Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » a few questions about the pill.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a few questions about the pill.
bagels
Neophyte
Member # 9969

Icon 5 posted      Profile for bagels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Normally I consider myself pretty educated but there are a few things I've always wondered about.

I'm sure someone may have come here before asking about this, and so I apologize for being repetitive, but I have been told by a friend that you can skip the week of placebo pills in the birth control pack, and still be just as safe as always. Like for the month you keep going right on into the next pack. Normally I wouldn't like to mess with my pills at ALL as I'm very responsible with them, but my boyfriend is coming home to visit from college. He only comes every little bit and this is his first time back since he began, and it is RIGHT when I am on the worst part of my period. So. I am interested in this... can you verify that it is just as safe as if I were to have my period and take the placebos?

Also, my doctor said there is still speculation as to whether or not one ovulates while on the pill. Isn't that the pill's purpose and method of preventing conception? By stopping ovulation? Seems kind of questionable.

Anyways, thanks for the help!

------------------
-Sarah
Always remember, fighting on the internet is just like the special olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Posts: 9 | From: ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't skip the placebos and go to the next pack unless you are told to do so by your doctor. endometrial cells (the ones that line your vagina) divide rapidly. this means they can also mutate rapidly. when you menstruate, you remove these cells, but holding them in gives them more chances to screw up, and thus can pose a *cancer* risk.

now, depending on the type of pill you are on, you may or may not ovulate. if your pill is a "mini-pill' made of synthetic progesterone (check out the chemical name, if it has the root -gest in there somewhere, then it's progesterone), then you will continue to ovulate. however, the hormones prevent your cervical mucus from allowing sperm to pass into your uterus.

if your pill is a "combo-pill" containing both progesterone *AND* estrogen (check for the prefix estr-), you will not ovulate. the hormone formula suppresses the chain of hormone triggers to cause ovulation.

------------------
"I am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t....I mean s-m-A-r-t." Homer J. Simpson
"Mmm ... floor pie!" Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't mess with your pills until you talk to your doctor. Call them and ask if it's alright for you to skip your placebos. And understand that if the answer is yes, there is no guarentee that you won't menstruate or spot at least a little bit, because some women still do that. So as I said, take a second and call your doctor's office.

quote:
From Planned Parenthood - You and the Pill:
Combination pills usually work by preventing a woman's ovaries from releasing eggs (ovulation). Progestin-only pills also can prevent ovulation. But they usually work by thickening the cervical mucus. This keeps sperm from joining with an egg. Combination pills also thicken cervical mucus. Both types of pill can also prevent fertilized eggs from implanting in the uterus.

Part of the idea is to prevent ovulation...although if you don't take it correctly, you can still ovulate. I haven't heard about any studies questioning whether or not you REALLY ovulate while on the pill recently. Perhaps someone else here has...

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate (and Labia Lady)

"The whole world is full of morons...they just congregate on the internet cause it's easy for them to push the buttons."

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bagels
Neophyte
Member # 9969

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bagels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was not instructed to do so by my doctor, however she said that it would be alright and that it is just as safe. But if it poses a cancer risk then I shouldn't, obviously. Thing is, so many girls hear this from doctors that its okay...

------------------
-Sarah
Always remember, fighting on the internet is just like the special olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Posts: 9 | From: ON, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey bagels.

Just a note: we're pretty big around here on being inclusive and positive to everyone and anyone, and that includes the developmentally disabled population, for whom "retarded" as a term, and the sentiment in your sig line, is pretty demeaning. You may or may not be aware of that.

If you'd please choose a sig quote, if you want one, that is positive for everyone and doesn't insult or demean, I'd be appreciative. Thanks much.

While I'm at it: men who have relationships with women get used to them menstruating just like women get used to menstruating themselves. It's mornal stuff. And sexual activity is perfectly fine to do, if you like, when menstruating. It is also fine, if that's something you aren't comfy with or don't like, to say "Hey, I'm on my period right now and I'm not comfortable with sex," and find other things to do. If any given relationship is a make-or-break deal due to nnot having sex on one visit or another -- even if you both want it -- it's time to do some thinking.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 09-17-2002).]

Posts: 68232 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bagels
Neophyte
Member # 9969

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bagels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay... sorry about that.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.