Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » getting BC on the cheap

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: getting BC on the cheap
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody know where I can get access to less expensive Yasmin? The local Planned Parenthood doesn't have it on their fomulary list and my insurance doesn't cover contraceptives.

Is the planned parenthood formulary for BC the same in every state? I'm thinking I might head up to the next big city to get my BC if that's not the case.

[ 08-10-2006, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: kitka ]

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You still in NYC, kitka?

http://www.ppnyc.org/services/locations.html

I'll continue to do a search for any programs in the state. A lot of states have programs to offer family planning services, they just take some digging to find.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's something I managed to find:

http://www.prochoiceny.org/boc/sect6.html

This lists several options that might be do-able, depending on your income.

You can also call the PP or public health clinics in your area and ask specifically how much the pills would cost you every month, and go with the lowest.

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitka
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in Oklahoma for grad school, Lauren

I just called our regional PP - they don't offer Yasmin because it's so new. And I make a bit too much to qualify for any family planning benefit programs in NY or OK.

Thanks for the help tho'. Isn't it odd that women have to shell out so much for BC but on the male end - buying condoms - it's a reasonable expense. [Smile]

Posts: 455 | From: New York, NY | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Well, darn. I guess your only choice is to keep shelling out the big bucks, or switch pill brands. Which can be crappy if you've found one you really like.
beetred83
Neophyte
Member # 30749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beetred83     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much would you be willing to pay for it? Here is a link to a site where a 3 month supply is $50 (S+H is included I think):

(Edit - link removed. Any company that sells Rx medications without necessitating an actual prescription is sketchy. We don't know where these meds are really coming from nor if they can be trusted.)

[ 09-15-2006, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

Posts: 1 | From: New York City | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you called the health center at your university? As a grad student, you are likely still have access to student health, so you can probably get the meds from them at a lower price.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.