Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » the patch vs, the pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: the patch vs, the pill
Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smiley64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when talking about the patch and the pill, is there a specific one that is more effective or has a lesser failure rate? i've alo heard of alot of people having trouble with keeping the patch from falling off.. does that take a toll on it's effectiveness?
Posts: 169 | From: usa | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Their effectiveness rates in both typical and perfect use are identical.

I'd say that it seems like people missing pills is no more or less common than patches falling off: and the fact that they do have an identical typical use rate verifies that one is not more or less foolproof than the other.

So, I'd say the three main considerations in choosing between these two are: a) if you want to deal with BC daily or weekly, b) if you have any health issues that make one a better choice than the other (women around and over 200 pounds, for instance, don't seem to absorb the hormones from the patch as well as smaller women do) and c) just what method of delivery per the hormones, a pill or a patch, you prefer.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67996 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smiley64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i weigh around the ball park of 155 so that'd be okay right? also i think the patch might be a better choice for me due to the fact that with everything i try i can never swallow pills whole, so i end up chewing them.. thanks for the info tho. [Smile]
Posts: 169 | From: usa | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, there is a chewable birth control pill available: Femcon Fe.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley64
Activist
Member # 34285

i looked at the link you attached, and that also sounds like a really good possibility.

"According to one study, for women who weigh 155 lbs or more (163 lbs is the average US woman's weight), using a pill with 35 mcg of estrogen, like Femcon Fe, may minimize the risk of pill failure compared with lower dose pills."

however this quote from the website confused me.. is it saying that if you weigh less than 155 lbs that the pill has a slightly higher failure percentage than if you are over 155 lbs?

--------------------
~Smiley~ =)

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I believe that what it means is that one study found that for women who weigh more than 155 lbs, a pill like Femcon Fe may have a lower risk of failure than other lower dose pills.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.