Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » one more question, sorry :)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: one more question, sorry :)
bagels
Neophyte
Member # 9969

Icon 2 posted      Profile for bagels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I forgot, this was my other main question.

There are many different brands of birth control pills on the market. I know each ones contain estrogen and progesterone, unless they are not the two hormone one. Anyways, I am curious, how can each different brand have a different level of hormones and still be as effective as the next? Shouldn't there be a set level where it is as safe as it gets?

Thanks again.

------------------
-Sarah
Always remember, fighting on the internet is just like the special olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Posts: 9 | From: ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Shouldn't there be a set level where it is as safe as it gets?

Well, that would be a fine idea, if every woman's body was the same. There's a pretty good chance that the levels of hormone I naturally produce won't be exactly the same as the levels of hormone you produce...therefore, to have optimum protection, I may need a pill that differs from the formulation you need. That's why sometimes you have to try different formulations (brands) of the pill in order to find one that works correctly for you. Make sense?

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bagels
Neophyte
Member # 9969

Icon 11 posted      Profile for bagels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup makes sense. Lets say I was on the 'wrong' formulation... how would I even know that perhaps before it is too late and I am pregnant??

------------------
-Sarah
Always remember, fighting on the internet is just like the special olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Posts: 9 | From: ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
also, some pills do contain the same levels of hormones, but they contain "different" hormones.

for example, Ortho TriCyclen contains a synthetic progesterone called norgestimate. Triphasil contains a synthetic progesterone called levonorgestrel. The molecules are constructed differently, but they can still trigger the same receptors as reall biological progesterone.

Pharmaceutical companies do this all the time. They make their money by tweeking with different molecule shapes, adding a carbon here, or an oxygen there, or so forth so that they come up with an "original" molecule" that has some function and then they can patent it and make money.

In the case of hormone, because the hormone isn't 100% exactly like the molecule in our bodies, its properties are also not 100% the same. some substitutes might have effects that are more potent than what is found in your body. or they can be weaker. so the pramaceutical company chemists have to do all sorts of tests to find out what concentrations of chemical are just right for the job.

------------------
"I am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t....I mean s-m-A-r-t." Homer J. Simpson
"Mmm ... floor pie!" Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually if the formulation you're on isn't good for you, you'll notice some problem with it. Excessive/costant break through bleeding, illness, nausea, cramping, no lightening of your period, etc. (sometimes you may experience these side effects when you begin taking the pill, which is ok...but if you continue to notice them or they are very severe, then that indicates that there is a problem and you may need either a larger or smaller or simply different dosages or maybe that hormonal birth control isn't something your body can adjust to) It's kinda like taking cough medicine...if you take it, and you're still coughing, you know you need something else.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yup makes sense. Lets say I was on the 'wrong' formulation... how would I even know that perhaps before it is too late and I am pregnant??

well, all things take getting used to. which is why we always strongly suggest using condoms as a backup till you are sure things are going fine.

as for signs you are on the wrong formula? excessive water retention, excessive or irregular bleeding, mood swings, nausea and a handful of other signs i don't seem to recall right now.

------------------
"I am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t....I mean s-m-A-r-t." Homer J. Simpson
"Mmm ... floor pie!" Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kena
Neophyte
Member # 10011

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kena     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason why there are so many brands of pills out there is more their side effects than their effectiveness per say.

Different formulations will give about the same protection from pregnancy (or so says the little booklet that comes with them), but they might have different side effects. For instance, pills with lower doses of estrogen and higher doses of progesterone might make you more acne prone. On the other hand, high doses of estrogen can cause nausea. Every woman responds differently to those side effects, which explains why there is such a variety.

For instance, I am very nausea prone so I'd rather take a high progesterone pill and get a few zits (I am on Alesse right now). On the other hand, some gals choose a high estrogen pill to clear up their acne (Tricyclen is one of them I think).

I highly suggest you talk about this with your doctor. He or she will be able to explain which brand is better for you. Doctors even have little charts which show, in theory, which kind of pill should cause which kind of side effect.

By the way, my source for this knowledge is my GP, with whom I had a lengthy discussion on the topic on my last visit, trying to find a pill that finally fits for me.

[This message has been edited by kena (edited 09-23-2002).]

Posts: 24 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.