Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » Birth Control at College

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control at College
CKBrigid
Neophyte
Member # 7675

Icon 5 posted      Profile for CKBrigid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm leaving for college in a little over a month and was wondering if anyone had an opinion for me. I am currently on Lunelle which I get at a Planned Parenthood clinic. I'm wondering if I would be better off to get my Lunelle at my college clinic (if it is offered) or go to a Planned Parenthood which is about 1/2 hour away. Would the cost be different and would my parents find out if I use the college clinic? ...Has anyone had any experience with this situation?

[This message has been edited by CKBrigid (edited 07-22-2002).]

Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found that buying birth control on campus to be a great and wonderful thing.

I obtained a prescription from my dad (a physician). I noticed that full price for a 3 month supply of my pills was list-priced at $169. I was able to buy them at school for $4.

Colleges and universities tend to be well tuned to the needs of the students, so STD tests, contraception (condoms, the pill, etc), even safer sex and relationship counseling are usually available to students. When you get there, make sure you find out what's available to you. Ask your RA, also find out if you have health workers in your dorms. They are often an overlooked service.

------------------
"Go that way really fast, and if anything gets in your way ... turn." Better off Dead starring a teenaged John Cusack.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
earth girl
Neophyte
Member # 7759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for earth girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's a lot of money! Even for a Brit who isn't too hot on the conversion rate from $ to £.

We do also have to pay for prescriptions (although the National Health Service must subsidise a lot of it) but contraceptive pills are free here. Phew

It's such a shame that girls can be prevented from getting access to the pill because of cost... mind you, you guys have insurance, don't you? Heh, I'm confusing myself now

Posts: 36 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CKBrigid
Neophyte
Member # 7675

Icon 7 posted      Profile for CKBrigid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...that's a really good thing to know. Thanks. I'm definitely going to check out the clinic now. I just have to remember to get my records from PP and bring them with me.
Posts: 8 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.