Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Period wonkiness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period wonkiness
beautifulS0LE
Activist
Member # 33229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beautifulS0LE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last month my period came about two weeks late and I began taking my birth control pills when it came. My period has come back but this time on its normal schedule (the 2nd/3rd week of every month). My question is, how will my BC affect my period? Will it make the pill less effective?
Posts: 51 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you get withdrawal bleeds -- once you start a combination pill, you no longer have periods, technically -- has zip to do with the effectiveness of your pill.

And over the next couple cycles, your withdrawal blled should ctach up to where it's supposed to be with your pill, when you take your placebos.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beautifulS0LE
Activist
Member # 33229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beautifulS0LE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh okay. So it's okay that my withdrawl bleed isn't at the time of my placebos? I'm not quite sure how my body reacts to the pills yet
Posts: 51 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even when a person starts the pill with a period that was when it was expected, it's typical for bleeding not to be on time with the placebos for a couple cycles.

If it's not happening within the placebo period within three pill packs or so (and since your period was funky, in your case, maybe even a couple extra), then it's worth checking in with your doc, but otherwise, it's nothing to worry about for now.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beautifulS0LE
Activist
Member # 33229

Thank you so much for your reply!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.