Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Safer Sex & Birth Control » condoms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: condoms
koolest53
Activist
Member # 5210

Icon 5 posted      Profile for koolest53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

hey, i was wondering if the brand of condom matters in it's performance? i have a brand i got called LifeStyles and wondered if its ok to use. please help me out!

Posts: 92 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, Lifestyles is perfectly okay to use, along with the rest of the condoms you find in drugstores and such (although some of us have our personal preferences). Just be sure that you don't use novelty condoms for safe sex purposes.

For more info on condom brands check out Safer Sex forum.

I'll transfer this to Safer Sex.

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CandyDreams123
Activist
Member # 5593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CandyDreams123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've used Lifestyle condoms before , I personally didn't like them that much, there is nothing wrong with them I just don't like them, but they are safe to use.
Posts: 62 | From: TN | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of our other advocates just recently posted a this thread which contains a link to a report concerning the safety ratings on many condoms. Also you migth check out this thread which has not only some links to similar threads, but also a bit about which condoms many users prefer and why.

In some cases, yes, the brand of condom does matter in it's preformance. Some brands just tend to be better than others. Additionally, some brands will work better for you personally than others will. For example, we highly recommend Durex condoms around here as being good quality condoms, and they are. But for my boyfriend, they just don't fit quite right. So while the brand itself is good, and we never had a problem with one breaking, it just didn't work for us.

Check out those threads, and read around this forum a bit, you'll find all kinds of good stuff!

------------------
~KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Advocate

There's hair there for a reason!

"Never insult an alligator until after you've crossed the river." ~Oriental Proverb

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CandyDreams123
Activist
Member # 5593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CandyDreams123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HOw good are the Kimono microthins?? I was thinkin about getting some of those.

Do u think its better to have one brand of condoms or more than one brand?

Posts: 62 | From: TN | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never tried the Kimono microthins, but a lot of people around here seem to like them.

I think it's good to try a bunch of different kinds of condoms until you get an idea of what feels right for you and your partner. I tend to buy three packs of various kinds, and, if we like a particular brand, to buy a larger pack.

however, if one brand works for you, adn works well, there's no real need to switch.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boyfriend and I have tried the Kimono Microthins, and we're very pleased with them. Good quality, and a good fit for him.

Like Erin said, just try different kinds till you find what works for you, and then stick to them if you like them.

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooh, i give Kimono Microthins a big thumbs up! I like the feel of them, as does he. Other Kimono condoms I've tried are the Maxx and PS varieties, and they're okay. But I gotta say for comfort and durability, Microthins are a close second to my all-time fave: Durex Ultimate Feeling (thin and textured, a fabulous combination).

------------------
I bust my arse so that I can get somewhere in life, so why am I not there yet?

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.