Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » How to Look Good Naked

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to Look Good Naked
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This show premiered tonight on Lifetime Network. It's hosted by Carson Kressley (of Queer Eye fame). It's a reality show about women who hate their appearance. Carson shows them how to dress to flatter their figures while addressing their body image issues. He has the women size themselves up against a panel of models to see how they stack up.

I missed the show, and I normally don't watch Lifetime. But my friend is one of the models on the program (see the curvy redhead in the ads? that's her!), and when she told me about filming the show (many months ago), I thought the premise was brilliant.

Here's a link: http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/shows/how-look-good-naked?gclid=CL_-t5ep2ZACFQ2SHgodqhykPA

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched it--- it was awesome-- amazing!
Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe this show is based on another version of it with the same title, possibly from Britain? At any rate, I've seen episodes of this other show on a network called "W" here in Canada, with a stylist named Gok Wan.

http://www.wnetwork.com/tv_shows/shows/how_to_look_good_naked/index.asp

If the American version is as good as this one, then I'm glad it's being made! My mom finds the W version very comforting, since it's got a very staunch anti-plastic surgery position and is all about accepting the curves you've got. And it's very surprising to see how many of the people on the show have a sort of dysmorphia about their bodies when they're sizing themselves up against the panel of models.

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hs123
Activist
Member # 35336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hs123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's just so good--- It makes you realize that sometimes you see yourself totally differently than other people--- you see yourself worse because sometimes we're so critical of ourselves...

It's about realizing youre beautiful the way you are--- not only inside (because that never seems satisfying enough) but on the outside too.. That's what I love about it---It's about remaking your self-image into a positive one...
I love it! (Clearly)

Posts: 401 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched the UK version of the show for the first time, and I'm impressed. Definitely a "feel good" show. I don't know if the US version is the same, but this episode showed a lot of naked breasts and I think that was one of the best parts for me. Made me feel better about my own. [Smile]

I will for sure keep watching and I highly recommend it!

[ 01-15-2008, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: blysse_norwood ]

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just eyeballed this, and I have to say, I was pretty pleasantly surprised.

Especially since, as some of you know, one other arena I've worked in is photography work to help women with body image. So, suffice it to say, I've got high standards with this sort of thing.

But honestly, I was impressed, and there were a few bits in there that struck me as very original and pretty brilliant. There's some of it I was a bit "meh," about -- mostly because it seemed to kind of define female beauty in a way that was limited in terms of gender identity, in other words, that was only very femme, and not all women are -- but I'd say my cheers outweighed my jeers.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lala22x
Neophyte
Member # 36669

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lala22x     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i watched it i was nice it can defetnetly feel may ppl good many dont have a special guy to tell you everyday how beautiful u r so u gota learn to tell and make urself feel beautiful...

--------------------
lala

Posts: 3 | From: The US of america | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leabug
Activist
Member # 27966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leabug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Do keep in mind that not everyone WANTS a special guy- what about those not attracted to males? And, even if you do have a partner, it's still not healthy to base your entire self esteem in what they think of your body. [Smile] )

--------------------
Lea

Posts: 2332 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.