Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Guy's eye view of the implant

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Guy's eye view of the implant
Chris92
Neophyte
Member # 45764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi (I guess that's as good an opener as any) My girlfriend's decided to get the implant because she doesn't appear to have any kinda cycle or whatever, she might not come on for months at a time when we know she isn't pregnant. Needless to say this caused some stress for both of us cuz even though we're using condoms whenever we have sex, without a period every month we're terrified of being one of that mythical 2% of couples who get pregnant while using a condom.
So, long story cut not so short, she's getting the implant to try and put our minds at ease a bit more. This'll be the first time we've ever used an "invisible" contraception so I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that this magic piece of tubing in her arm is actually going to work and we can have unprotected sex without freaking out. We've both had one other partner each with whom we both lost our virginities so no need to worry about catching anything I don't want right? Anyway, sorry this is a ridiculously long post. Thanks :-)

Posts: 1 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The implant is an exceptionally effective form of contraception, it's more effective than the pill or condoms.

I know that invisibles can feel shaky like this: a lot of people feel that way. One thing I suggest for people who feel anxious about it is just to get a box of a few pregnancy tests to keep around. That way, if one of you has a worried moment, you just take a test and can be reminded that yep, it's all good.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68138 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.