Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » period / pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: period / pill
icygirl88
Activist
Member # 23887

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icygirl88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all, been awhile since I've posted here. Anyways, my prom is on May 30th. I am on the Pill and my period is scheduled to start on May 29th. I have a heavy, bothersome period (the pill didn't even help it much) where I have to change my tampon every 2-3 hours or so during the first couple days. I know it's going to be annoying during prom. Do you think it's OK if I skip a few pills, and start up again in a few days, so I can push up the start day of my period? (If this works I'd be sure to use backup protection if I had sex around this time.)

Thanks!

Posts: 72 | From: massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That probably isn't going to be best for you, or your body.

What you can do (with permission from your doctor, of course) is skip the placebo pills. Be aware, though, that this isn't a guaranteed way. You can still have breakthrough bleeding.

Your best bet is going to be calling your doctor and discussing it with them. They have your medical history available, and can best guide you. [Smile]

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to sound like a pain, but do you not urinate at least every 2 to 3 hours? I know i do. Is it really that much of a bother to just take a tampon in with you?

The biggest issue i would have would this might be some cramps, but then there's always Advil [Smile]

I would strongly discourage you from trying to mess with your cycle like this. I've tried it a few times and it's always come back to bite me in the butt.

If this is something you really want though, i agree w/ DarkChild -- You need to call your doctor.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icygirl88
Activist
Member # 23887

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icygirl88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The GYN said that I could skip the placebo pills but that I might get breakthrough bleeding, like you said, during the next month until I get my real period next time around.

Honestly now. I've had my period for 4 years now; I'm used to changing it every 3 hours. I know it doesn't ruin your life. I just would rather not bother with it on my one senior prom night, especially since mine is so heavy. P.S. I urinate like twice a day, not every 3 hours...

[ 05-11-2006, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: icygirl88 ]

Posts: 72 | From: massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you only urinate twice a day, it might be a good idea to increase your liquid intake. Urine is getting rid of toxins and other non-essentials, so peeing is always good.

And I'm glad you talked to your doc. Have fun at Prom, then! [Smile]

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing you may want to consider is getting a menstrual cup, like the Divacup or the Keeper. They are worn inside the vagina, like a tampon, but they hold a lot more liquid than even the best tampon. This might make your period and prom cooperate a little bit more.
Posts: 286 | From: Ames, IA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icygirl88
Activist
Member # 23887

Now I have heard about the divacup, but it looks pretty uncomfortable, and huge compared to a tampon! I know the vagina stretches but that thing looks like you'd definitely feel it, no?

(Edit) Well, after posting this, I looked at some of the options for a menstrual cup or however you call it, and the one called "Instead" looks pretty amazing. Has anyone used this product - does it really work as well as the site says - and does it leak? Tampons have almost always leaked for me, and I always have to wear a pad + tampon combo on heavier days. If it gives you a "cleaner period" and doesn't affect sex at all, that's just awesome, and I might try it if I can find it.

...(sorry Ms. S this post is digressing from the forum topic [Razz] )

[ 05-12-2006, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: icygirl88 ]

icygirl88
Activist
Member # 23887

I just want to update and say that I did not miss any pills for my prom, I actually tried these kind of menstrual cup things called Instead and they worked great! I actually forgot I had my period. And they last like 10 hours. Plus my boyfriend and I were able to have sex with no blood clean-up afterwards like usual. Thanks for the suggestion to look for other options magpie, I had never even thought of that. I'm glad I didn't screw up my pill cycle at all.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you liked those, for the record, not only does the Divacup or Keeper work better per leaks, it's both a lot more environmentally sound AND will save you a LOT of money. For about the cost of four boxes of Insteads, you can buy one reusable cup which will last you tears and years.

(Mind you, you CANNOT have intercourse with a Divacup or Keeper in -- but you COULD get fitted for a diaphragm if that was important; they can be used as menstrual cups, too.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.