Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » the notebook

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: the notebook
hunnybunny888
Activist
Member # 29737

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hunnybunny888     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not really sure where to put this, but I was wondering what people on these boards thought of the movie "the notebook"

personally, I strongly disliked it. Not only was it predictable and the ending just much too cheesy for me, not to mention Noah's magical acquiring of money but I thought it gave a HORRIBLE example of an "ideal" or "romantic" relationship

ideas like : if a girl says no, what she really means is stalk her until she likes you.

and : if you get the chance, always stay with your first love, no matter how many ultimatums he shouts at you, or how unstable your relationship is

or : being in a relationship with someone for 3 or 4 months is enough to know them enough , that you can have no contact with them for 7 years, and in that time havea healthy fulfulling relationship with someone else, see them again for a couple days, fall back in love with them, and marry them.

and : cheating is okay as long as you are really in love with the person you are cheating with

the list goes on...

I guess I was most shocked because when I watched it I had heard so many positive reviews, labels of "the best love story of all time" I mean, I understand it's a movie and it's exaggerated, but in my opinion it's just EXAGGERATING bad ideas.

So many of my friends love this movie, more disconcertingly most of them agree with her decision at the end. It almost just makes me wonder how many people will always think they should have gone with their first love if they still have fond memories or feel a little something for them (which is normal) and mistake this as still being in love with them. Or how many people will now find it even more romantic when men threaten to be with them and such like that...I don't know...I know it's just a movie but it kinda bugs me.

Posts: 246 | From: canada | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Koi
Activist
Member # 39785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Koi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kind of agree with what you are saying hunnybunny. Although, when I watch movies, I think part of the attraction is the fantastical aspect. I know my girlfriends are really down-to-earth about their relationships, but they still love the movie because it's like watching a fairy tale. You just kind of have to suspend your disbelief.

I think it's a personal preference. While my friends where crying, I was laughing because I thought the situation was quite unrealistic. I still found the movie entertaining.

However, I agree that, because there are so many idealized relationships in our media, it shapes our ideas of what a relationship should be like, whether we know it or not. I watched the movie a long time ago, so I kind of forget what happens, but I can see what you are saying.

--------------------
"Love is the answer, but while you are waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions."

Posts: 171 | From: USA/CHINA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.