Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » My Mirena Experience

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Mirena Experience
Dxwn
Activist
Member # 31228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dxwn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a teenager, doctors don't usually recommend getting an IUD. I've never been pregnant, never had children. I'd like to give everyone an update about how the procedure went.

Well, first off, I didn't get to eat beforehand, so the ibuprophen that I took made me nauseated after it was all over. But I went to PPH, waited about 20 minutes, and went on back. They took my vitals, had be sign some papers, and give them a urine sample for a pregnancy test, as well as a blood test for anemia. Once those were out of the way, I say and waited in the doctor's office, looking at all the different instruments she would use. When the doctor came in, she re-preped me on everything about Mirena, and askede if I had any questions, which she answered. Okay, now to lay back and let her get to work. The sound was the most painful for me, probably because that was the first thing she stuck up there. My cervix was refusing to dialate, so she was close to giving up until it finally gave, and it slipped in. Now, even this wasn't all that painful. No worse than a pap smear. She pulled everything out, showed me the strings, and it was a success. Afterwards, as I laid there, my breathing became labored as the immediate side effects kicked in. I was crampy, nauseated, dizzy, and numb. I ended up vomiting, and after that felt better. Both the doctor and nurse stayed with me throughout this time, and after about 10 minutes afterwards, I could stand and get dressed. She gave me a morning after pill, some condoms, and let me go when I was ready. The doctor said it was one of her difficult insertions, but that I was excellent. So, overall, the 10 minutes or so afterwards was worse than the actual procedure. That was about 4 hours ago, and I'm still a bit crampy.

Thanks everyone for your support! I hope this helps out any young teen with no pregnancies about their decion for Mirena. I'm happy that it's over. [Big Grin]

Posts: 104 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to hear you had such a positive insertion experience, Dxwn, and I hope you keep feeling well in the coming weeks! Just remember that if the cramping and what not comes back, it's probably just part of the adjustment period. [Smile] (Why did she give you the EC: had you had a pregnancy risk? No problem, just wondering why.)
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dxwn
Activist
Member # 31228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dxwn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did. I was really happy that they really, truly care about their patients. I've never had anything done and had the doctor and a nurse wait until I was ready to leave, with no rush.

I'm still a bit crampy, but it's going away. I'm able to get around perfectly fine now.

Nope, no pregnancy risk; they do a pregnancy test right before insertion. She gave me EC just in case of expulsion(Which I doubt), and I don't notice(also doubt, I'm really cautious about BC). Just to be safe, so I don't need to run around everywhere to find one.

A few questions though:
she did tell me to finish out this pack of pills, and that there wouldn't be a problem with it. That's normal right?

I've been a little bloated since insertion. Is that also normal?

My BF and I are monogamous since we were virgins(so there's no risk of STI's/STD's. We've both clear, and I was tested for everything before insertion, and we had sex without a condom several times before then), and I was trying to stress to the doctor that we would be together(We've planned on it), solely, but she still suggested condom use. We should be safe without right?

Posts: 104 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dxwn:
I did. I was really happy that they really, truly care about their patients. I've never had anything done and had the doctor and a nurse wait until I was ready to leave, with no rush.

I'm so happy to hear you had such a positive experience with a caring doctor and nurse! [Smile]

quote:
I'm still a bit crampy, but it's going away. I'm able to get around perfectly fine now.
That's good! I mention giving yourself time to adjust because while it really is different for each person, I found the cramps to come and go the first two weeks. Here's to hoping you're without them! As your doctor probably mentioned, some women experience spotting in the few days/weeks/months after insertion, just to mention another more common side effect.

quote:
Nope, no pregnancy risk; they do a pregnancy test right before insertion. She gave me EC just in case of expulsion(Which I doubt), and I don't notice(also doubt, I'm really cautious about BC). Just to be safe, so I don't need to run around everywhere to find one.
OK, that makes perfect sense and it's definitely good to be prepared. [Smile]

quote:
A few questions though:
she did tell me to finish out this pack of pills, and that there wouldn't be a problem with it. That's normal right?

Yes, it is. It is my understanding that if the IUD is inserted within seven days after the start of your period, it is effective immediately; otherwise, it is effective after seven days. Also, finishing the pack of pills would probably help make the adjustment between methods smoother.

quote:
I've been a little bloated since insertion. Is that also normal?
Yes, it's also a potential side effect. (Do you have that booklet that came along with the Mirena because they're all listed there. [Smile] ) I had a friend who was bloated for a few days whereas I was bloated on and off for about two weeks or maybe even a bit longer. But there are also many people who don't get bloated.

quote:
My BF and I are monogamous since we were virgins(so there's no risk of STI's/STD's. We've both clear, and I was tested for everything before insertion, and we had sex without a condom several times before then), and I was trying to stress to the doctor that we would be together(We've planned on it), solely, but she still suggested condom use. We should be safe without right?
Well, first, being each other's first and only sexual partners means it is very unlikely for someone to have an STI but it's not impossible; however, both getting tested regularly and extensively is the way to know for sure, and you two did that. The highest period of STI risk/complications is during the first few weeks right after insertion: by using condoms, you could be extra careful, however it sounds like you'd be fine either way. As for her suggesting condom use, too, here's my take on it. First, you'd be backing up your BC with another method, which increases its effectiveness; even though the IUD is 99+% effective in preventing pregnancy, there still is that tiny chance. Second, she was impressed enough by your being responsible/satisfied enough with your relationship status to prescribe the IUD, so do keep that in mind. [Wink] However, she probably also wants to help you be extra careful-- if also for her peace of mind.

I know you two have been and plan to stay together and monogamous; however, you really can't know what the future will hold. Were you two to end the relationship or date others, you'd want to use condoms, dental dams, etc. I don't say this because I don't trust you -- I have a friend who had more than one nurse hint that her husband could be cheating on her when there was a [then] unknown issue, which is pretty crappy and annoying to have assumed. However, I got my IUD back in January when I was in a relationship that I had thought was/would be long-term, committed, monogamous and with a partner I could trust. Come March and the discovery that this was not the case and I'm unexpectedly single again. From an IUD perspective, that's fine, but I know I need to be extra careful-- as I always would be-- with safer sex stuff. So, I can see both sides of things. I think the key is that you're aware and make the best informed decisions that work for you. [Smile]

[ 03-30-2010, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: Ecofem ]

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dxwn
Activist
Member # 31228

Thanks! That was really helpful.

I've been checking my strings, and I think she might have left them a bit long. I couldn't really feel exactly where the strings were coming from, but they were there. I didn't feel anything sticking out of my cervix though. It was just a little bumpy(Which I expected, since the insertion was a bit rough on it). But other than that, I'm good this morning. A bit sensitive down there, but I think that's pretty expected.=P

Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

You're welcome, Dxwn, and glad I could help! [Smile]

I thought the same thing about my strings -- they had seemed a bit long to me, too -- but they soon retracted further into the uterine cavity. In fact, now they've gotten so short they could get pokey to others. If you're asking about the "bumpy" feeling of the cervix possibly being an expulsion, I really doubt it. I'm not a medical professional so you can always check when your doctor if you're really concerned, but I've heard that "if your IUD expels itself, you'll feel it." Hope you continue to feel well!

Dxwn
Activist
Member # 31228

**Update**
I just got through the first period with my Mirena. It was so light and virtually painless. All I had was a few days of bleeding before, it stopped, and then I had my normal 4 day period like the pill, but with no cramping whatsoever. I'm not in any pain from it anymore, and the strings have softened up enough that I don't feel them, and I was even feeling good enough to try intercourse yesterday! [Big Grin] We didn't use a condom(he pulled out), and my boyfriend didn't feel a thing. So, it looks like Mirena was the right choice for me(so far). Thanks everyone for your help! [Smile]

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.