Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Some questions about NuvaRing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some questions about NuvaRing
PersephonesChild
Neophyte
Member # 13754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PersephonesChild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been taking Ortho-Tricyclen for six years now, but my boyfriend and I are considering other options. I've been all through the topic of experiences with NuvaRing, and it's left me with more questions.

1. I used to have horrible periods before starting on the pill, and I am not willing to use any birth control method that will take me back to how it used to be. Does NuvaRing generally relieve menstrual symptoms, or does that only happen for some women?

2. A number of people mention "feeling" the ring during intercourse, but they're kind of vague about it. Who feels the ring-- the person with the vagina, or the person with the penis? Is it simply a sensation, like gently bumping into something, or is it potentially painful? Does penis size actually matter for something here-- that is, do individuals with longer penises have different experiences?

3. Why do so many people choose to remove the ring during intercourse?

4. One of the responders to the Birth Control Experiences thread mentioned that her ring fell out and was lost. Is this common? How would this happen?

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. As far as reducing menstrual symptoms, the NuvaRing is generally just as effective as the pill. It really depends on the woman, though: just as one woman might experience a big reduction in cramps (or whatever) on Tricyclen, another woman may find that particular brand does nothing for her cramps. The only way to know for sure is to try it and see what happens for you, just like any other form of hormonal birth control.

2. Either person may feel the ring during intercourse, depending on how the ring is positioned, the unique anatomy of each partner, and a whole bunch of other things. If it can be felt, generally it is just a bit of pressure, but I have read that some men find it causes extra friction and can be painful for them.

3. Some women choose to take it out during sex because they find it uncomfortable to have it in during that time, others are worried about it moving around and possibly falling out. The ring can be taken out for up to three hours at a time without compromising protection, so it isn't a problem to take it out during sex as long as it is reinserted within that three hour window.

4. It's very unusual for a ring to fall out and get lost. It can be a bit tricky to get the position just right the first few months (in my experience, anyways) and it is possible for it to fall out if it isn't inserted properly. But if it's in the right place, it's held there very snugly by the pubic bone and vaginal walls, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Hope that helps answer your questions - if you have any more, come on back!

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5779 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.