Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Diaphragms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diaphragms
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently on the pill and using condoms.

While I am happy with both of these methods, I'm thinking of adding a diaphragm into the measure for extra protection against pregnancy.

First of all, do you think this is a good idea? Why or why not?

Also, through my insurance, I get a limited number of doctor visits per year? How many visits does it usually take to get one? Would she give me a prescription for it, or order it through the doctor's office? I don't know wether it'd go in my prescription coverage or doctor coverage.

Is there any other things I can do to be better prepared for this? I'm planning to go see her my woman's annual exam in june, So i want to be fully informed by then.

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strumpet
Activist
Member # 36501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strumpet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are on the pill AND using condoms, then you really are about as protected as you can get. Seriously. I wouldn't worry about.
Diaphragms tend to be used more by women who are uncomfortable using hormonal birth control, so if you are pleased with the pill, the diaphragm is unnecessary.

However, to answer your questions: You do need a prescription to get a diaphragm, which you can get from your doctor after an appointment where she will fit you for the right size. Then you take that to a pharmacy and they will provide it for about $50. You can get a follow up appointment to make sure your diaphragm fits you and you are wearing it correctly if you like.
The diaphragm itself would fall under your plan for prescription drugs, if you have one, though not all plans are all-inclusive, you you'll want to do some research to see if it is covered.
Hope that helps! But truly, I think you're fine with your two methods of birth control. Any ST officials want to back me up?

Posts: 61 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Backup requested, backup received. [Smile]

atonement9, together, the pill and condoms are about as effective as you can get in preventing pregnancy. For more info on that, check it out: The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

Adding in a third method wouldn't make any practical difference, particularly the diaphragm, which is actually slightly less effective than condoms or the pill. By all means, ask your doctor about it if you like, but three methods is really no more effective than two, particularly with a combination like condoms and the pill.

[ 04-27-2009, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.