Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » how much does it cost?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how much does it cost?
fallingstarx
Neophyte
Member # 45682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fallingstarx         Edit/Delete Post 
im in the process of scheduling an appointment with planned parenthood to get birth control.. i was wondering about how much would the bc cost monthly? (i am 18 and unemployed). and would i have to get an exam first? i know that costs extra but i really cant afford it right now, p.s. ive never been to a gyno and i haven't been to the doctors in at least a year
Posts: 39 | From: az | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Planned Parenthood uses a sliding scale based on your income, so we can't know what it will cost. But you can easily get an estimate by calling your branch on the phone and asking them.

Planned Parenthood does not require GYN exams or pap smears to prescribe methods of birth control for their patients in the first year of use. After that year you will be asked to have an exam to continue your method.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fallingstarx
Neophyte
Member # 45682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fallingstarx         Edit/Delete Post 
okay thanks i will find out..
another problem im having right now is i think i have depression.. i heard that the pill makes it worse and im not sure if i can handle that. do you know if planned parenthood could help me with this too since i dont have a gp

Posts: 39 | From: az | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Planned Parenthood can't treat depression: that's outside the scope of their services.

But you should certainly mention that when filling out your health history for them so that your clinician there can take it into account when figuring out what a good method of birth control for you might be.

Per getting your depression addressed and treated, are you currently insured? If not, are you on any public health programs?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.