Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » I Heart Sarah Haskins

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I Heart Sarah Haskins
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously.

http://current.com/users/Sarah_Haskins/all/0.htm

Check out the menu for her pieces on birth control, diets, skincare marketing, online dating, the works.

LOVE, love, love her.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beckylein
Activist
Member # 33869

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beckylein     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too hilarious/awesome! Thanks so much for sharing [Smile]

--------------------
"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt; sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth." ~Mark Twain

Posts: 59 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DaisyMazy
Activist
Member # 36719

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaisyMazy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that! Those are awesome! I needed a laugh today.
Posts: 74 | From: Austin, Tx | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, I'm a big fan of her Target Women segments-- always so funny and just flat out true. They are all good but I think my personal favorite is the cleaning episode. [Smile]
Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE target women, it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen. "We don't have to listen to jazz anymore!" "I can't speak French!" "I believe in witches!" *laughs very loudly in internet cafe and wonders if zie's being stared at but doesn't care*.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joaniehippopotamus_theninth
Neophyte
Member # 42398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joaniehippopotamus_theninth         Edit/Delete Post 
omg! Sarah Haskins is so awesome! I always watch every new target women when it comes out and get sad when a new one doesn't come out for awhile. I don't think I can pick a favorite, I agree with Ecofem that the cleaning one is amazing. I also really like the cooking one. It's so great to see humor that is actually funny and poking fun at sexism instead of not funny and reifying sexism, like so much mainstream humor is.
Posts: 10 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orca
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33665

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the chocolate one the best. Since watching it, I keep noticing just how many ads for chocolate or other desserts are aimed at women. I'm very curious as to why the ads are aimed at women.

--------------------
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 2726 | From: North America | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bun Bun
Activist
Member # 37353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bun Bun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The chocolate one reminds me of that Axe commercial with the terrifying looking chocolate man that women keep taking chunks out of. Well, I'm allergic to cocoa! Take that Axe!

I really like the Disney Princesses one [Smile] "Not the statue of the guy I just met!!"

Posts: 206 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joaniehippopotamus_theninth
Neophyte
Member # 42398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joaniehippopotamus_theninth         Edit/Delete Post 
Orca, I think that's a really interesting question. I think that maybe one factor is that since women are constantly being told that we need to be thin, thinner than whatever our current size is, that then food companies feel that they have to work extra hard to convince us to eat all of their products. My other thought was that it has to do with the stereotype of men like sex and women like chocolate, and sometimes it's even pushed to weird extremes in which the chocolate is like a sexual experience, since women aren't supposed to like sex, chocolate and other deserts are the way we can satisfy our physical desires or something. Have you seen that one Dove commercial with the woman wearing a chocolate brown silk nightgown and then she falls into a bed covered with chocolate brown silk sheets and then flowing chocolate brown sheets envelop her?
Posts: 10 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StrangePudding
Activist
Member # 40765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StrangePudding     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite movies, Down With Love, deals with this 'Sex = chocolate for women' issue. Basically, the idea of one character is that women should be learn to disassociate love and sex the 'way that men do' so that they can have sex whenever and with whomever they please. In order to do this, the woman's supposed to give up sex for a while and instead...eat a hella lot of chocolate. Yeah. OK, the more I write this the sillier this movie sounds...but it's really funny! [Smile]
Posts: 222 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amelie poulain
Neophyte
Member # 30345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amelie poulain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sarah Haskins is amazing. I love this editorial of hers on her Barbie's sex life:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/06/AR2009030602038.html

Posts: 7 | From: canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.