Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Do I NEED to be on the pill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do I NEED to be on the pill?
campfireteen
Neophyte
Member # 22446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for campfireteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's say I have sex on maybe one to three days each month, so not very often. I use a condom correctly each time, and am with the same partner each time. STD's are taken care of with the condom, main issue is pregnancy. How strongly should I be thinking about going on the pill? I really don't like to take meds unless they are really needed, and I don't know how much I like the idea of messing with my hormones. For 3 days of sex each month, do I need the pill?
Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Condoms are pretty darn reliable, when used properly (for all genital contact, w/ lube, etc...) ...

It really is up to you.

What would you do if you had a condom break? How easily accessible is emergency contraception? Have you and your partner had full STI screens?

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
campfireteen
Neophyte
Member # 22446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for campfireteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EC, yes. I could get it if it was needed, but I don't wish to make it a common thing I'll use. Emergencies, thats what it's for, not for cases when we just can't find a condom. Can't find a condom, go buy one.

STI tests, no, but I've looked carefully into both of our history. He's the first person I've ever done anything with, and he has only had some relations with one other person, and he was her first. All parents check out clean as well.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree completely about EC ... This is responsible use of EC. And believe me, it's NOT fun, and not something you'd want to use on a regular basis anyway.

As for the STIs ... As fine and dandy as everything may look from the outside, the only sure way to know is to have the tests done.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.