Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Buying birth Control Pills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Buying birth Control Pills
spiderman88
Neophyte
Member # 43200

Icon 5 posted      Profile for spiderman88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard you can only get birth control pills at a certain age. But im 15 and i want some because im sexually active. How can i get some birth control pills by myself without me telling my parents or an adult to.

--------------------
(*Spidey*)

Posts: 3 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need to be a certain age. What you need is a prescription for a healthcare provider, who can also help you determine if the pill is a right choice of a method for you.

You can have that health visit -- and, if the pill does wind up being the method you want, and one that's a good fit with your health history, get that prescription -- with an OB/GYN, your general physician or a sexual healthcare clinic.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spiderman88
Neophyte
Member # 43200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spiderman88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But dont i need an adult permission? How do i get the pills without my parents finding out?

--------------------
(*Spidey*)

Posts: 3 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some states have some laws that require that, but Minnesota is not one of them. In Minnesota -- and most states in the U.S. -- as a minor you have a right to sexual health services, including contraception, and privacy in getting those services.

So, you have a couple options. If you don't want your visit or your pills to wind up on your family's insurance statements, you'll need to pay for them yourself. You can check out your local Planned Parenthood or any other sexual health clinics (there are some good ones in MN, like: http://www.teenhealth411.org/) if you need a sliding scale, based on your income. Through clinics like those, you can usually get both the healthcare needed and methods of birth control at a low cost.

I'd add, though, that if you're sexually active, parents do tend to eventually find out. And when they find out on their own, they tend to react far worse than they would when a teen tells them honestly and directly. So, unless you feel disclosing sex to your parents would put your health or life in danger (in which case it's probably not so smart to be having sex right now), you might also want to consider talking to your parents about sex and birth control, especially if you find you can't afford these things on your own, and plan to continue to have sex without important basics like contraception and testing for STIs.

[ 07-07-2009, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.