Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Unprotected: A Campus Psychiatrist Reveals How Political Correctness in Her...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Unprotected: A Campus Psychiatrist Reveals How Political Correctness in Her...
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.amazon.com/Unprotected-Psychiatrist-Political-Correctness-Profession/dp/1595230254

sorry, long title didn't fit in the Subject bar. The book is called 'Unprotected: A Campus Psychiatrist Reveals How Political Correctness in Her Profession Endangers Every Student' by "Anonymous MD." It's a treatise about how college women have adopted a culture of hooking up and how it's adversely affecting their mental health.

no, i haven't read the book. i hardly ever read books.

but i will say i have heard the author in interviews, and I don't really like the premise of the book. Her thesis is that young women go to college, cut loose and become promiscuous under social conditions that promote that kind of behavior, then they pay a high price psychologically. She argues that liberal campus policies and social mores regarding sexual behavior of students create problems that campus health professionals are unable to address because of the political sensitivity of admonishing people for their choices.

anyway, again, i didn't read the book. but i will say i've been to college. i know that sex is as freely available as cheap beer, and the two are usually in the same place at the same time. i know it's easy to hook up. but i think if the book offers advice on how to sharpen people's ability to identify what it is they're looking for in a relationship and help people learn to make smarter decisions, i'm sure a lot fewer people would come out of a hookup feeling butt-hurt.

as for the author in interview, she said something that really annoyed me. she said that women behave differently from men after sex because women secrete oxytocin during orgasm, which promotes bonding and trsuting feelings. the obvious fallacy here is that MEN make oxytocin, too.

the book is definitely directed at women. but what about men? do you not think men -- straight or gay -- ever feel hurt or used after hookups? well yes they do! but it really boils down to the choices we make, and how we feel about the outcomes.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Her thesis is that young women go to college, cut loose and become promiscuous under social conditions that promote that kind of behavior, then they pay a high price psychologically.
One has to also wonder how much -- if any -- research she did on women in education before the seventies and eighties.

TONS of women, because sexual control of them was such a big deal, ended up leaving their schooling because if marriage was an option, they were expected to. And if they got romantically and sexually involved in college, it was expected they'd get married to do so "acceptably," and yet again, that often meant them leaving school to cook and clean for the rest of their lives.

Or hell, on women in the fifties and sixties, PERIOD.

Takes like this just strike me as red herrings. In other words, all of this stems from way bigger issues, ones that are often less popular to voice and explore. There's always extra points given if you go a way like this instead, especially if -- per usual, how bloody tired -- you put women continually in a position of sexual policing of men, you put women in a position of saying their chastity will fix everything, you say women having sexual autonomy is a problem, and hold up all sorts of traditional ideas about gender. Blah, blah. Same old malarkey.

[ 01-27-2007, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.