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaia
Neophyte
Member # 47467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I planned on doing that if I did in fact miss it completely. I just wanna know if my birth control can cause me to miss my period

--------------------
Kaia

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That can happen, yes. If you miss a couple in a row and are not pregnant, it's something you may want to talk to your doctor about, but missing one isn't a huge deal.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaia
Neophyte
Member # 47467

ok, I just wasn't sure. My doctor mentioned that it might happen, but I thought it would happen much earlier on, if it did at all.

--------------------
Kaia

Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can happen at any time. Sometimes our bodies just do what they want to despite what they're expected to do b/c of any medication we take.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.