Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Any reason to panic?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any reason to panic?
Cuppycake
Neophyte
Member # 42898

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Cuppycake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never had any kind of sex ed classes so am asking what is probably a stupid question. Please bear with me!

I just had protected sex (with a condom) ... and it did not tear, it did not slip off and from the moment I shed my clothes till I put them back on, we had the condom preventing actual genital contact.
Is there any reason for me to panic? I might add that I live in a country where birth control and emergency contraception is illegal. (in fact, the last sex advice forum I was a member of got blocked by their internet service providers...so... ...)

Also, does having sex for the first time affect the onset of periods? I did not bleed, but my hymen was broken quite a few months back and it bled then. I've also heard stress can affect the menstrual cycle, making the period come late? I think this is true, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you in advance [Smile]

Posts: 7 | From: Asia | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If a condom is used correctly and for all genital contact, and does not slip off or break, there is no reason to worry about pregnancy risks.

And no, unless you get pregnant, sex does not influence your period. Though it is possible for periods to come a little later if you are very stressed out.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you used your condom properly -- and it sounds like you did, but since you haven't had any ed, you can take a look at this to be sure, for now and the future -- then pregnancy is unlikely. Condoms, like nearly all other methods, are not 100% effective even in perfect use. But unlike other methods, we usually do know when they fail because we can see the break or know a condom slipped off.

Obviously, if condoms are all you have to work with, you're going to need to figure out if you're comfortable with condoms alone or not. It's also always a good idea to be sure we could deal with an accidental pregnancy if we're going to have intercourse, because even with the most reliable methods of birth control it still is always a risk. If a pregnancy seems like a total nightmare, or something that would ruin our lives, it's wise to consider if that kind of sex is really the best thing for us at that time.

No kind of sex can change menstrual periods unless a pregnancy occurs: those are controlled by a different part of your body than sex engages. But by all means, the stress some people experience around or with sex may have that effect.

[Sorry for the extra post!]

[ 06-10-2009, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.